• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Re: the daily streaming poll. Just for the record, I’m not among the ones who will be asking for whatever awful anime someone’s unfortunate enough to have to watch this season. Instead, I voted for Delicious Party Pretty Cure (which I expect to be amazing).

I volunteer to cover it every time. Maybe this will be our season!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Re: the daily streaming poll. Just for the record, I’m not among the ones who will be asking for whatever awful anime someone’s unfortunate enough to have to watch this season. Instead, I voted for Delicious Party Pretty Cure (which I expect to be amazing).

Last season we got a “you all asked for this” in The Fruit of Evolution weekly reviews and I sure didn’t. What I asked for was Pretty Cure.

(I hope this isn’t mean or anything, that wasn’t my intention.)

Oh, that kind of thing has been going on for years now, ever since the debut of the infamously-bad Chaos Dragon back in 2015. While it doesn't come up every season, it has been happening more regularly of late, mostly because James has been so good at making flippant takes on craps titles that a sizable chunk of voters are now doing it deliberately to see what he'll come up with. In other cases, it's a title that's just genuinely popular despite being poorly-regarded by reviewers.

The most likely candidate this season might be World's End Harem, which I voted for myself. (Rusted Armors is, I would argue, worse, but I can't see people being much interested in that one.) I could see that one being done seriously, though, since there is at least some potential for discussion of social issues there.

Last edited by Key on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
Maybe this is the season Dragon Quest finally gets in. Fingers crossed
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
There were so few shows to vote for coverage this season (especially from the new entries) that when I saw one reviewer making a plea for some Lupin votes, I just added it out of pity Laughing
Quote:
Vanitas has been gone for three slutty, slutty months.

This might be one of my favorite opening lines to any preview guide review.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Maybe this is the season Dragon Quest finally gets in. Fingers crossed

I don't have much hope for that, but fingers crossed with you anyway. Confused
Mimas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
To not water down my vote, I only put in Dragon Quest Dai. I had my hopes up that we might have gotten a series review for the first half or something, but it looks like that must have fell through. Chances for weekly streaming seem grim.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My only vague complaint is that the English and French titles don't match up – presumably the English matches the Japanese, but this episode in French is called “The Silver Forest,” not “Chance Encounter,” while next week's is “The Witch's Castle” rather than “The Young Man and the Witch.”

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the first cour did this too. In which case I'm certain it's a deliberate, stylistic choice.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the first cour did this too. In which case I'm certain it's a deliberate, stylistic choice.

It did, and it bothered me then, too. Smile
Spider3PO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Tokyo24th Ward, cause I read comments where people want to drop it. And I think it still has potential. I don't know, I still haven't come across an episode yet that makes me want to move on. Something about it just reminds me of an Atlus game, which is a good thing to me. Maybe I've got a weird bias.

I also voted Sabikui Bisco, but I imagine there are reviewers who are stoked about seeing where this one goes. Still, I've always enjoyed watching something and reading an review after.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Saeryen wrote:
Re: the daily streaming poll. Just for the record, I’m not among the ones who will be asking for whatever awful anime someone’s unfortunate enough to have to watch this season...Last season we got a “you all asked for this” in The Fruit of Evolution weekly reviews and I sure didn’t....

Oh, that kind of thing has been going on for years now, ever since the debut of the infamously-bad Chaos Dragon back in 2015. While it doesn't come up every season, it has been happening more regularly of late, mostly because James has been so good at making flippant takes on craps titles that a sizable chunk of voters are now doing it deliberately to see what he'll come up with....The most likely candidate this season might be World's End Harem, which I voted for myself. (Rusted Armors is, I would argue, worse, but I can't see people being much interested in that one.)...
Hey, hey now, let's give some love to Nick Dupree who surpassed human limits to properly review Ex-Arm! And having seen Ep2 of World's End Harem and Ep1 of Rusted Armors, I have to say they have potentially interesting (if highly derivative) stories hiding inside. Thus my vote for those isn't a "troll vote" by any means. Sorry, but I'd never vote for Pretty, Whatever but consider that it isn't obviously "good" shows that need reviewing but those which are questionable. Vanitas was that for me last season but I won't vote for it this season because it is "known good"...
xolulu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, that kind of thing has been going on for years now, ever since the debut of the infamously-bad Chaos Dragon back in 2015. While it doesn't come up every season, it has been happening more regularly of late, mostly because James has been so good at making flippant takes on craps titles that a sizable chunk of voters are now doing it deliberately to see what he'll come up with. In other cases, it's a title that's just genuinely popular despite being poorly-regarded by reviewers.

I, for one, find those reviews to be superbly unfunny. No offense to James or whoever else does them but if I wanted to see some dude getting paid to make smug wisecracks then I'd rather watch a Marvel movie, because at least they come with action and explosions. I understand some readers might derive some sadomasochistic sense of pleasure from it all, but ultimately you're the one choosing to play along. If you consider yourself a critic then make some worthwhile critique, otherwise if you just want the attention then go make some Youtube videos or something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:09 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
consider that it isn't obviously "good" shows that need reviewing but those which are questionable.

For me it's not so much "need" reviewing, but whether reviews would or could add anything to them. Like, I usually learn something from most of Rebecca's reviews (e.g., see the opening lines of her Vanitas review in the Guide), and if a show looks like it will be complex or especially confusing for me, if I'm interested in that show, I'll vote for it in hopes of getting reviews that will help me or teach me.

I'm also looking for shows where the reviews might give me a different perspective on them, or stimulate discussion. No matter how much I might enjoy a series, if there's really nothing to say or add to it each week, I'll read a review if there is one, but I won't vote for one. All that's in general though, as I might break my own guidelines from season to season. Smile
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

For me it's not so much "need" reviewing, but whether reviews would or could add anything to them. ..... No matter how much I might enjoy a series, if there's really nothing to say or add to it each week, I'll read a review if there is one, but I won't vote for one.

That is true. The most recent example was Komi-san. The reviews were ending up quite short because there really wasn't much that could be said about the content. There isn't much we can analyze in Takagi-san either. On the other hand, even if we're not talking about a good show, I fully enjoy reading the Platinum End reviews and how they dissect every ridiculous characterization and story-telling flaw.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does it feel like this Winter season plate is much smaller than usual?...
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:00 am Reply with quote
Dunno the number, but the quality of this winter season's series are average, at its best.

Voted for Bisco, The prince who want to sell out his kingdom & Monster Department, but I really, really hope we won't have another "so bad it's good" review again. It's not funny having someone having to pass through an awful series just because the lulz; it's a waste of time and effort (and mental health damage, to boot).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19