• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
In the lead up to the release of the live action adaptation I watched the original anime for the first time a couple of months ago and as I usually do these days I watched it with the Japanese audio and English subs.

When some people complained about a black actor being cast as Jet - something that never bothered me - a common rebuttal was that his original voice actor was black. At first I was confused and looked up the Japanese seiyuu to see if he was black only to realise the people making this argument were referring to the English dub.

As a result this is the first time I've gotten the feeling that sub and dub viewers were watching different shows.

I wonder how many people comparing this Netflix adaptation to the original have only ever seen the English dubbed version?

It's been interesting reading reviews and comments that talk about how Spike and Jet sound a lot like their anime counterparts. I couldn't tell because I'd only seen the sub.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
On the topic of anime fans watching big non anime hits and vice versa, there’s more overlap than you think. Alice in Borderland getting a boost from Squid Game is already well known, a Seven Deadly Sins mobile game crossed over with the Stranger Things cast, and Cobra Kai is often promoted with their fighting anime content. Because Netflix is a big whole of stuff, there’s more cross pollination than you would think.

Which makes this mess all the more unfortunate.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I wonder how many people comparing this Netflix adaptation to the original have only ever seen the English dubbed version?

It's been interesting reading reviews and comments that talk about how Spike and Jet sound a lot like their anime counterparts. I couldn't tell because I'd only seen the sub.

Have definitely only seen the dub, personally, back when it was on Toonami. It is also one of the only shows I would passionately argue had a genuinely fantastic dub.

I don't really care whether the VA was black, or that Jet didn't 'look black' in the show (anime), though. It would have bothered me if they had cast, like, a skinny lanky fellow as Jet, but except where it's highly story-relevant or driven by pandering directorial choices that overlooked a better actor or something (and I don't think either of these is fair, here, given that Shakir's performance was by a significant margin the consistently best portrayal in the show), skin tone seems like a silly thing to complain about to me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
it would be a waste to flesh them out since they were serving their purpose (as I said, in the anime there was neither waste nor excess).

In the anime especially when it came to Vicious & Julia there was a degree of waste with how they utilized/wrote those characters and the excess being the somewhat constant allusions to Spike’s past and his relationship to those characters glimpsed in brief flashbacks, dialog, and the ending credits that the series never truly detailed or touched upon like they did with Jet & Faye’s past .

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having standards.

Depends on how high or practical those standards are.
vampiyan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
animedude1982 wrote:
When the rotten tomato scores came out I didn't pay much attention cause rotten tomato scores are not always accurate. Good lord this is one time where the critic reviews are right

It's clear all the changes they made were to pander specifically to critics, but the problem is they fumbled the ball in the process so the critics were against them as well as the fans. I'm sure they were expecting praise and admiration for all the changes they did, and indeed, up until the show aired you had a lot of people defending the casting choices, the outfit changes, and other bits of info being revealed. But then the show came out and we get a lot of racial jokes with Jet, Whedon-esque Faye, blink-and-you'll-miss-it Gren, and other stuff that rub the people this was meant to pander to in the wrong way. Just like when the show dropped and the show's Twitter promoted Ed as being non-binary and using they-them pronounds I'm sure they expected heaps of praise for the inclusive change, but instead the replies were all complaining about how they whitewashed the character by casting a white kid. Some additional tweaks would have won the critics over and have them singing the praises of this work, I feel. Even this review takes a few jabs at things like Faye's anime outfit so I imagine if Faye's personality was the same as the anime and only the outfit was changed it would be seen as an objective improvement over the anime, same with the other changes. Cut out the black jokes with Jet, make Gren more improtant to the plot, de-MCU Faye, and cast an Asian or Black kid for Ed, and I imagine a lot of the complaints go away and people would be praising this a lot more.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
animedude1982 wrote:
When the rotten tomato scores came out I didn't pay much attention cause rotten tomato scores are not always accurate. Good lord this is one time where the critic reviews are right

It's clear all the changes they made were to pander specifically to critics, but the problem is they fumbled the ball in the process so the critics were against them as well as the fans. I'm sure they were expecting praise and admiration for all the changes they did, and indeed, up until the show aired you had a lot of people defending the casting choices, the outfit changes, and other bits of info being revealed. But then the show came out and we get a lot of racial jokes with Jet, Whedon-esque Faye, blink-and-you'll-miss-it Gren, and other stuff that rub the people this was meant to pander to in the wrong way. Just like when the show dropped and the show's Twitter promoted Ed as being non-binary and using they-them pronounds I'm sure they expected heaps of praise for the inclusive change, but instead the replies were all complaining about how they whitewashed the character by casting a white kid. Some additional tweaks would have won the critics over and have them singing the praises of this work, I feel. Even this review takes a few jabs at things like Faye's anime outfit so I imagine if Faye's personality was the same as the anime and only the outfit was changed it would be seen as an objective improvement over the anime, same with the other changes. Cut out the black jokes with Jet, make Gren more improtant to the plot, de-MCU Faye, and cast an Asian or Black kid for Ed, and I imagine a lot of the complaints go away and people would be praising this a lot more.

I'm pretty sure they were expecting praises for the homages to the original while enjoying the show as it's own thing. Thankfully alot of people did that but alot of anime fans just wanted a recreation of the original and have been trashing the show ever since they found out it was not that.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched this yet, might watch it down the road. But did they make Faye Bi or outright Lesbian?

In the original anime her love interest in the past was male, and she is pretty much canonical in love with Spike. You could argue she was at least infatuated with Julia, so she could lean bi, but the stuff with Ed to me is more big sister little sister.

This almost feels like a repeat of Tracer from Overwatch. They gave her some pretty bland pose that was deemed too "sexy", and next thing I know she is now gay, clearly not 180 by the game writers trying apologize/earn credit with a certain crowd.

So Faye was viewed as some kind of negative stereo type despite a big part of her original character being a female fatal, and so they really tone down her appearance, and then have her show a canonical lesbian encounter. Sure okay.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I'm pretty sure they were expecting praises for the homages to the original while enjoying the show as it's own thing. Thankfully alot of people did that but alot of anime fans just wanted a recreation of the original and have been trashing the show ever since they found out it was not that.

You keep saying "alot", and "alot", and "alot" as if the people who liked this show were a majority, when in reality there are more people complaning about the show than people praising it. The general consensus is that it barely stand as its own product from a production and writing standpoint, and that is very bad compared to the original anime. As I said earlier, there are things to like about this dumpster fire, but there are, quoting you, "alot" more flaws which are so many that they just can't make up for the good stuff.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I haven't watched this yet, might watch it down the road. But did they make Faye Bi or outright Lesbian?

In the original anime her love interest in the past was male, and she is pretty much canonical in love with Spike. You could argue she was at least infatuated with Julia, so she could lean bi, but the stuff with Ed to me is more big sister little sister.

This almost feels like a repeat of Tracer from Overwatch. They gave her some pretty bland pose that was deemed too "sexy", and next thing I know she is now gay, clearly not 180 by the game writers trying apologize/earn credit with a certain crowd.

So Faye was viewed as some kind of negative stereo type despite a big part of her original character being a female fatal, and so they really tone down her appearance, and then have her show a canonical lesbian encounter. Sure okay.
spoiler[A woman pops up in the 6th episode I think and seduces her and they have a fling and then the woman disappears for the rest of the show. After the fling, she is seen a while later looking through a playboy magazine and a magazine with men on the cover. So while it can be speculated that she goes both ways, she has only done it with a female on screen.]

Last edited by anime-prime on Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm in the minority here who enjoyed the live action series, at least the first episode, because that's how far I've got (I don't have the luxury of binge watching shows). Granted, it has been years since I last saw the series or the movie. I saw some of the single episodes for the first time in the late nineties when I got them on VHS, recorded straight from japanese TV and I was lucky to see the movie in a small theatre in Osaka back in 2001. Since then I've seen the movie several times, and some of the TV series here and there. Netflix's adaption of the first episode reminded me how much fun the actual show is with all its pastiche and homage to different movie genres and character archetypes.

I think John Cho does a good job as Spike and has enough charm. Mustafa Shakir and Daniella Pineda are okay as well, even though I wished that Faye had been portrayed less than a snarky in your face b**ch and more like the nuanced femme-fatale character we all know and love from the anime. What put me off a bit though was Alex Hassell and Viscous. I'm sorry but an older, mysterious and handsome biseinen he ain't (I had to laugh when I saw his face for the first time .... and that wig!).

I enjoyed the first episode for what it is and wasn't expecting something a live action series can't pull off, namely the adventures of well-beloved characters who walk the fine line of being goofy, totally serious and badass cool at the same time. That mixture only works in animation, especially in anime.On the other hand, the visual style of the first episode was..... more than okay, I think. Bad lighting (and colours)? ... I totally disagree. I think the lighting and colours matched perfectly the mood the series is out to create, and Yohko Kanno's music is still great and on cue.

I'm patiently waiting my turn to watch the rest of the series to form a better opinion of the live action series as a whole.

Last edited by Swissman on Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

You keep saying "alot", and "alot", and "alot" as if the people who liked this show were a majority, when in reality there are more people complaning about the show than people praising it. The general consensus is that it barely stand as its own product from a production and writing standpoint, and that is very bad compared to the original anime. As I said earlier, there are things to like about this dumpster fire, but there are, quoting you, "alot" more flaws which are so many that they just can't make up for the good stuff.

Obviously I don't have exact numbers but based on review scores the number of people who liked it vs those that don't is firmly split down the middle. So I'd say 'alot' is as accurate as you could get on either side.

Either way it was always gonna be worse than the original because fans view the original as a flawless masterpiece. There is simply no beating that kind of bias.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
So many people have such brain rot with the "woke" talk. Its clear whenever that is unironically in someone's vocab when talking about the show it's clear your problem is with those elements themselves and not how they were executed. The anime was already pretty progressive for it's time so I don't know why this show is "woke" in particular other than the Netflix show being way more overt and you didn't notice the social commentary in the anime.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
So many people have such brain rot with the "woke" talk. Its clear whenever that is unironically in someone's vocab when talking about the show it's clear your problem is with those elements themselves and not how they were executed. The anime was already pretty progressive for it's time so I don't know why this show is "woke" in particular other than the Netflix show being way more overt and you didn't notice the social commentary in the anime.

I know it's a common defense tactic to say something was always progressive when people complain about that stuff in modern American media, but it's obviously not the case in cases where pretty much everything had to be changed in adaption. All the things people have listed so far were never in the original series so it's disingenuous to paint it as not being out of place or similar and not worth criticism. If anything, we're seeing a lot of hate being directed towards the original anime now with outlets saying it was problematic and Netflix is now righting the past wrongs of the anime and such so they apparently disagree with that notion as well.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

I know it's a common defense tactic to say something was always progressive when people complain about that stuff in modern American media, but it's obviously not the case in cases where pretty much everything had to be changed in adaption. All the things people have listed so far were never in the original series so it's disingenuous to paint it as not being out of place or similar and not worth criticism. If anything, we're seeing a lot of hate being directed towards the original anime now with outlets saying it was problematic and Netflix is now righting the past wrongs of the anime and such so they apparently disagree with that notion as well.

The criticism comes from the execution of those parts not the fact they exist at all. Also, what outlets are saying Bebop was problematic the whole time? Literally who? I know Gren's actor and the creators said that, but I haven't seen many outlets saying that. I see more people like the reviewer pointing out that the show's attempts to "fix" the anime ended up making more regressive.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

The criticism comes from the execution of those parts not the fact they exist at all. Also, what outlets are saying Bebop was problematic the whole time? Literally who? I know Gren's actor and the creators said that, but I haven't seen many outlets saying that. I see more people like the reviewer pointing out that the show's attempts to "fix" the anime ended up making more regressive.

I think its more an issue that some things from the anime would be problematic if you adapted them the same way in live action. Like having female characters whose only role the story is getting saved by the man and looking pretty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8