• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Franchise Halts Sales of Eldian Armbands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
dreams-c wrote:
its just an armpiece from a fictional story with fictional countries and fictional characters....

Wear it in public, especially in Europe, then we'll see how successful your argument will be.

IKR. Even before opening the comments, I knew someone would bring up the "fictional" argument. But yeah, at this point I don't expect people to have what I used to think as common sense or common understanding of history anymore Rolling Eyes
babajones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Meanwhile Bandai sells everything from patches to shirts with the Zeon flag that literally have "Sieg Zeon!" written on them. They also currently have pre-orders up for Zeon Iron Cross pins. Can literally find it all over Amazon Japan.

Guess Kodansha got cold feet.

I will defend that one. Yes, Zeon originally was heavily based off of Nazi Germany, but the message of Gundam is that neither side is good. Also, the Zeon symbol is not an Iron Cross, merely a symbol. This one the other hand is DIRECTLY recreating an atrocity. This is not ok.

Why it is not ok ?? How do you decide if something is ok or not ok anyway ??

Nobody will be harmed if you have fictional story showing people being oppressed and have to wear Armband... It is fictional story that does not have any actual impact on anyone.

[Removed insult. Errinundra.]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
"Hey here's a great idea, let's take this way too on-the-nose analogy for Jewish ghettos in Nazi Germany and sell merch based on it! That isn't the most tone-deaf thing anyone's ever pulled, no sir!"

This
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
babajones wrote:
This is stupid...Armbands does not harm anyone..... The anime already have characters with Armbands but somehow if people cosplay these character with Armbands then it symbol of oppression ?? Really ??

Context matters. When the armbands are specifically associated with a persecuted group (in the sense that the persecuted group is forced to wear them) then yes, they're a blatant symbol of oppression.

EDIT: To be clear, using them in the story isn't necessarily a problem, since they're used (however crudely) to make a story point. However, making money off of selling something like that is ugly.

Last edited by Key on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
babajones wrote:
RockSplash wrote:
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Meanwhile Bandai sells everything from patches to shirts with the Zeon flag that literally have "Sieg Zeon!" written on them. They also currently have pre-orders up for Zeon Iron Cross pins. Can literally find it all over Amazon Japan.

I will defend that one. Yes, Zeon originally was heavily based off of Nazi Germany, but the message of Gundam is that neither side is good. Also, the Zeon symbol is not an Iron Cross, merely a symbol. This one the other hand is DIRECTLY recreating an atrocity. This is not ok.

Nobody will be harmed if you have fictional story showing people being oppressed and have to wear Armband... It is fictional story that does not have any actual impact on anyone

It is heavily based on real events. The Zeon stuff is not using actual Nazi armbands. The zeon stuff is also much older, and have been doing this since the 80s. In comparison, AOT is doing this in a much more politically senstive climate. It is very tone deaf, and it is basically making money off the idea of recreating a tragedy. Compared to the Zeon flag based off of a nazi flag, that doesn't directly recreate a marginalized population. It just isn't ethical.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
Why get rid of it? It'll go great with my Narutaru chemistry set and my talking Nina Tucker Chimera plushie. /s
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why get rid of it? It'll go great with my Narutaru chemistry set and my talking Nina Tucker Chimera plushie. /s

I am sure that Bokurano got a model figure. Hell, they crossed over with SRW despite the themes of Giant robots not being cool.
Ardis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
babajones wrote:

Nobody will be harmed if you have fictional story showing people being oppressed and have to wear Armband... It is fictional story that does not have any actual impact on anyone.

Spoken like a true American lmao.
The point is not about the story having this kind of symbolism, it's about the fact that with this merch, they were trying to profit off a direct reference to a symbol of oppression, selling it as some kind of "quirky fashion accessory".
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
babajones wrote:

Nobody will be harmed if you have fictional story showing people being oppressed and have to wear Armband... It is fictional story that does not have any actual impact on anyone....

If fiction didn't have an impact on anyone, it wouldn't be a thing in the first place. That's the entire point of fiction, that it can affect and change reality.

Attack on Titan's depiction of fascist imagery was already pretty tasteless at times. This is just gross.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:08 pm Reply with quote
babajones wrote:
This is stupid...Armbands does not harm anyone..... The anime already have characters with Armbands but somehow if people cosplay these character with Armbands then it symbol of oppression ?? Really ??

I remember Cruchyroll censoring Manji symbol in tokyo revenger because it look close to nazi symbol even though a lot of people in the video comments were complaining about censorship and not bothered by the symbol

It was the Japanese licensors, not Crunchyroll. No one was crying over this, the company did it so they wouldn't get backlash (since it isn't a good look).
So glad, One Piece and Naruto were able to dodge this. Fun fact, Whitebeard's Pirtare flag had a Manji until Oda and his team realize it was problematic and change it.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Oh dear Lord, who thought this was a good idea? "gee whiz, you know what the kids would love? An in universe symbol of oppression of which is never framed in even a slightly positive or cool light by anyone in the story!" and that's not even getting into the obvious holocaust references.

I would've loved to be at the business meeting when they decided to sell this lol. I like how Japan likes to go out there with it's products but then things like this slip through.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it got pulled, I don't follow AoT but looking at the article just sent off not red flags, but curtains big bulky curtains. It is going to be difficult to explain to someone what that Armband means and the moment you do explain it things will just get uncomfortable for the listener.

That Armband is just going to cause problems, plus AoT is already getting heat right now, it doesn't need anymore bad press.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
babajones wrote:
RockSplash wrote:
FunkyDude88 wrote:

It's a little something called class.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh bad move there
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Fun fact, Whitebeard's Pirtare flag had a Manji until Oda and his team realize it was problematic and change it.

Correction: Oda did not want to change it but was forced to by Shueisha. Oda would later go on to reference actual Nazi imagery when creating the Germa Kingdom and their not-so-subble ᛋᛋ flag so it's unlikely he had any reservations about that stuff. He was basically censored by higher ups.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5