• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: House of Representatives Censures Rep. Paul Gosar For "Violent" Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I am an american, but not an USA citizen, but there is a simple reason why rich economies want immigrants.

U.S. birth rates decline for 6th year in a row

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2014/12/us-birth-rates-decline-6th-year-row/

Do I really need to repeat Bill Clinton's famous campaign slogan?

Snomaster1 wrote:
Someone said that Gosar's grandparents were immigrants themselves. Here's the thing. They came here legally. They didn't sneak across the border in the dead of night.

Who says they didn't? It befuddles the mind that a nation of immigrants (nope, unless you have native american roots at best you can track your ancestry on the USA four centuries) would forget. But not so long ago (the time of gosar grandparent's and everyone that went into the USA back then) there was no lengthy procedure to become a citizen, it seems like give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge has been all but forgotten.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Who says they didn't? It befuddles the mind that a nation of immigrants (nope, unless you have native american roots at best you can track your ancestry on the USA four centuries) would forget. But not so long ago (the time of gosar grandparent's and everyone that went into the USA back then) there was no lengthy procedure to become a citizen, it seems like give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge has been all but forgotten.

I get what you're trying to say but if we agree colonizers who invaded and took over the land from Native Americans were immigrants then that comparison would only serve to stoke the fears of people being afraid of illegal immigrants invading their country and taking their land just as the pilgrims did centuries ago. We know first-hand what happened to the native inhabitants in the end of that chapter of history.

But like you said it was a different time back then. There were no laws short of might makes right where your ownership of the land was based solely on the ability to defend it. Native American tribes fought and killed each other for land for centuries before anyone else showed up so I wouldn't particularly call the British, Spanish, or French colonizers immigrants since there was no nation or country at the time, just tons of different tribes fighting for and taking land from other tribes, and in the end it ended up being those groups winning out and dividing the land between Canada, the US, and Mexico as we know the continent today.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
There were no laws short of might makes right where your ownership of the land was based solely on the ability to defend it.

BonusStage wrote:
Native American tribes fought and killed each other for land for centuries before anyone else showed up so I wouldn't particularly call the British, Spanish, or French colonizers immigrants since there was no nation or country at the time,

Not only were there laws in North America before European contact, the English called the Iroquois "the Five Nations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
I get what you're trying to say but if we agree colonizers who invaded and took over the land from Native Americans were immigrants then that comparison would only serve to stoke the fears of people being afraid of illegal immigrants invading their country and taking their land just as the pilgrims did centuries ago.

You can't make water wet or fire hot, already a large segment of the USA population is afraid of that, nowadays it is more obvious, but the USA is a nation that was built on the dilemma of "We need more people, but we fear immigrants might take over". I would understand such fears if said immigrants really had a firearm on hand and were looking to murder for a patch of land (like some politician FUD campaign ranted), but the simple truth is that those that have the firearm and kill their next of kin are already citizens, immigrants (legal or otherwise) for the most part just want a job and try their best to avoid trouble out of fear of being deported or worse.

But as I said earlier, each country can define their laws, but if the USA really wants to stop immigration, instead of stupid walls and the like, just charge as criminals those that give a job to someone that does not have a social security number, as simple as that, anything less would be futile at best, a smoke screen at worst.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

But,as I said before,there are people who agree with what he says and among them are legal immigrants. Someone said that Gosar's grandparents were immigrants themselves. Here's the thing. They came here legally. They didn't sneak across the border in the dead of night. They went through legal channels to come here. In my opinion,his grandparents would probably share his opinion,as do most Americans. There are many immigrants who had to wait a long time to come here,perhaps years. How do you think they feel? Many of them would be upset and rightfully so. These people played by the rules to come here and for them,they feel undercut by those who didn't do what they did.

If I were a legal immigrant,I'd probably share many of the same frustrations that native-born Americans feel. People breaking in to this country against the law and making harder for both native-born Americans and legal immigrants to find jobs. Again,you might not like Rep. Gosar's video and you certainly have the right to do that. But,there are people who feel the way he does,and that includes those who came here legally.

So you're saying that it's cool to make this kind of violent propaganda that actively sells the "Attack (more likely killing based on who made this video) on the Immigrants" only because people from the other side from the political spectrum did something mildy similar, but not actively violent or threatening???

Because from what I'm reading, your main reasoning for this video to be allowed to exist and keep being shared in social media, is that beyond the violent content of the video, you think the video has a point on immigrants, be them legal or otherwise, as a matter of "justified" frustration.

The usual problem people in America have against immigrants, is that most of the time is against all immigrants, legal or illegal ones, and that talking about the matter of legal immigration is just used as a curtain to which white supremacists hide their rejection of the "Other" that comes to their coutry, even legally.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Despite the immigration talk, let's not forget, that's not what he got censured for. It's because the video was perceived as a threat on Biden's life. Like the aforementioned Kathy Griffin video, I find the video pathetic and sophomoric. I'm not sure I would censure someone over what is basically a meme, but even so, Paul Gosar doesn't deserve a seat in Congress. In fact, with his white supremacist ties, he doesn't deserve anything but a good Survey Corps sword to the neck (don't worry, that's not a threat; since he's human, he'll probably be a Shifter and therefore survive).

As for immigration though - it's not the first time Attack on Titan has been accused of far-right themes that I probably shouldn't get into. But with this logic, if the Titans are Mexicans and the island of Paradis is America... huh, the comparison fits if Gosar genuinely thinks Eren Yeager is a hero (hell, spoiler[he probably thinks Hitler was a hero]). It's common knowledge, though, that the fear of Republicans that illegal immigrants are going to take American jobs is just a fancy way of saying "I don't like people who aren't white". You know that's the only reason why Mexicans specifically cannot come, yet practically everyone in the States - even within the anime industry itself - is perfectly comfortable with workers and infrastructure being exchanged from one Eric Vale to another.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I initially thought this sounded like an extreme reaction for something so stupid, but it's important to think about how it would feel to see a video demonizing you, your friends. And immigrants in order to spread propaganda

Now I kinda understand the choice
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
But with this logic, if the Titans are Mexicans and the island of Paradis is America... huh, the comparison fits if Gosar genuinely thinks Eren Yeager is a hero

I mean, spoiler[the last chapter of the series is literally all the characters thanking Eren and calling him a hero so it's very direct on whether it considers Eren the hero or not ]

The video itself can be called crass or mean-spirited, but I wouldn't say it's a bad interpretation of the series or anything like some people are trying to say. No more than any other people using media for political or social issues where it merely boils down to "good guys of a show = my side, bad guys of a show = your side".
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Racist post removed along with responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing people seem to be overlooking: it is not illegal to seek asylum at the border. That's been the law since post WWII. In fact, asylum seekers must be in the U.S. or at a port of entry to apply for, or request the opportunity to apply for, asylum. They can't (or they couldn't - Trump's slew of anti-immigrant executive orders may have changed that, not sure) ask for a visa or any type of authorization in advance for the purpose of seeking asylum. Immigrants have 1 year after their arrival in the US to file for asylum.

Since most of the people trying to cross the border over the last few years are fleeing untenable conditions (who would make that journey with their children otherwise?), they are not doing so illegally. They are trying to follow procedures, but the government keeps changing the rules.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I am an american, but not an USA citizen, but there is a simple reason why rich economies want immigrants.U.S. birth rates decline for 6th year in a row...
Way to stretch there, do you have evidence that anyone before Biden said publicly (paraphrasing) "come on in, I'm taking down the wall "? The simple fact is that the US formed a system of government and people behaved in a way that people in countries where there was strife and oppression wanted to live here (still do) and I can't say I blame them. We never actually needed them, but they did enrich the country and that has been recognized and supported in previous immigration policies. When the number exceeds a fraction of a percent of the existing population, that is where people have been and are very concerned about the new people taking existing jobs, being a burden on the economy, etc. A very valid concern when the number exceeds 3 million to date from 2014 (I think).

mangamuscle wrote:
...It befuddles the mind that a nation of immigrants...would forget. But not so long ago...there was no lengthy procedure to become a citizen, it seems like give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge has been all but forgotten.
I don't think anyone is forgetting and as you mention, the current process for citizenship is far too lengthy and was not always the case. So let's change the process instead of engineering a situation that negates it. As Gina said, that is the bone of contention here...

BTW, it is legitimate for countries to exclude people from entering and that must be preserved lest criminals and those committed to violence against our people and government are allowed in. That is also the concern of those opposed to wholesale illegal immigration and very valid. Also, Gosar got what he had coming but is about as effective as a "strongly worded letter"...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3