• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The show was so good!
I found the anime SO boring, so it was nice to be able to watch it with some actual ENERGY!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Some of these replies are weird
I never understood why people think it's "woke" and that's what made the show bad.

This is the weirdest reply, of the 14 posts before it, only one could be said to have mentioned "woke" elements (they considered making Faye lesbian unnecessary). Otherwise no one seems to have even come close to mentioning anything like that.

Either the thread had a bunch of comment deleted/modified or someone just assumed that most replies would complain about the woke aspect and ignored the actual thread.

Nah I read all of what was posted so far
But this isn't the only time I've heard people complain about wokeness for this show. Most of it happens outside of the forum and I just really don't understand how that correlates with the show in general. Just reminded me of that.

Edit : wow, I just read the replies and that is just sad - - being upset over people who actually exist being cast for roles in the show. Being upset there were more women? What?

WTF is "woke pandering"?

I would think in the world of CB things like that wouldn't really matter anyway but okie dokie.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm kind of surprised so many people liked Cho as Spike. I thought Shakir killed it as Jet, but Cho was middling at best. He just never figured out how to relax and have fun, whether in or out of fights, and without that it's just not Spike.

I'm with you on Cho. He seems constantly uptight and on edge. I think everyone is throwing him a bone when they say his performance is great, since he obviously gave it his all for the role and suffered a life-changing injury on set. But to me he isn't Spike and he doesn't embody the character at all. He doesn't even come off as charming.

Shakir I think is too young to be convincing as Jet. I think he plays the role well enough given the awful dialogue, but he doesn't actually seem world-weary.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised in the slightest. We didn't even NEED this.

@everydaygamer
Pathetic "counterargument."

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Not surprised in the slightest. We didn't even NEED this.

We didn't NEED the Anime either.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I’m not going to touch the political buzzwords, but I want to ask an honest question.

Do any of the changes made improve the characters from what viewers saw in 2001? I would argue every change from top to bottom in personality, motivation, place in the narrative, etc, is for the worse.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:49 pm Reply with quote
The live-action Cowboy Bebop is an... interesting experiment. It's not particularly good, and it's certainly not the masterpiece the original anime is (the anime is peak fiction). But I couldn't help but continue watching. It's a fascinating piece of work.

For one, I think that, for the most part, they got Spike and Jet right. I wasn't always a fan of all their dialogue, but they're clearly believable as partners and friends who've got a lot of mileage on their relationship. I feel a sense of comraderie, even if there's also a sense of distance, too. Cho and Shakir have a lot of great chemistry.

Faye is a mixed bag. She grew on me, but she isn't the Faye we know and love from the anime. She's a little too quippy, a bit of a Whedonesque girlboss type who comes across a writer's desperate attempt to impress us with how fun and clever the character supposedly is. But after a while, she does start taking on more Faye-like qualities, even though she seems a little too self-aware.

I don't know how they were ever expecting to do Vicious justice in this series, but whatever they were trying wasn't working. He comes across as incredibly petulant and immature, prone to throwing tantrums. He's not the cold and calculating, impenetrable monster he is in the anime. He's a goofy weiner with an inferiority complex. His silly expressions are a gold mine of unintentional comedy. Your main villain should not be this ridiculous if you're going to go the dark route they try to with him.

There's a lack of dynamism to much of the action scenes, a kind of plainness to the presentation. The colors are often overly filtered and washed out. Some sets are rather good, but others are not so much and really seem overly budget-friendly. And even Yoko Kanno's music seems to be taking a backseat somehow, like they're ashamed of using it, or when they do, it's stuff we've already heard in better scenes in the anime. It seems like they're holding back. I expect better new compositions from the genius.

All that said, while I'm not quite finished watching all the episodes available, I've found that the past few I've watched are actually pretty decent, aside from a few flaws. There's a run of good episodes later on in the season that take interesting new approaches to old material. But with that said, because they still aren't superior takes, they come off as being unnecessary in the big picture. So I'm deeply ambivalent about the whole project.

The problem with live-action Bebop isn't the "wokeness". [Edit: removed snark. Errinundra.] Shinichiro Watanabe and the Japanese crew made the anime as progressive and diverse as possible for the kind of show it was and the Netflix show's approach is only a slight outgrowth of that. The problem with the live-action Bebop is just that it's simply not as groundbreaking and doesn't have the perfect blend the anime had. It's just so unnecessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I’m not going to touch the political buzzwords, but I want to ask an honest question.

Do any of the changes made improve the characters from what viewers saw in 2001? I would argue every change from top to bottom in personality, motivation, place in the narrative, etc, is for the worse.

I mean Vicious and Julia were basically just plot devices so yeah I'd say they were improved. I know anime fans will swear up and down its bad because they Aren't supposed to be real characters but damnit not everything needs to be subtext, it's okay to actually explain things within the story.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

To be honest, no. Personally, the only character who's as good as their anime counterpart is Jet. Mustafa Shakir knocked it out of the park, as he does with any project he's involved in. John Cho is good. He's not Spike, but he's a great actor on his own, I loved the chemistry between him and Shakir, and he did his best with what he was given. Everybody here knows about LA Faye's flaws, and not one character managed to be as good or a little better than their anime counterpart. Not her, not Gren, not Hakim, not Asimov, and specially not Vicious nor Julia.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
Nah I read all of what was posted so far
But this isn't the only time I've heard people complain about wokeness for this show. Most of it happens outside of the forum and I just really don't understand how that correlates with the show in general. Just reminded me of that.

Edit : wow, I just read the replies and that is just sad - - being upset over people who actually exist being cast for roles in the show. Being upset there were more women? What?

Yeah... no one here is upset that there were women in the show. People's complaints are that the women in the show don't have much of a characterization that makes sense inside the world of this show, and what they do have managed to butcher the previous characterizations of their anime counterparts, or that at least didn't leave much of their previous character development. It's said not only here, but in almost every comment thread in every website that talks about this show, so this is not about complaining against "woke" stuff. [Edit: removed snark. Errinundra.]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

The Alita live-action movie proved that Hollywood is capable of good anime/manga adaptations, but there has to be both an understanding of the source material and a willingness to put one's own distinctive mark on it. There aren't many James Camerons out there, unfortunately.

Considering how long it took for Alita to get made on top of how Cameron is the guy primarily known for Terminator 2, Titanic, & Avatar and not much else that’s not exactly a good thing.

animedude1982 wrote:
[

Do you guys know that people are STILL trolling actress Alice Eve for her VERY brief underwear bikini scene in Star Trek into Darkness? That movie is several years old and she keeps having to defend herself online for that even now!!

Scene would probably be less iffy if Kirk were not also on the shuttle as she was changing into uniform which was pretty much the weirdest thing about the scene.

lhernan02 wrote:
The worst being Julia and Vicious who were not characters, they were Spike's past/present/future,

Basically what they were in the anime?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
I cannot remember the last time I read a review of any work and found myself in such utter and complete agreement. I don’t disagree with a single comma on it.

I was actually thinking the same thing as I read the article. I think this is maybe 1 of 5 reviews on ANN during my decade+ time here where I agreed with everything that was written.

I knew that this was a sad affair when I spent more time hoping Ein and Shakir would pop up than focusing on the actual plot. I did not care for the plot changes. I was fine with toning down Faye's outfit in the name of not making her a sex symbol, but then the writers were ok with the dominatrix being sexualized? Or did it not count because she was an older woman? I dunno...there were so many changes, particularly Jet having a daughter and using that as the vehicle to bring Ein into the show, that really bothered me.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:
The Alita live-action movie proved that Hollywood is capable of good anime/manga adaptations, but there has to be both an understanding of the source material and a willingness to put one's own distinctive mark on it. There aren't many James Camerons out there, unfortunately.

Considering how long it took for Alita to get made on top of how Cameron is the guy primarily known for Terminator 2, Titanic, & Avatar and not much else that’s not exactly a good thing.

And he did Aliens, The Abyss, and the first Terminator movie, so he's got the credentials, and proved it with Alita. Also, he's a guy who makes his movie with 2-5 years in development and preproduction, so that's why his career doesn't look as prolific as his prestige.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Online platforms make no distinction between a hate watch and a regular watch. I don't doubt a lot of people tuned in to see how it turned out. That doesn't mean people liked it, though.

It's been trending up in the Top 10 the last few days though. If it remains there for some time, I don't think it matters to Netflix.

That's not a very high bar since Netflix viewership of anything in a given week is very low. Netflix is about having a lot to look through with instant access not the entire Netflix subscriber base watching a new thing.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
1/2 of the first episode was all it took to convince me enough is enough and abandon this flaming shit heap of a dumpster fire. On-and did I mention I hate this travesty of a show?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:

And he did Aliens, The Abyss, and the first Terminator movie, so he's got the credentials, and proved it with Alita.

Alita was directed by Robert Rodriguez. His only involvement was writing and producing.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8