• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Night Beyond the Tricorner Window GN 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daisicles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of all of the volumes of Tomoko Yamashita's The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window, this is the first one that truly made me think of Mikado and Hiyakawa as a potential romantic pair.

This is very much how I felt about this volume and part of why I loved it so much. There's a lot of tension going on throughout the series, but every time I felt like something might finally resolve between Hiyakawa and Mikado, something new would pop up leaving me going noooope and hoping nothing would happen for a few more chapters. But with Mikado fully stepping up and owning the feelings he has for Hiyakawa, it finally feels right for them to begin to move towards a relationship.

I disagree a tiny bit on Mukae, though. It's not that he needs to learn to put other people first - he steps up and helps other people all the time - it's that he has to own the fact that actually he isn't as carefree and unattached as he wants to make himself out to be, even when it comes to Hiyakawa. He has no reason whatsoever to help out with any of the cult stuff, except that he's grown attached to people and he doesn't really want to give them up, and so he has to step in. I love that about Mukae, really. He's so quick to talk about leaving Mikado behind and yet so slow at actually doing it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
daisicles wrote:

I disagree a tiny bit on Mukae, though. It's not that he needs to learn to put other people first - he steps up and helps other people all the time - it's that he has to own the fact that actually he isn't as carefree and unattached as he wants to make himself out to be, even when it comes to Hiyakawa. He has no reason whatsoever to help out with any of the cult stuff, except that he's grown attached to people and he doesn't really want to give them up, and so he has to step in. I love that about Mukae, really. He's so quick to talk about leaving Mikado behind and yet so slow at actually doing it.

I disagreed with myself upon re-reading the review, actually! I think you're spot on, and I'm not entirely sure where my brain was for that paragraph. Mukae has grown on me the most of any character for the very reasons you say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1