• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Far-Right Republican Representative Paul Gosar Posts Anti-Immigrant Parody of Attack on Ti

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Odd choice on Gosar The Gosarian's part, considering that no anime demonstrates the failure of big beautiful walls quite like Attack on Titan.

You expect critical thinking from the folks who think Springsteen's Born in the USA is a patriotic pro-America song and not a blistering condemnation of how the government handled war vets in the seventies and eighties?
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gosar wrote: "I do not espouse violence or harm towards any Member of Congress or Mr. Biden." The statement goes on to say that the video is meant as a symbolic representation of conflict between Gosar and President Biden and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez concerning the immigration policy included in the recently passed bipartisan infrastructure bill.

I just wonder... did he think it was somehow funny/eloquent/clever/inspiring or important to share that video? A random user on the internet making a meme is one thing, but what did he want so say with that video anyway?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
The Constitution allows for Congressmen to be removed through expulsion via reaching a two-thirds vote within their respective chambers...I don't know what you intended to accomplish by obfuscating things (rhetorically asking others what they want to be done when the process is already in place, etc.).

Not obfuscating anything, seemed to me that those calling for Gosar's removal seem to think there is not a way for him to face consequences other than passing a law or having him forcibly removed (again by whom?) and I wanted to head off thinking that a tribunal or something would be needed when impeachment is an orderly method already available within our governmental system. I wasn't aware there was another means, so thanks for bringing that up. A secondary point was that the people have an inalienable right to project their will on the government by electing representatives and if said representative is faithfully representing them, short of breaking established laws another group shouldn't have the right to decide if he can be allowed to do so which is what seemed to be implied by some commentators.

@Tempest- I think you may be operating from a false premise that I don't want Gosar to face consequences when I was just mentioning impeachment is an option. I did want to assert that elected officials here are accountable first and foremost in equal measure to the law and their constituents and that there should not be an extra-governmental person or group as has been suggested in the past as specifically proposed for "governing the police". I think most people realize that censure would have little practical effect and so I wasn't going to address that.
RafaelIAm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:08 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
You expect critical thinking from the folks who think Springsteen's Born in the USA is a patriotic pro-America song and not a blistering condemnation of how the government handled war vets in the seventies and eighties?

Is it not patriotic to be anti-war and pro-working class veteran? Or is being a pro-war imperialist the only way to support American democracy?
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Not obfuscating anything, seemed to me that those calling for Gosar's removal seem to think there is not a way for him to face consequences other than passing a law or having him forcibly removed (again by whom?) and I wanted to head off thinking that a tribunal or something would be needed when impeachment is an orderly method already available within our governmental system. I wasn't aware there was another means, so thanks for bringing that up. A secondary point was that the people have an inalienable right to project their will on the government by electing representatives and if said representative is faithfully representing them, short of breaking established laws another group shouldn't have the right to decide if he can be allowed to do so which is what seemed to be implied by some commentators.

That's fair enough. I will say that, for your second point, that I don't think people in this thread (in general; I can't read their minds, nor can I recall all posts in the thread) were thinking on the terms of legally disallowing Gosar to hold such positions because of the bigotry he has, but rather the violence and threat that could be credibly interpreted within the video (still absurd that people are defending it when creating/sharing a video of you killing a colleague would get you immediately terminated in nearly any other jobs).

RafaelIAm wrote:
Desslok wrote:

Is it not patriotic to be anti-war and pro-working class veteran? Or is being a pro-war imperialist the only way to support American democracy?

Feels obtuse to interpret it that way considering Desslok was clearly taking aim at those who brandish the concept of "patriotism" in order to dismiss any and all criticism about how a country can improve itself.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Odd choice on Gosar The Gosarian's part, considering that no anime demonstrates the failure of big beautiful walls quite like Attack on Titan.

That's usually how it works. Gosar, like most morons of the racist alt-right, see violence and they love it. They don't particularly care about context, it hurts their smooth wrinkle free brains.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11