• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is The Faraway Paladin Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Cryten wrote:
Why cant the discussion be about what we liked and disliked about faraway paladin?

We did that. We did exactly that.

:/ I was talking about the forum discussion. IE no value comes from just discrediting other opinion. showing and discussing points is better.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
Wow! That was a attack on the author, the production group, the voice actors and the animators of this anime! I hope heartedly disagree with everything stated in this attack on those individuals. It’s almost as if a agenda was chosen as a attack theme prior and like the actual show was never watched in full context! This anime different why? The main character was raised by past undead hero’s! Yes he was from Japan and lived a quit life died young! My opinion is the do not close to what’s put up here! I disagree and after checking Reddit and other social media realized just how attacking this anime and its author! It’s shocking Anime News Network let this be posted on the site! I enjoy the story, it’s pacing and the animation so far! Far Away Paladin has built up an interesting world so far! I will be along for the journey! I am disappointed by this attack! But everyone is allowed a opinion! Just when it’s used on social media it should get called out for what it is!
Thank You someone who disagrees with what written and stated here!!!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
Faraway Paladin is definitely just the 21st century version of Lodoss War, but with worse animation. Basically: a novelized D&D campaign.

And the whole feel of the story skews super 90s. Like, y'all... just imagine how much restraint it took to not make Menel a busty elf girl.

Quote:
Or take the opposite approach! Stretch out the origin story stuff and let us just spend time with this family alongside Will to give it all more oomph when he things go to pot. As-is, it just feels too cluttered in the anime, and honestly has me curious about trying the light novels instead.

I remember back in the "dark ages" of LN and manga adaptations, we'd often see stories expanded in the adaptation rather than cut. Most fans really hated it--decrying the "filler"--and while, yeah, sometimes it was justified (okay, mostly, it did often tend to be rather low-effort) but it did almost universally result in better-paced shows.

In another era, I can absolutely see Faraway Paladin devoting an entire cour to Will's childhood, slowly teasing out the mysteries and ambiguities of the characters while worldbuilding. And also using that slower pacing to be able to spend more of the animation budget on the big climactic fights. Oh well.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather watch a show involving characters I might hate, than watching ones with no flaws whatsoever. Call a spade a spade, but don't go acting snobbish that others don't find meaning or value in said work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3