• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ranking of Kings

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A couple of face slaps would have been fine instead of busting up his whole face.

Yeah, that seemed quite excessive.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Can't wait to learn what Bojji's weapon is.

My bet is it's a staff of some kind which would be a cool lead up to him facing Apeas.

A staff would be cool. But my guess is something lighter/smaller like a rapier or stiletto. It’s fun to guess, can’t wait til we find out! Very Happy
Ding Ding Ding, You've won the guess the right weapon game.

I was worried that Despa was being a crook when I saw him meet up with the 3 orc's after the bar fight. Good thing that turned out to be un-true.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:

I was worried that Despa was being a crook when I saw him meet up with the 3 orc's after the bar fight. Good thing that turned out to be un-true.

You too? Man, I swear my heart sank and then soared within a minute there, lol. I was so worried he'd staged the fight or something. Also, yeah, I kinda found Bojji's beating himself up a touch excessive, though I was actually pleased to see that even Bojji wasn't all sunshine and roses, and that years of distancing from Queen Hiling, however well meant, had actually taken a toll on Bojji and his perception of her (as much as I love her, that socially awkward dork!!!). I also thought it was a nice touch that, as Bojji was only privy to Domas' betrayal, he automatically lumped Hokuro in there as Domas' accomplice.

P.S. I guess this finally answers the question of the "snake attack" from Episode 1, as it seems to have just been a routine training exercise.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Can't wait to learn what Bojji's weapon is.

My bet is it's a staff of some kind which would be a cool lead up to him facing Apeas.

A staff would be cool. But my guess is something lighter/smaller like a rapier or stiletto. It’s fun to guess, can’t wait til we find out! Very Happy

Thank you! I’ve played the game often, but never come close to winning before Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm late to the party, (on episode 9 as I type) but this has to be the most unpredictable anime I've ever watch, especially after episode 8. With Boji being the strongest, Bosse returning and Domas living, I'm on pins and needles wondering who is going to meet his or her's maker first. I'm SO happy I read Lynzee's take on this anime, it just flew under the radar for me and I believe, (depending how it ends this season) it'll be my favorite for 2021 which I didn't feel possible after watching Mushoku Tensei, Re: Zero 3 and Miss Kobayashi S. Just an unbelievable totally original series that brings out the best in what anime brings to the table in the world of animation. It needs to be shown broadly. Cartoon Network, I'm looking at you with binoculars!
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The second cour OP theme and animation is pure perfection.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
It's heavily implied in episode 4 via Apeas's conversation with the rep from the Ranking that the reason Kingbo's dad has lost his mind is because of the treasure he picked after being ranked first (presumably the rune sword we see him with standing outside the burning city).

At the start of the episode Apeas asks about the rumour about repeated winners losing their minds after picking the same item from the divine treasure hoard, and then later we meet this king living in the wilderness.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The new OP is so gorgeous! I especially love those transitions with Miranjo and the shots towards the end with Boji and Hiling (side note: only a little nervous about Boji turning away from her in the shadows and I'm sure hoping nothing bad will happen to her)

Brack wrote:
It's heavily implied in episode 4 via Apeas's conversation with the rep from the Ranking that the reason Kingbo's dad has lost his mind is because of the treasure he picked after being ranked first (presumably the rune sword we see him with standing outside the burning city).

At the start of the episode Apeas asks about the rumour about repeated winners losing their minds after picking the same item from the divine treasure hoard, and then later we meet this king living in the wilderness.

Yes! It took me a minute to remember when watching this week's episode but I love that we're getting a bit more about that now seeing Kingbo and those quick flashbacks.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:11 pm Reply with quote
What's been bothering since the first set has now become an actual problem:

Ranking of Kings: Kill somebody, anybody. And make it stick.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My crops died.
Laughing

Ouken was pretty crazy, but that blush mark over the helmet did get a laugh out of me.

These connections to Kingbo's father from ep. 4 are great.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:

GOOD POINT I forgot about that
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
What's been bothering since the first set has now become an actual problem:

Ranking of Kings: Kill somebody, anybody. And make it stick.

...You realize the show opens with the lyrics "throw away your malice", right? I think you may be missing the show's thesis here. Though we could still wind up with dead bad guys, I guess, though Miranjo is *absolutely* making it out of this alive, no doubt as a friend(? victim???) of the Devil from earlier.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
You realize the show opens with the lyrics "throw away your malice", right? I think you may be missing the show's thesis here.

It's not a question of hating characters and/or wanting to see them dead. It's that the "OMG He's dead! Wait, no he's not!" shtick is getting tired. It's becoming the equivalent of the camera tilt-up to the sky with the sound of a gunshot, and then finding out a different person or nobody got shot.

So far we've had Bosse, Bojji, Kage, Bebin, Kingbo, and probably some others I'm forgetting, who've apparently been killed, but psych! they're not dead yet! Kage's mother and clan, and maybe Kingbo's wife and child may be the only ones who've stayed dead, and I won't be shocked if we learn they've been hiding out quite alive, thanks.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
"Psyche! He's not dead!" hasn't bothered me in RoK so far. Certainly has fatigued me in other shows, though. May keep an extra eye out for it now, out of curiosity.

I think my biggest fear about RoK is that I am somewhat invested in every character, but not deeply invested in any of them. Even Boji -- I mean, I love the boy, good god. And he has grown. But much, much less than I would have expected of a well-written protagonist of so many episodes; a casualty of the rest of the cast being given depth, I think. And I feel even more ... impressively non-negligible yet not-quite-passionately about the rest of the cast?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It's not a question of hating characters and/or wanting to see them dead. It's that the "OMG He's dead! Wait, no he's not!" shtick is getting tired. It's becoming the equivalent of the camera tilt-up to the sky with the sound of a gunshot, and then finding out a different person or nobody got shot.

So far we've had Bosse, Bojji, Kage, Bebin, Kingbo, and probably some others I'm forgetting, who've apparently been killed, but psych! they're not dead yet! Kage's mother and clan, and maybe Kingbo's wife and child may be the only ones who've stayed dead, and I won't be shocked if we learn they've been hiding out quite alive, thanks.

Ah, I gotcha. Bebin and Kingbo I'll grant you (I think we can assume no one thought Bojji and Kage would die), but I'd argue that Bosse actually runs counter to that, since he actually did die, and had to be resurrected, not healed (or in Bojji and Kage's cases, shielded) like any of the other characters. The fact that he's alive past his actual lifetime is a source of conflict for a lot of the cast that they all have to figure out how to navigate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12