• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals Cast Members

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Mackenyu is playing Pegasus Seiya in an upcoming Saint Seiya movie as well.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
If figure Lupin the Third would be the easiest target. Hell, it's already been done before in Japan. Just use the same playbook.

I mean, BL and Lupin are great choices, but the easiest one and least likely to piss people off is Baccano. 1930s supernatural mafia, never been properly adapted(the anime loosely adapted the first 4 volumes...out of currently 23), and has a cast of Anericans, making white washing extremely difficult[/quote]
"91 Days" is another one that deserves a live-action Hollywood version. It is a mob story in a fictional Illinois town in 1928. Thus, the characters are White though non-White Italians do exist.

An example of a when a live-action Hollywood version of an anime or manga that got it right was that Alita film. You know, the final film for the Fox movie empire as we knew them and before Team Disney bought them out.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
You know when I pictured what Sanji would look like in real life a Slim Shady look alike wasn't what I had in mind. And I thought Nami was suppose to be Japanese? Casting choices aside like other people here have already said of all the manga properties they could have adapted why would they chose something as fantastical and potentially expensive as One Piece?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
You know when I pictured what Sanji would look like in real life a Slim Shady look alike wasn't what I had in mind.

Why does everyone assume that they will look like their current head shots in the actual series? o.O

Anyway, I'm not an avid fan of One Piece, having lost track of it around the end of the Thriller Bark arc, so I'm not exactly invested in whether it succeeds or not. But unless they skip a ton of content, I don't really expect it to last until Thriller Bark anyway. Good on 'em if it does.

Yeah, I'm with those who wonder why Black Lagoon and 91 Days have been overlooked, but while I'd also love to see a Baccano! adaptation, I think it's so convoluted they'd make a complete hash of it.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
You know when I pictured what Sanji would look like in real life a Slim Shady look alike wasn't what I had in mind. And I thought Nami was suppose to be Japanese? Casting choices aside like other people here have already said of all the manga properties they could have adapted why would they chose something as fantastical and potentially expensive as One Piece?

Was she Japanese?? Did the show explicitly say she was at any point? Or are u just assuming by her name?
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Was she Japanese?? Did the show explicitly say she was at any point? Or are u just assuming by her name?

Obviously the show wouldn't say it, considering it takes place in a world where a "Japan" doesn't exist (though Wano does). The closest thing we have are the Straw Hats' representative nationalities, and in those Nami is Swedish (Zoro is the Japanese one).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
Really don't know what to think. Looking at the actors, it is hard to picture them as One Piece characters. But hey, if the writing and directing succeeds, I'd be willing to accept this adaptation.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:57 am Reply with quote
Stopped watching One Piece a long time ago so I don’t have any particularly strong feelings for this, but….I will say this…what’s up with the guy they cast as Sanji? I think the others look ok-ish…but “Sanji” does not even remotely emulate animated/drawn Sanji.

Speaking of anime that may be better to adapt, why not go for more “realistic” ones, or ones that are more “western” instead of trying to “westernize” very obvious Japanese properties?

So “realistic” ones:
91 Days
Gungrave (yes it’s old)
No. 6
Banana Fish
Heck, even Yuri on Ice might work.

“Western”
Trinity blood
FMA
AoT
Code Geass
Possibly Tiger & Bunny

They wouldn’t have to really change locations or names to adapt any of those.m
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Stopped watching One Piece a long time ago so I don’t have any particularly strong feelings for this, but….I will say this…what’s up with the guy they cast as Sanji? I think the others look ok-ish…but “Sanji” does not even remotely emulate animated/drawn Sanji.

Speaking of anime that may be better to adapt, why not go for more “realistic” ones, or ones that are more “western” instead of trying to “westernize” very obvious Japanese properties?

So “realistic” ones:
91 Days
Gungrave (yes it’s old)
No. 6
Banana Fish
Heck, even Yuri on Ice might work.

“Western”
Trinity blood
FMA
AoT
Code Geass
Possibly Tiger & Bunny

They wouldn’t have to really change locations or names to adapt any of those.m

Ok...how the heck is Code Geass western? Yes, Britannia is a thing, but the majority of the cast is half Japanese. Also, yes, the setting may seem western, but Geass is extremely Japanese. the same goes for AOT. Also, good luck getting a BL action drama on American TV or Film.
ICO44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:36 am Reply with quote
Netflix.....
[/img]
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:55 am Reply with quote
What happened to the SAO live-action? That I think could have been some good trashy fun if they gave it the CW treatment. This...I don't see many people enjoying the outcome.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
We just got the cast revealed and most of you are already expecting the worst? Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I dont know why they keep going after these difficult to adapt properties. Black Lagoon is RIGHT there begging for a holywood adaptation. I think hollywood could succesfully adapt anime and manga, they just need to choose things thats in their wheelhouse

Exactly. Why adapt One Piece, the most outlandish and cartoony world in manga/anime, when they could go for something like Gunsmith Cats or Baccano?

Not that I'd have all that much faith in them even doing those justice, but at least it would be within them realm of possibility! Michiko & Hatchin, Lupin III, 91 Days, even Legend of the Galactic Heroes is more realistic a goal. But One Piece? Did we learn nothing from Dragon Ball: Evolution?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
I mean, we already have Netflix doing a live action remake of a "Western" influenced anime with Cowboy Bebop and they're not doing anything really wrong with it so far but people are still nitpicking and complaining about how it's the greatest insult to anime ever or something. Which makes me think people don't really know what they want from live action anime remakes.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
We just got the cast revealed and most of you are already expecting the worst? Rolling Eyes

Yes, because the casting does look mediocre, it's a Netflix adaptation, and most of those are pretty well-known for their low quality Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7