• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrploddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
And there we have it

Swordsmith Village arc TV anime 決定!!!

announced at end of 11 broadcast in Japan - just finished broadcast like 4 minutes ago.

edit
https://kimetsu.com/anime/yukakuhen/news/?id=59952
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Mm, Ep 11 was kind've a let-down for me. I thought the blood-bomb-thing from Ep 10 meant we'd get more fighting, and was puzzled how that was supposed to make any sense, but am basically always here for more Ufotable 2D/3D fighting, so was a little stoked. Imagine my disappointment to find the fight was genuinely over, and everyone was just very loudly sad. Crying or Very sad

Nezuko's piggy-back express was cute as heck, though, and her spoiler[fiery blood-spirit thing continues to be very pretty]. Tanjiro spoiler[collecting the demon blood with a needle-knife felt kind of morbid/creepy to me, or like some kind of JRPG subplot -- somehow, I'd completely forgotten becoming Dr. Demon Blood Bags was one of his major goals].

And the demon backstory was.. sort of a mixed bag, I felt? It's just, like -- I've seen this particular story-telling pattern so many times, that you've got to pull it off really well to move me (and I often wonder why more manga/anime don't invest in building up this investment early on, rather than waiting right until the moment of climax or post-climax to introduce it; I mean, I guess it would require handling a larger ensemble cast and more complex story, so maybe it's not hard to see why it is uncommon, but still!). And, here, it was instead deeply rote; despite that, I did spoiler[find it legitimately touching when Gyutaro told Ume to walk in the opposite direction -- "into the light". And, of course, she refused]. On the other hand, spoiler[I almost cracked up at the animation of his mom trying to "kill" him. I mean, there's a legitimate core idea here -- extreme urban poverty in a society with no safety net absolutely could turn parents against their own children (and in a story with different priorities I'd love to see that, like, juxtaposed with the intense reliance on large families that develops in poor rural farming families). But, then, the shot of her "trying to kill" him is literally just her slowly, with 0 acceleration, popping his back with a single arm, like the world's least effective massage, and I just... Laughing ].
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Man, what an episode. That's one demon that seems to have more screentime than Inosuke and Zenitsu. Still, the final scene of Uzui only lacked that woman who says "This is why I dislike video games. They always appeal to the male fantasy"
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
What strikes me over this story is that Tanjiro went through 2-3 powerups throughout this fight and I dont know why. I also feel like the last episode didn't need the extra 6 minutes. Maybe an extra 2 to fit in the ending sequence.
evan77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Lots of parallels and callbacks this episode. When Gyutaro was tormenting Tanjiro calling him dimwit, coward, worm and whatnot those were insults hurled at him in life. Him asking Tanjiro why were you even born were something Gyutaro's mom probably asked him when she was beating him.
Also, we see Daki's past and must have been some real ptsd stuff when Nezuko unleashed her burning blood art on her knowing what happened to her, also we see she was heavily dependent on Gyutaro as he probably raised her, and not to mention she was just a kid. Their backstory adds a ton of context, if one was to rewatch this amazing arc again, lots of things would make more sense.
Gyutaro's life story also dates back hundreds of years, so the new demon we saw in this episode may now be ranked higher than 6.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:01 pm Reply with quote
The stuff with Gyutaro and Daki fighting and then making up before going to Hell was nice. I really liked when Tanjiro told them that no one in the world will ever forgive them, so at least they should be there for each other in the end.

The obligatory tragic backstories got old quick back in season 1, but this one I didn't mind as much.

James Beckett wrote:
I won't blame anyone for feeling that this finale is still a little cheap in that regard. One of the only major takeaways of this fight was how insanely hard it is to kill Upper-Level demons, so while I don't begrudge the show for not killing anyone, it does feel a little easy to have the worst of the battle's consequences get literally hand-waved away.

While nobody (important) died, the demon corps has once again lost a Hashira. I count that as a huge loss. Still happy that Uzui decided to retire though.

James Beckett wrote:
As for Muzan, I am really surprised at how little he had to do this season, since the premiere really seemed to be setting up a larger role for the character in the story. He's just as enigmatic and two-dimensional as he was at the end of Season 1, and I don't think that's a very good sign.

I actually don't mind if Muzan isn't given more depth. Sometimes, a simple, delightfully evil villain is all story needs. But I do wish he was given more screentime.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
when tengen's "death sequence" is accompanied by comedic crying and outbursts you can pretty much tell he's not going to die, so that kind of took away from the emotional impact they were attempting with that scene
Telu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
So sad the season ended, looking forward the next one.

blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
when tengen's "death sequence" is accompanied by comedic crying and outbursts you can pretty much tell he's not going to die, so that kind of took away from the emotional impact they were attempting with that scene

It was established that Nezuko could heal demon poison since she just cured Inosuke, so this scene is intentionally meant to be comedic, not serious.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:08 am Reply with quote
Years from now, when Muzan's time is up, his backstory will probably take the lion's share of a season, and it had better be a humdinger of tragedy and pathos. Smile (I shouldn't have to say this, but no comments on this from the peanut gallery manga readers please, kthxbye)

I was scratching my head over Daki's human name being Ume, "named for the disease that killed our mother," wondering why anyone would name their kid after a disease (and I'd always thought "ume" (梅) meant "plum." From what I can gather, 梅毒 (plum poison) is syphilis, though it's pronounced "baidoku" rather than "umedoku."
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:54 am Reply with quote
Excellent episode, excellent end. Looking forward to Season 3. Having read the manga, I already know I'm going to enjoy the next arc immensely.

Best parts of this episode were in the flashback. The siblings have just that classic tragic backstory really showcasing that life doesn't play by the rules of "balance" - and the nonsense of coming to collect really rings hollow (but of course people cling to the concept because they want it to be true). Gyutaro at the end knew he would do it all again because he actually enjoyed spreading misery to all around him - like reveling in eternal revenge. It was his answer to life. But in that one single moment of reflection, he realizes that despite his best efforts he brought along the one source of good in his entire history of suffering...and ultimately destroyed it. Touching still, since Ume would not leave him even entering the fires of hell (but also fitting since technically she shared in his darkness).

It's actually impressive to me, these short little backstories. They're definitely short, but for all of DS being a simple story - the complexity of the how one becomes these high ranking demons is deceptively deep. And of course we get Doma showing up at the end there - a true psychopath taking advantage of everyone around them for their own amusement.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:19 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I also feel like the last episode didn't need the extra 6 minutes. Maybe an extra 2 to fit in the ending sequence.

I was pretty let down by this. When they announced it would be a 45 minute episode I thought they meant a hour long episode cut down to 45 minutes without commercials and full of a bunch of crazy stuff. I was not expecting it to be 32 minutes of actual run time full of crying (and nobody that mattered even died to make that worthwhile) and an extended end roll. They could have easily fit all of this within a normal run time and run the OP and ED over the episode like many anime do.

Really felt like a cheap publicity stunt for a series that doesn't need it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:29 am Reply with quote
The review is once again about how James had expectations of what could or should happen in his mind, but he show thought otherwise, so it's not good enough. With heavily undermining elements of course.

Nezuko only cured the demon poison, nothing else. What's this bullshit about how she heals innards? Call it anti-demon flames and you are good to go. But implying that she does more than just to remove demonic elements, tecniques is a straight up lie. Or perhaps she managed to grow back Uzui's arm and eye?

How on Earth is the sad flashback a "routine"? This is the typical disingenuous criticism I'm sick and tired of. The shrine demon existed, the swamp demon existed, Yahaba and Susamaru existed, majority of the spider demons existed, Enmu existed. Not to mention of the neutral backstories where the demon remembered something, but it's not particularly a sad life or anything.

Lastly, killing an Upper Moon is a big deal. How is it barely any progress? An elite soldier of Muzan died after 100+ years, but let's pretend that the series as a whole didn't really progress by eliminating a serious threat like Gyuutarou and Daki. Or even something else like Tanjirou switching to Dance of the Fire God is a big deal. Not to mention what his fever means for the future.

Emerje wrote:
Cryten wrote:
I also feel like the last episode didn't need the extra 6 minutes. Maybe an extra 2 to fit in the ending sequence.

I was pretty let down by this. When they announced it would be a 45 minute episode I thought they meant a hour long episode cut down to 45 minutes without commercials and full of a bunch of crazy stuff. I was not expecting it to be 32 minutes of actual run time full of crying (and nobody that mattered even died to make that worthwhile) and an extended end roll. They could have easily fit all of this within a normal run time and run the OP and ED over the episode like many anime do.

Really felt like a cheap publicity stunt for a series that doesn't need it.

Emerje

Blame those who published the news. I already said my concerns regarding that it won't be 45 minutes, only the timeslot was extended to 45 minutes. The source was cited, yet it had bait translation. Such common thing, it surprises me that they still keep saying stuff like 1 hour long episode, when it's the same story. 1 hour long timeslot with commercial breaks.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
I don't really get people complain about Nezuko magic fire that came out of nowhere. Like if you stop and think a little, you would realize that is exactly what his power have been doing this entire time. We saw that her fire is harmless to human (she literally set Tanjirou on fire and he was fine) while harmful to demon and demon related elements. Just because it fly over the head of most people doesn't make it an asspull. Also I feel like people meming too much about KnY sad backstory when in reality the ration between demon with sad backstory and the one that don't is 50/50. It just that the one that have sad backstory usually the one that stay on the viewers conscious the longest. Really people complain about how generic KnY is yet missed a lot of it more subtle elements.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I also thought the use of Nezuko’s fire was actually kind of clever? We’ve been consistently shown that it destroys other Upper Ranks’ Demon Arts, specifically during Tanjiro’s fight against the Spider Family, and while it’s terribly mishandled, I guess it’s implied that Nezuko’s tantrum in the boxcar of the Mugen Train burned Tanjiro’s imbued ticket (since my manga reader sister says the margins of the manga says Nezuko burned the tickets to free everyone), so if it repeatedly only damages demon-oriented magic, or even more specifically, only Muzan-given magic, being able to burn away Gyutaro’s poison makes as much logical sense to me as bloodbending in Avatar: slightly more advanced, but not logically or internally broken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14