• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Platinum End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, for whatever reason the new review doesn't seem to be showing up on the front page or the Episode Review main page, but the episode 23 review is up!
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
So, I get that Shuji couldn't kill Saki and friends despite being affected by Yoneda's red arrow that was a thing established about the red arrows many episodes ago. But I'm not sure it makes sense to me that he'd let the three go. Wouldn't that be betraying Yoneda? And then he just gives Temari his white arrow? I mean granted I did kinda zone out during whatever explanation that was given about how Temari "tricked" Shuji into giving away his white arrow but still it doesn't make sense to me that red arrowed Shuji would let the three go instead of just, I dunno, keep them imprisoned.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Apparently platinum is highly overvalued, or maybe the whole point of this mess is you will feel like you got some by reaching the end?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
So, I get that Shuji couldn't kill Saki and friends despite being affected by Yoneda's red arrow that was a thing established about the red arrows many episodes ago. But I'm not sure it makes sense to me that he'd let the three go. Wouldn't that be betraying Yoneda? And then he just gives Temari his white arrow? I mean granted I did kinda zone out during whatever explanation that was given about how Temari "tricked" Shuji into giving away his white arrow but still it doesn't make sense to me that red arrowed Shuji would let the three go instead of just, I dunno, keep them imprisoned.

When Temari said she had "tricked" Nakaumi for the arrow i thought she had told him something like "I'll kill Yellow since you can't" or something along those lines, but instead she legit just tells him "i don't trust you so give me the arrow" and he gives it to her???? Really seems Ohba straight up gave up and hit the gas to get this turd done asap one way or another
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Nicholas Dupree wrote:
Platinum End has felt like a show without a plan, being written by the seat of its pants

Shouldn't be a surprise, because Death Note was the same. Ohba admitted in an interview that his method of writing Death Note consisted of putting Light into a massive jam at the end of one chapter, and then spending the time until the next chapter figuring out how to get him out of it. Obata was also shocked to hear this, and at first thought he was joking.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Adding to the above, Ohba also mentioned that spoiler[L's death] was decided on a cointoss
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The negative results of the coin tosses this time around stretch the rules of probability :/.
Alternately perhaps the problem is that he stopped tossing coins?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:57 am Reply with quote
I've always, always said that Death Note was a deeply overrated show held together by not having any competition. It's the anime version of BBC's Sherlock. Ohba is a fuckwit of a writer and this shit show proved exactly that. And the [expletive] epilogue that we'll have next week will just cement the sheer idiocy of this all.

God, I deeply, deeply hate this story. It manages to be sexist, arrogant, vapid, pretentious, gratuitous, unfunny, prejudiced and stupid all at once. This shit? This shit is what happens when someone thinks he's smarter than he is, has people tell how brilliant he is for years, doesn't do any homework and then goes on to write something with this conceited perspective. It's just exhausting.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:49 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
I've always, always said that Death Note was a deeply overrated show held together by not having any competition. It's the anime version of BBC's Sherlock. Ohba is a fuckwit of a writer and this shit show proved exactly that. And the [expletive] epilogue that we'll have next week will just cement the sheer idiocy of this all.

God, I deeply, deeply hate this story. It manages to be sexist, arrogant, vapid, pretentious, gratuitous, unfunny, prejudiced and stupid all at once. This shit? This shit is what happens when someone thinks he's smarter than he is, has people tell how brilliant he is for years, doesn't do any homework and then goes on to write something with this conceited perspective. It's just exhausting.

I watched Death Note's second part about 10 years after its first part, and I can responsibly say that while it's flawed for sure, it's still far more engaging than most of the series we usually get in this industry. Death Note vs Platinum End is a basic example of two stories made by the same author where everything went right and wrong respectively. Death Note is also sexist, arrogant, pretentious etc, but somehow it's still entertaining and it works, because it had a clear concept at its core that it believed in and because all the people working on it brought about the best of their abilities. On the other hand, Platinum End sometimes made me think that there was no editor working on it, no screening, no structure, no clear concept, and of course the anime collapsed pretty quickly because what director and animator could possibly support this mess? It's unbelievable it even got a full adaptation to begin with.

Then I remembered SAO made a career out of itself and I say well, you know, there are way worse things out there that thrive, why not give Platinum End a chance, you never know.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

That doesn't explain Bakuman and, as much as this series it's terribad, it still got full serialization and an anime, purely from objectives point of view the series it's a success.

"But it was successful because of Ohba's fanbase!"

Naruto was bigger than those 2 combined and Samurai 8 failed, there is something there that people like, even if it's just so terrible it's fun to read.

I, for one, read all of Nisekoi and Bleach's final arc out of morbid curiosity for it's terrible writing and making fun of it with my friends each week was hilarious.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

as much as this series it's terribad, it still got full serialization and an anime, purely from objectives point of view the series it's a success.

Eh, it was succesful for the first few volumes, but by volume 10 its sales had tanked to roughly a quarter of its peak, and only declined after that. I think it's fair to say Ohba and Obata's name got the series a boost just by getting eyes on it, but by the time it was ending it had definitely failed on its own merits.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:20 pm Reply with quote
It's also worth noting that Platinum End didn't run on Weekly Jump (which Death Note and Bakuman both did), it was a monthly serialization in one of its sister magazines (Jump SQ), which is way less cutthroat when it comes to success/failure margins. If you look at SQ's current lineup, its newest series began in February 2021, which means no series has been canned in the last year or so. On the opposite aisle, in Weekly Jump, i believe a new batch of serializations just started a couple weeks ago (meaning a batch of endings/cancellations), and if these new series don't reach at least some amount of popularity within the next four-or-so months they'll be getting the axe too.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

as much as this series it's terribad, it still got full serialization and an anime, purely from objectives point of view the series it's a success.

Eh, it was succesful for the first few volumes, but by volume 10 its sales had tanked to roughly a quarter of its peak, and only declined after that. I think it's fair to say Ohba and Obata's name got the series a boost just by getting eyes on it, but by the time it was ending it had definitely failed on its own merits.

It ran from start to finish and didn't get the ax, I count that as a success, and I am glad, I really like the reviews of terrible stuff, I watch a lot of terrible movies reviews in YouTube as I work.

Can't wait for Bleach's final arc anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

It ran from start to finish and didn't get the ax, I count that as a success, and I am glad, I really like the reviews of terrible stuff, I watch a lot of terrible movies reviews in YouTube as I work.

Please see my reply above, it's way harder to get axed on Jump SQ than regular Weekly Jump
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Please see my reply above, it's way harder to get axed on Jump SQ than regular Weekly Jump

I saw it and had no relation with what I said so I just ignored it.

Maybe you can explain to me why it's relevant because the only thing I can think is that you are arguing that if Samurai 8 was in SQ it would not been axed?

Sorry, I don't like dealing with hypotheticals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8