• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
1986 Saint Seiya Anime Leaves Netflix in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I just never understood why the series never hit it off here in the U.S. Like this goes as far back as to like when Cartoon Network aired the Knights Of The Zodiac version. Maybe sooner.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Maybe it will now appear in another anime streaming service Wink

Please please please let it be on Retrocrush; they have the four original movies!! Very Happy

Maybe they could dub those movies, then license and dub the Hades OVAs and the fifth film maybe.

MoonPhase1 wrote:
I just never understood why the series never hit it off here in the U.S. Like this goes as far back as to like when Cartoon Network aired the Knights Of The Zodiac version. Maybe sooner.

Sadly it was released like seventeen years too late (compared to how in Europe and Latin America it was only a few years after it first aired in Japan), by the time it finally aired, shows that were inspired by Saint Seiya had already aired.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Maybe it will now appear in another anime streaming service Wink

Sadly it was released like seventeen years too late (compared to how in Europe and South America it was only a few years after it first aired in Japan), by the time it finally aired, shows that were inspired by Saint Seiya had already aired.

Maybe you are trying to say Latin America :p

But yeah, you are right, there is a limit of how old a show can stay fresh, anime or otherwise. Nowadays it is becoming increasingly hard to sell to younger audiences anything that is not 1080p in 16:9 aspect ration. Just like it was back in the day to sell anything filmed in black and white.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
This is always why I prefer owning the DVDs. Media never stays on forever on streaming services.

By that logic you shouldn’t like owning physical media since rights can expire or the company making them can go out of business causing those DVDs to fall out of print. So if you lose or damage those DVD when that happens you’re screwed.

Once you buy them though they're still far more permanent than streaming services, especially if you take care of them. Plus even if something is OOP you can still get second hand for a higher price (vs a streaming service where once it's gone it's gone for good)
omegafinal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:38 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Funny enough, Dan Larson's Toy Galaxy just did a video on the subject. On top of what Sedna with it being too late with us here being exposed to shows that were inspired by it. It seems like DVDs might also be a factor. The uncut DVDs baring the Saint Seiya name. Then another release with the US broadcast version with the "Knights of the Zodiac" name. Confusion!
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Kind of a problem when the show was never released on BD after Netflix got it and ADV only released the first 60 episodes with the original release.

Exactly. That's probably the best reason to be so incensed about this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3