• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
I think it's unfair to call Wonder Egg Priority the worst show of the year, sure it was abruptly canceled after just seven episodes without resolving anything, but those seven episodes were pretty good!

I agree. It is fair to call WEP a dissapointment, but not the worst. The first 7 or so episodes are masterful; the rest of the episodes are still Decent to Good.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure did not get the spot in the Top 20 it deserved. I’m not surprised but I am disappointed.

I did not see any of the staff picks for worst anime, but I still have some thoughts based on what I’ve heard (and seeing as I haven’t seen these shows, it’s by no means a final judgement). Yashahime I plan to watch after Inuyasha and I will reserve judgement on it until I see it for myself. Maybe I’ll love it, hate it, find it so-so, whatever, I just want my opinion on a show I think I might like to be my own. Wonder Egg Priority I’ve heard all about, all the spoilers, and based on that I’ll just say I’m glad I’m a Pretty Cure fan; Kira Kira Pretty Cure A La Mode dealt with trauma and emotional healing quite a bit better. James’s remarks about The Fruit of Evolution were pretty funny in my opinion.

The only time I saw an anime that made someone prominent’s worst list (not on ANN, though) was 2019’s Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastorale. And I thought that was incredibly unfair, because not only did I really like the show but it was just cute and wholesome and didn’t deserve backlash like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I’m surprised by the amount of praise Nomad gets, I thought it was pretty bad personally. The first 5-6 episodes set it up for a potentially good season but fell flat. I’d much rather just watch Ashita no joe again or Hajime no ippo.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm fully aware of Wonder Egg Priority's massive downturn in quality, but worst anime of the year by the majority of reviewers? Compared to the absolute story assassination of The Promised Neverland Season 2 or the abysmal overall quality of Ex-Arm? WEP has a case for being that low, but at least it started off well, which can't be said for most of the other "contenders".
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I feel like for the (rightfully deserved) hate that Promised Neverland season 2 gets... the manga was honestly also god awful. Not the whole thing, but like, the last third of it is some of the most disappointing manga I have read in years. The first arc of TPN? Absolute perfection. The next few arcs? Also pretty solid through Goldy Pond. I'll probably give it to the end of Cuvitidala arc as "worth reading".

But then, the cracks start to show in the next arc, starting around vol 13, and just getting worse every single chapter until the very end. It became physically painful for me to continue reading as character motivations shift with no rhyme or reason, plot gets spilled out all over the place and hurriedly mopped up, deus ex machina happens all over the place, and the whole thing just collapses in on itself in some of the worst storytelling I have ever seen. It was honestly hard to believe the same person wrote the story through Goldy Pond, I'm still wondering if an alien took over their body and was like "ima wrap this up so I can go do alien things". It's like someone said "it can NOT go over 20 vols, also, you need to fit 30 vols worth of story in those last 7 vols". At least the anime did its misery comparatively quickly and made itself known that it was going to fall apart starting around ep 4. The manga kept giving me hope until the last couple of vols. But the ending was so bad, it wiped away my previous appetite for the first 2/3rds of the series, and it's rare that that happens for me. I was immediately repulsed to see it sitting on my manga shelves and had to sell it immediately so I could forget it existed in my house.

So I would say, enjoy season 1, if you're going to read, don't read past Cuvitidala, and just find a really good fanfic cus I just KNOW someone else has written a better ending out there.
Based Okarin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
As others say, the nomination of Wonder Egg Priority as the worst series of the year is quite unfair, even more so when there were works as gruesome as Ex-arm, Tesla Note, Scarlet Nexus, The Fruit of Evolution or Deep Insanity. I imagine that no one saw these aberrations and that is why they were not mentioned mostly.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I would say, enjoy season 1, if you're going to read, don't read past Cuvitidala, and just find a really good fanfic cus I just KNOW someone else has written a better ending out there.

You can't start to explain why season 2 sucks without admiting season 1 sucked as well

The TPN anime is hands down one of the worst adaptations I ever seen, and it all comes down with its obsession with plot over theme and character.
Also you won't find a better ending than Emma spoiler[ telling Norman (and by extension every reddit user) that he's a bloody coward for opting for sacrificing billions for the sake of his plan.And then there's Isabella's "this obidience has not future " montage]

Rest in peace TPN, your source material will live alongisde Death Parade as one of the prime examples of "a large portion of the audience missed the point entirely"

As for my worst pick of the year? Let's just say I have a few ideas for a WEP in which spoiler[ Ai learns her teacher not only made up the thing about Koito, but not because he was groomingnher, but bdcause he wanted to hide the fact that she was his biological daughter (she had been trying to get closer to her not really knowingnthe nature of his relationship with her mother, which was a date rape scenario first labelled as an extra marital affair. She committed suicide after learning this and watching him trying to get his hands clean to not damage his reputation)

As for Frill, it is then revealed that she didn't force anyone to commit suicide, and Acca's daughter, out of curiosity, asked her how she was created. Cue Frill describing her programing in explicit detail, which included the Acca bros psycologically torturing girls (who are then shown to be the same onesAi and co helped through the eggs, by making then go through their traumas again since "raw data" was needed to make an "accurate" person
Acca's daughter does not take it well, specially since she had a crush on her father's partner, and begins to wonder if she's only data for the two, to which Frill likely says something remarkably unsensitive]

The other worst show everyone missed in their lists was
way of the househusband. Yes, that was this year
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As others say, the nomination of Wonder Egg Priority as the worst series of the year is quite unfair, even more so when there were works as gruesome as Ex-arm, Tesla Note, Scarlet Nexus, The Fruit of Evolution or Deep Insanity.

“Most Disappointing” probably describes it better than “Worst” — it frustrated people in a way which shows which were terrible right from the start can’t.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
To think there was a time when I thought Wonder Egg Priority was going to sweep every best anime list...

Worst anime for me was Yasuke. Initially excited for Takeshi koike's character design, and the promise of a six episode action romp, then learning he did not participate in the show past that only to watch a show that was simultaneously underbaked and overstuffed at the same

Quote:
The other worst show everyone missed in their lists was
way of the househusband. Yes, that was this year

Damn somehow forgot about this. Really pained me to watch this (dropped after an 1½ episodes), it just slavishly reproduced the manga only with worse artwork and no sense of comedic timing/pacing

Last edited by Abraham Omosun on Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Based Okarin wrote:
As others say, the nomination of Wonder Egg Priority as the worst series of the year is quite unfair, even more so when there were works as gruesome as Ex-arm, Tesla Note, Scarlet Nexus, The Fruit of Evolution or Deep Insanity. I imagine that no one saw these aberrations and that is why they were not mentioned mostly.

Think of it this way:

We reviewers are all busy people. Most of us work full time jobs in addition to ANN, as well as possibly other writing gigs. We watch a lot of anime for our work here; are we really going to spend our precious time watching most or all of a series we hate, just so we can be absolutely sure we watched the worst anime of the year? There's a reason the non-Wegg picks are all series we were paid to watch in some form or another. Many of us watched Wegg because it was good until suddenly it wasn't, and the themes and symbolic systems collapsed around its ears. It's like ordering off a menu; you're not going to pick something you hate and declare it the worst meal ever. However, if you get something you expect to like but find out the key ingredient is rotten, that's going to stand out as a terrible meal for you.
cyborgkiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Happy that 4 of my top 5 made it to the top 20 list (ODDTAXI, Fruits Basket the Final, Megalobox 2, SSSS.Dynazenon), but gotta admit I'm sad my absolute favourite by far didn't make it, Sonny Boy. I know it wasn't very popular but man that show did a number on me, more than anything else in a long while. Great to see the other 4 up there though, I really didn't expect to see ODDTAXI at the top of the list since I was under the impression a lot of people thought it was a furry anime lol
Based Okarin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Based Okarin wrote:

Think of it this way:

We reviewers are all busy people. Most of us work full time jobs in addition to ANN, as well as possibly other writing gigs. We watch a lot of anime for our work here; are we really going to spend our precious time watching most or all of a series we hate, just so we can be absolutely sure we watched the worst anime of the year? There's a reason the non-Wegg picks are all series we were paid to watch in some form or another. Many of us watched Wegg because it was good until suddenly it wasn't, and the themes and symbolic systems collapsed around its ears. It's like ordering off a menu; you're not going to pick something you hate and declare it the worst meal ever. However, if you get something you expect to like but find out the key ingredient is rotten, that's going to stand out as a terrible meal for you.

I understand your point. Still I find it more appropriate to qualify the series as the most disappointing, as @Dayraven points out (I suppose it is already a purely semantic matter).

And believe me, it was enough to watch a couple of minutes of the series that I mentioned before and one could already draw conclusions (it would certainly not be the most rigorous). At least we have the reliable testimony of James Becket, who was tortured to watch The Fruit of Evolution weekly.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I've never seen the anime for TPN, season 1 or 2, but I have read the entire manga. Any criticisms I have with the series are coming solely from the manga, and no other sources.

My issue with the ending wasn't spoiler[Emma telling off Norman, it was him instantly agreeing with her when he had spent years in one mind set, only to be changed instantly]. Maybe the desired effect was fine, but the execution was extremely bad, and that counts.

Last edited by zawa113 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Based Okarin wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Based Okarin wrote:

Think of it this way:

I understand your point. Still I find it more appropriate to qualify the series as the most disappointing, as @Dayraven points out (I suppose it is already a purely semantic matter).

And believe me, it was enough to watch a couple of minutes of the series that I mentioned before and one could already draw conclusions (it would certainly not be the most rigorous). At least we have the reliable testimony of James Becket, who was tortured to watch The Fruit of Evolution weekly.

"Most disappointing" wouldn't always be the most appropriate choice either, though. James and Nick weren't disappointed by Ex-Arm and Fruit of Evolution, since they went in knowing they were subjecting themselves to something terrible. I can't say Wave disappointed me, because the quality was roughly consistent from beginning to end. Most Disappointing would be an entirely different pick (for the record: Farewell, My Dear Cramer, which looked like ass to the point that it interfered with the story).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
As I have posted elsewhere, I watched PuraOre: Pride of Orange all they way through and failed to see where hockey was insulted.

Tristan and Geoff would like a few words with you. Laughing Plus idols.

I think the worst of what I watched through (Ex-Arm doesn't count, being in a class of its own) was Tesla Note. It was bearable only because the people making it clearly weren't taking any of it seriously, from plot to characterizations. The CG was always terrible. But the final episode was so unfinished that it made Episode 11 of Wizard Barristers look like sakuga. The "epic" showdown was essentially reduced to dialog, sound effects and a static shot of the sun with lens flare. When they deigned to put people in the shot (still frame, i.e.), they were one, maybe two characters against a blank background, which was occasionally a random color when it wasn't plain white. The action was incomprehensible, as none of it was onscreen.

I've never seen a production fall apart so completely in the last episode as this. It was like the animation staff said, "Screw this, we're done, going home for Christmas KFC now," and everybody knew it wasn't worth rescheduling for when it was actually completed so they just threw it out there.

Would it be possible to put up all the Poll results on the Surveys page, rather than just "survey is over"? I get that there are way too many series on the list to put in the article, but it would be nice to see where everything shook out, as was done with some other surveys, e.g., the Favorite Summer 2020 anime and OP surveys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9