• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

That was hype!

At the end where Nez bit through the bamboo tube in her mouth we all audibly gasped. Then when we saw her transformation we just lost it. My wife got physically upset when it cut to the end of the episode demanding they release the next episode right now. Couldn't agree more.

Also, so the ultimate power in Demon Slayer is not some crazy form of breathing... but holding your breath instead? Kind of humorous, that.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Great episode for visuals and action. Only gripe is that I'm not a fan of the 'sudden power up' + 'losing it at the last moment before winning' trope. Either have Tanjiro do the unexpected thing and win or don't have him come so close.
Seeing Nezuko join in was great, nice to see that muzzle gone.
MysticGon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Great episode. These episode reviews have a pretentious, contrarian tone to them and are pretty bad takes in general.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a lovely review. James hit every point I had on my mind pretty well. Hopefully this is a turning point for the arc; it's been deeply mediocre until the last episode or two, but particularly the latest one has been quite fun.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:01 pm Reply with quote
It’s been a while since I got this kind of rush of excitement from a show. Reminds me of when I was a kid watching anime for the first time. Nezuko spoiler[biting through her bamboo mouthpiece] actually made me gasp and I rarely react to a show. The sudden appearance of huge boobs was kind of an eyeroll moment, but I forgot about the unnecessary fanservice pretty quick thanks to everything else being amazing.

Not sure what it is about this season, but I am enjoying it a 100% more than the first (which I enjoyed, but didn’t love like everyone around me did.)
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Great episode for visuals and action. Only gripe is that I'm not a fan of the 'sudden power up' + 'losing it at the last moment before winning' trope. Either have Tanjiro do the unexpected thing and win or don't have him come so close.

It not so much a powerup but rather it was Tanjirou can only do one move of Fire Dance before need to catch his breath at the moment since he isn't used to it effect yet. When he got angry, he basically throw caution to the wind and use multiple moves at the same time which his body can't handle yet.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but c'mon, y'all. The girl's still, like, thirteen, right?

no she's dead.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'd say this show is well past trying to humanize any demons. The end of first season said that it has been a long time since there was any shifting the ranking of the upper six, and from the two we've seen, they are all in on being demons.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:13 am Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:
I'd say this show is well past trying to humanize any demons. The end of first season said that it has been a long time since there was any shifting the ranking of the upper six, and from the two we've seen, they are all in on being demons.

We saw (what I assume were) some brief flashbacks to Daki's past, so I assume the show will expand on them sooner or later. Not that I mind. I'm fine with the show humanizing the demons as long as it doesn't humanize Muzan Razz

Btw, have we already seen another Upper Moon other than Daki? You mentioned two

EDIT: Nvm I completely forgot about Akaza.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:25 am Reply with quote
Excellent episode. The animation was phenomenal, of course. It is almost a given at this point, which is great. What made it even better was the emotions, then the cold rage, the hot wrath. Loved the tie-in back to Rengoku's father concerning the mark, the hints about Tanjiro's father, Muzan's memories, and finally Tanjiro almost killing himself with his technique.

Finally of course Nezuko stepping in to take on this demon. Clearly there is something that is working counter to the normal demon biology in her since she doesn't feed on humans. My guess is as she continues on down the path of light...eventually she herself will return from the darkness of the demons. Her strength isn't coming from Muzan at all (whereas all of the other demons are steeped in the darkness, blood and despair).

I've really enjoyed this arc thus far, and as the action turns it up a notch, my guess is we won't be disappointed.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:37 am Reply with quote
There goes Nezuko's kryptonite. I SHOUTED when she broke that bamboo and bashed in Daki's head! What a sight! I agree, it's up there in fight sequences. It's the best for me since the turbulent, tossing house battle way back when. Man, Sunday can't come quick enough!
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:57 am Reply with quote
Reminder that Rengoku fulfilled his mission with zero casualties in exchange for his own life, so it's perfectly understandable that the main trio cried their eyes out or how everyone around Rengoku thought losing such an amazing person is a sad thing. Disagreeing with this is fine, however I find it really tone-deaf if the reasoning is "I don't care" about Rengoku and his family. --> How dares the anime give screentime to the supportive cast?

Covnam wrote:

Even if he would have delivered that blow, he wouldn't have won. Upper Moon demons have the same members for 113 years now. Them being durable are an understatement.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Aww, Nezuko crying really got to me. The background music during that part was so good too.

Still don't like how Tanjiro's siblings just... keep communicating with him from the dead or something.

Interesting that we now have a pair of demon siblings. I can sense the parallels coming.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Aww, Nezuko crying really got to me. The background music during that part was so good too.

Still don't like how Tanjiro's siblings just... keep communicating with him from the dead or something.

Interesting that we now have a pair of demon siblings. I can sense the parallels coming.

It's a very common Asian belief that dead love one watch over their still living family. It's a very spiritual elements and most Japanese viewers don't need to be explain about it.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
Finally, I was able to catch up with Kimetsu no Yaiba, and it was so good! Very Happy

I love for the fact that the Entertainment District Arc had a lighter tone from the others (I cried so much that I'm pretty sure my eyes hurt afterwards lol) and yet it still has the traces of drama and the existential concept on what and how it is to be human. I think what really caught my attention as well, which became one of the factors why I thought this current Arc somehow sets itself apart from others, is its authenticity and rendition of the very Japanese entertainment itself. It has given me nostalgia of the current Gion streets, real appearances of geishas, and indeed, more insight on the very district's culture.

Moving on to the anime, INDEED I WANT MORE NEZUKO IN ACTION! Laughing But I can't wait to see more of the story unfold. Daki's character is alluring and definitely flawless. At some point, she was cute when she started crying out to her brother too Laughing (And seeing Daki with her geta slippers, I swear... this anime gives me nostalgia even in the smallest detail!)

I can't wait for the next episode!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14