• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals Cast Members

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZephyrVayu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Still apprehensive about this adaptation, as most understandably are, but this feels like we made it over the first hurdle. I'm happy (or at least satisfied) with each of these castings. No race bending on any character, and they're even keeping Nami's ginger hair (that's the one thing I was almost sure would go). Nami and Usopp are the best picks, Luffy is okay. Zoro looks a little baby-faced and Sanji, as everyone has said, looks like Eminem and will need to grow his hair out. Still, this is all being said without seeing the actors in costume or in character, so there's still a good chance all five could be perfect fits. I'm just relieved none of them were horribly miscast or changed dramatically.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:

An adaption being popular or successful doesn't make it good. Black Panther may have found success with critics and box office results but it's not very indicative of the classic comic books it's based on and many of the characters are either recent additions or completely different than their comic counterparts. Do people remember how badly recieved The Promised Neverland season 2 was and called it a bad adaption? That was still more accurate to the manga than the Marvel movies are to their respective comics.
There was a whole host of behind the scenes issues with TPN s2 that lead to it being the mess that it was beyond just blaming it on not being faithful to the manga. You're missing my point here that you're equating an adaptation being faithful to the source material as being "good" and any deviance from it means it's "terrible." You cite TPN s2 but we also have a lot of loose adaptations that are well regarded for taking creative risks with the source material like FMA '03, the 90s Sailor Moon anime, or Madhouse's adaptation of Cardcaptor Sakura. On the flip side, we have plenty of anime adaptations that adapt the source material literally but are not very good or didn't live up to fandom hype. While I personally still enjoyed it myself, just recently we had the Shaman King reboot which has been criticized by fans and reviewers for rushing through the manga and lackluster production values in spite of promising to be a more faithful adaptation. And again I liked it well enough but you had all the issues fans and critics had with the earlier seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal. But you're just reinforcing my earlier points that people don't know what they want from these live action anime remakes because now I've seen a lot of fans criticizing the live action Cowboy Bebop for being too faithful to the anime. And again, we literally only know the cast info and nothing else about the live action One Piece to judge how faithful it's going to be. It should be noted though the live action One Piece is being produced by the same studio making the live action Cowboy Bebop.

Quote:
Why would anyone watch this live-action One Piece over Toei's animated adaption of the manga? The answer is something like this is aimed at people who don't read manga or watch anime, same way comic movies are not aimed at fans of the comics.
Yet I see a lot of One Piece fans on Twitter who were initially skeptical who are now cautiously optimistic about the live action One Piece after these cast announcements. And Alita had a lot of anime and manga fans who went to go see it and supported it and it was made by someone with a deep love of the source material. Also it should be noted Oda is involved in the live action One Piece in a consulting role. But you could apply this to the anime too and ask why One Piece fans would watch the anime over reading the manga with the pacing and production quality issues the anime has had over the years.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as the "why the hell are they making a live action adaptation of One Piece of all things?" people.

Even popularity doesn't really explain it, as One Piece never really caught on in the west in the same way it did in Japan. There are anime that are more mainstream than One Piece that I would argue are much more American live action friendly.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I'm in the same boat as the "why the hell are they making a live action adaptation of One Piece of all things?" people.

Even popularity doesn't really explain it, as One Piece never really caught on in the west in the same way it did in Japan. There are anime that are more mainstream than One Piece that I would argue are much more American live action friendly.

Netflix is available worldwide.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

I would disagree about mainstream. A lot of the popular stuff we talk about on ANN is not mainstream popular.

One Piece has been on Cartoon Network, and is popular in Japan. It is a long running hit. A lot of the alternate titles mentioned in this topic do not compare to One Piece. Though I have watched stretches of One Piece on Cartoon Network, it is not one of my favorite shows and I never wished for a live action version of it, but I will not deny its popularity. That is probably one of the reasons (or only reason) it was picked.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:37 am Reply with quote
Anime fans say that an adaptation doesn't have to be faithful to be good, but how many examples are there like that which you are actually okay with? And No, small tweaks don't count.
By anime standards the How to train your dragon movie adaptations are probably the worse adaptations put to screen. They do all the classic bad adaptation traits like aging up the characters, creating new characters, changing designs, changing personalities, changing relationship dynamics, changing setting, etc. But fans of the books still like the movies and tv shows.
It's just wierd to me to say "what's the point of making this?" , then when it becomes apparent that there will be changes to the story, you go "No it should be exactly the same or as close as possible or it won't be good!" Anime is the main medium where this happens. With this kind of thinking we wouldn't have gotten games like the RE remake or the FF7 remake
Lastly, did anyone say or think: "What's the point of FMA: B when the manga is available and there is already a good adaptation?" The existence of one doesn't invalidate the existence of another. Even a bad adaptation can get newcomers interested in the source material.
juaifan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:26 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
By anime standards the How to train your dragon movie adaptations are probably the worse adaptations put to screen. They do all the classic bad adaptation traits like aging up the characters, creating new characters, changing designs, changing personalities, changing relationship dynamics, changing setting, etc. But fans of the books still like the movies and tv shows.

I have never read those books but I have seen a lot of terrible adaptions to books I enjoyed. The Lincoln Rhyme series got a terrible movie back in the 90s, and last year they got another terrible TV adaption. Maybe they have their own fans, but as a fan of those books they were nothing at all like them and had nothing I enjoyed from them.

I also have to admit it does gets pretty annoying when movie versions are the default version of the character in pop culture. Harry Potter will always be Daniel Radcliffe, Jon Snow will always be Kit Harington, Carol Danvers will always be Brie Larson, etc. Imagine if every piece of One Piece merchandise going forward uses these actors likeness instead of the original manga style. All the video games, figures, posters, clothing, etceter will now have these designs. That's always what happens in book and comic adaptions here. It's hard to find good merch for characters based on their actual original appearance since all the best and most expensive merch gets based on their live-action actor designs because they have the most exposure. So as far as people saying that 'the original always exists', it's kind of more complicated than that when the original gets replaced by a new verson.

I hate to say this because it sounds kind of mean but I think book and comic fans are just used to bad adaptions so they have lower standard compared to anime fans. If One Piece was a book then I'm sure people would be thrilled just to see it get any kind of adaption on television or in theaters no matter how flawed it is. If you're only real options are a live-action adaption or nothing at all then there's not much actual choice to be had there. There's a new Diary of a Whimpy Kid movie coming out that is animated and uses the original book's artstyle. I know the live-action movies got a decent reception back in the day but it'll be nice to see if the new movie is more accurate to the books beyond the art style and animation.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
If figure Lupin the Third would be the easiest target. Hell, it's already been done before in Japan. Just use the same playbook.

Lupin is based on an existing French character and they may not have the rights to sell and make money from. There's also a Lupin TV series currently being produced by Netflix. So it wouldn't make sense to invest in a live-action Lupin right now.

If they have Usopp then it's unlikely they'll start right at the beginning since his story doesn't come until later. Although it's hard to see them leaving out the scenes with Shanks where Luffy gets his hat and his powers. They haven't got Frankie, Chopper or Robin yet, although Frankie's outfit could be a bit tricky and Chopper would require a lot of CG.
We'll also have to see if Sanji smokes or has a sucker. That could say a lot about the show.

Zimmer wrote:
Until now I thought this was gonna be an all Japanese cast.

If it was a Japanese production then it would likely be, or at least most of them. Sanji, Zoro and Luffy would be.

Badcrazy wrote:
Considering none of these nationalities exist in the One piece universe it really doesn't matter what they are. Long as they seem distinct from each other to show they're from different parts of the world. In that regard the casting seems fine enough.

We do get Nico Robin using French, making her character clearly (European) French. Usapp is based on Pinocchio and/or Cyrano De Bergerac, making his character either French or Italian. It would be hard for Zoro to be anything but Japanese with those swords, but his name is based on a Mexican character. Frankie is a stereotypical American and Chopper could be considered Canadian (he's a reindeer from a cold country) or at least Nordic. Sanji is from the "Germa Kingdom" which suggests he's German. Brook is probably based upon Mr. Saturday and along with his afro, suggests he's Caribbean or at least the New Orleans area of the southern US which is known for it's music. And "Monkey" D. Luffy is based on the Chinese Monkey King character, which suggests the character would be Chinese.

[Combined your four posts. Errinundra.]
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
We do get Nico Robin using French, making her character clearly (European) French. Usapp is based on Pinocchio and/or Cyrano De Bergerac, making his character either French or Italian. It would be hard for Zoro to be anything but Japanese with those swords, but his name is based on a Mexican character. Frankie is a stereotypical American and Chopper could be considered Canadian (he's a reindeer from a cold country) or at least Nordic. Sanji is from the "Germa Kingdom" which suggests he's German. Brook is probably based upon Mr. Saturday and along with his afro, suggests he's Caribbean or at least the New Orleans area of the southern US which is known for it's music. And "Monkey" D. Luffy is based on the Chinese Monkey King character, which suggests the character would be Chinese.

I'm not sure real world languages or reference are all that important. Germa Kingdom is obviously based on Germany, right down to their army having a 66 logo which is an obvious reference to SS Nazi imagery, but at the same time Sanji and his family all have Japanese names based on the numbers 0-4 and his attacks are a mix of English and French words. Most anime creators use words or imagery things because they think it sounds or looks cool without much thought to it. Watanabe used the name Spike Spiegel because he felt I sounded cool, despite it being canon that he's based on Japanese actor Yusaku Matsuda and is described in the canon as being "oriental". ​I do feel the One Piece characters are ultimately Japanese, though, not just from the way I perceive their appearance but just because I see no reason to assume otherwise. I can't help but notice this discussion never comes up when it comes to western productions. Nobody ever questions why they cast white actors for the characters in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones despite no real world countries existing in those works. Yet when it comes to anime there's always people that raise the thought that Japan wouldn't base their work on their own likeness for some reason.
SourOkapi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:17 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I dont know why they keep going after these difficult to adapt properties. Black Lagoon is RIGHT there begging for a holywood adaptation. I think hollywood could succesfully adapt anime and manga, they just need to choose things thats in their wheelhouse

YASSSSSSS
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
I’m hearing a lot of people going “Why One Piece? Why Yu Yu Hakusho? Why not (insert less popular but assuredly easier to film manga)?”

And there’s a few reasons. The big one being that it is probably much easier to just get an original concept than license a cult hit manga. But stuff like OP and Yu Yu with international fame and exposure has a far greater reward if they pull it off, even if the risk is greater. At the end of the day, reaching for that big reward and getting maximum eyeballs is preferable to a mere cult hit for studios trying to create the next cultural juggernaut.

“We film live-action One Piece not because it is easy, but because it will make us way more money if we pull it off than Black Lagoon would!”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7