• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Thoughts about Pretty Cure and Similar Shoujo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:58 pm Reply with quote
So I started my Pretty Cure journey with Healin' Good Pretty Cure and fell absolutely in love! It quickly earned a spot on my favorite anime list, and then I started the still-airing Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure, which has been such a wonderful experience. I also watched Kira Kira Pretty Cure A La Mode, twice in a row, in fact, and that one is my favorite of the PreCures I've seen so far. I've seen the first season of Futari wa Pretty Cure now too, and it's excellent.

I think that Pretty Cure and shows similar to it, such as Cardcaptor Sakura and the Pretty Series (which includes Pretty Rhythm, PriPara, Kiratto Pri-Chan and the currently airing Waccha PriMagi!) are very important. They are, at their core, about enjoying life and pursuing your dreams, and about the bonds of love between people and how important and healing they can be. In the case of Pretty Cure, the protagonists are also saving the world, which is awesome. I think of someone like a Disney princess who is also a magical hero. One thing I loved about Kira Kira PreCure is that the whole key to saving the world is love and emotions, and that is used to even spoiler[save the villains].

Another show that I feel has very similar themes is Natsume's Book of Friends. Add a few sparkles and a transformation sequence and Natsume would be considered a magical girl show.

These anime show girls (and boys and non-binary folks) that hope is always there, and there is always someone who will love you unconditionally, and that compassion is strength, and that you and your dreams are worth it. That's why I feel they need to be talked up more, and we need all the Pretty Cure and Pretty Series shows officially licensed now partly because of that!

What are you thoughts? Any faves among the shows I mentioned, or similar ones?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1