• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ranking of Kings

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of glad Kage and Bojji aren't sticking together, their dialogue exchanges in episode 1, where Kage repeats what Bojji means in a questioning voice so that the audience can hear it and then answer the question really got on my nerves, even though it's a fairly minor thing
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks for listening, LL!

Enjoyed this week's review and episode. 5/5
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My biggest remaining question is: What the hell is up with the literal goddamn demon that manifests from King Bosse's body?! That was some grade-A insanity and then all it does is chuckle to itself and point a gnarled finger at Bojji. Talk about ominous!

What if the story is similar to Dororo where the king had made a pact with that demon. Could explain Bojji's small stature and deafness as his situation could be similar to Hyakkimaru's. Though from what little we saw of King Bosse, he doesn't seem like a greedy dad like Hyakkimaru's was.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
So we still don't now what's odd and what's normal in this world. I find a demon leaping out of a corpse to be less odd than a cat sized three headed snake who lost its middle head growing to the size larger than an elephant in just a few years.

Did I just write that sentence? Even reading back word by word, it doesn't make any sense.

It could be like seeing Mothra without any backstory or mythology; "Well, it's a giant moth" becomes a lot more interesting when we learn it's a living God that reincarnates itself. Here, it's a three headed snake but I keep wanting to call it Hydra.... which is usually 9 headed... but I also keep thinking of three headed monster Ghidorah which is based on the myth of the 8 headed dragon but Toho went with fewer heads because it's just easier to work with so....

A devil? He's a just a devil, just another guy named Joe without context. That snake is just outright peculiar no matter how you look at it.
Oh yeah, the snake talks... Three heads, underground, very loyal... OK, I'm going to throw in Cerberus while I'm at it.

Why and how did he lose his middle head? It implies intent as well as cruelty.

As always I'm a sucker for selfless acts of heroism and Hilling went from Zero to Better Than Hero when she went out the window after Boffi. Wow, killing the Evil Stepmother and Evil Queen tropes in one move, pretty deft and economical. She's no longer Cersei but I'm still sensing a lot of Joffrey in her son.

Speaking of intent and Cruelty...
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Sooo, I feel like I should just stop making guesses at this point because at this rate I might accidentally end up spoiling the show. Laughing But I’m still gonna guess that demon was some kinda Faustian deal that granted King Bosse his ridiculous strength.
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
yeah, the latest episode had a lot to take in. Still great though! I especially loved Bojji's thumbs-up when eating dinner. Was hoping it would be the thumbnail for the episode 4 review. Current thumbnail is great too!

Great range of expressions from Bojji in this episode
Ruddor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay so a lot of stuff happened in episode 4, but I want to break down 3 of the scenes you brought up and offer up a theory. So first of all, Bojji's stolen bag just so happens to be right in his path as he's leaving the village. Pretty convenient, huh? Then, when Bojji falls into the pit trap, a pebble hits him, turning his attention to the cave with the hermit king. Sound familliar? Which leads us to the most important scene: when they are "attacked" in the camp. Domas hands Bojji a piece of meat, but it is knocked out of his hand before he can take a bite by what Domas recognizes as Bevin's daggers. The family of foxes that eat the meat instead are found dead the next morning and Hokuro assumes the daggers were poisonous.

But what if he's wrong? What if it was actually the meat itself that was poisoned (presumably by Domas). My theory is that Kage is protecting Bojji from the literal shadows. I also think that maybe the "special mission" from Bevin either is or is related to protecting Bojji, hence why Kage has those daggers.

Sorry for the long post, but I really love this show! Thank you Lynzee for your reviews!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
That's a really great theory! I forgot about the rock hitting him to direct him to the forest king, but I did think the bag could be related to Kage somehow and possibly the shurikans because I think Kage's mother used them too? I hope you're right, that'd be a great twist!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:23 am Reply with quote
Okay, I guess they aren't going to include all the important information they left out from the chapters they used in episode 3...

This adaptation is really losing something by attempting to turn the story into a mystery, instead of letting scenes have the weight of knowledge that you the viewer has but the characters don't.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote
Daida and Domas are living proof that the road to hell is paved with good intentions and that blindly following orders is a disservice to everyone, including the person giving the orders.
chao8971

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
No idea if it is correct but I figured the crazy forest guy was one of the kings that was #1 that had gone mad. I also figured that the lance guy is the one helping him out currently instead of the lil shadow dude. We'll have to wait and see, but this show has been lovely. I feel like we get a good fantasy anime like rarely and this one is a treat.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Okay, I guess they aren't going to include all the important information they left out from the chapters they used in episode 3...

This adaptation is really losing something by attempting to turn the story into a mystery, instead of letting scenes have the weight of knowledge that you the viewer has but the characters don't.

On the other hand, I look forward to checking out the manga when this all wraps up and having a wildly different experience! For now, I don't mind sticking so closely to Bojji's perspective. The world is equally new to both him and us, so I feel like it works.
L0ken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:

Not really,I peaked at the raws later and asked some people who read ahead in japanese,there will be much better place to show those information and flashbacks compared to how manga did it.Since a bit of reshuffling is going on,little things like putting a bit of Domas backstory at the start of ep and even including clarification about Domas/Bosse fighting style were included now.

Also manga is rather fast paced itself and chapters are usually pretty short,that sometimes don't have much text at all,so anime adaptation pace feels spot on.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Ruddor wrote:
But what if he's wrong? What if it was actually the meat itself that was poisoned (presumably by Domas). My theory is that Kage is protecting Bojji from the literal shadows. I also think that maybe the "special mission" from Bevin either is or is related to protecting Bojji, hence why Kage has those daggers.

Yes, this is exactly what I thought. The bag, and everything. The second those daggers came plunging into the meat, I thought poison. I really do hope it’s Kage protecting Bojji. Smile

chao8971 wrote:
No idea if it is correct but I figured the crazy forest guy was one of the kings that was #1 that had gone mad. I also figured that the lance guy is the one helping him out currently instead of the lil shadow dude. We'll have to wait and see, but this show has been lovely. I feel like we get a good fantasy anime like rarely and this one is a treat.

I didn’t twig to this while watching, but I bet you’re right!
moony_badger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I love the theory that it's Kage protecting Bojji from the shadows, though I hope he shows up again in person soon! I really miss his wholehearted support of Bojji without pitying, the poor kid could really use it. I have wanted to fight Domas to the death basically since episode one and this episode has only intensified this feeling.

I would also like to add that Hokuro is a good lad and I like how Domas talking to him about having the resolve to follow through on orders foreshadowed his own stalwart upholding of the terrible orders he himself was given.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12