• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:18 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Is it just me, or does it feel like this Winter season plate is much smaller than usual?...

No, you're right, I checked and last Fall preview guide had 38 shows, and this one has only 30 so far - not including Salaryman's Club and Delicious Party Precure, which would make it 32 - you can check it here: animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2021/fall/.177516

Perhaps the Covid delays have finally caught up? Or is it something else?

I'm also here to shill for Slow Loop, please vote for it, you won't regret it, it's not your average SoL title, I can promise you that.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:10 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Is it just me, or does it feel like this Winter season plate is much smaller than usual?...

No, you're right, I checked and last Fall preview guide had 38 shows, and this one has only 30 so far - not including Salaryman's Club and Delicious Party Precure, which would make it 32 - you can check it here: animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2021/fall/.177516

Perhaps the Covid delays have finally caught up? Or is it something else?

Actually, 32 is the average for titles covered individually in the Preview Guide over the past six years. The Fall '21 season is in a three-way tile for the third-highest ever* (behind only the 39 in the Spring '21 season and the 40 in the Spring '16 season), and 2021 had the highest average for any year* (at 37, topping the previous record of 35.75 set in 2018), so this could be more a case of the COVID delay-related bulge finally flattening out. Or it could just be normal seasonal fluctuations.

* - I only went back to the Winter 2014 season, as the different format for the Preview Guide before then makes getting an accurate count of titles covered difficult. However, I am reasonably confident that no season before that was anywhere near that high; even hitting 25 for a season was rare prior to 2014, and 20 or less was more the norm. (That the concept of split-cour series debuted with Fate/Zero in 2011/12 and that streaming coverage of series wasn't as universal back then are probably contributing factors to this.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
[(That the concept of split-cour series debuted with Fate/Zero in 2011/12

I know this is off topic but I ~~hate~~ love to be pedantic but the concept of split cour shows seems to have been pioneered by Studio Deen in the mid 2000s. Examples include Maria-sama ga Miteru (Winter/Summer 2004), Junjou Romantica and Vampire Knight (Spring/Fall 2008), and Hakuoki (Spring/Fall 2010) among other examples later. Other studios may have done this too, but they're the ones I know of earliest.

Pedantism over, sorry bout that
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:09 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Key wrote:
[(That the concept of split-cour series debuted with Fate/Zero in 2011/12

I know this is off topic but I ~~hate~~ love to be pedantic but the concept of split cour shows seems to have been pioneered by Studio Deen in the mid 2000s. Examples include Maria-sama ga Miteru (Winter/Summer 2004), Junjou Romantica and Vampire Knight (Spring/Fall 2008), and Hakuoki (Spring/Fall 2010) among other examples later. Other studios may have done this too, but they're the ones I know of earliest.

Pedantism over, sorry bout that

No, I had clearly forgotten about those titles. However, I think it's still safe to say that Fate/Zero started the trend for his, as previous cases were mostly isolated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, Key, one of the earliest shows that I remember to be split-cour was Gundam 00 (October 07 to March 08 and from October 08 to March 09) about four years before the Fate/Zero series was.

On another note, I don't mind that this season doesn't have as much as the last several seasons. I actually enjoy the break.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I've really got to admit there are a lot of shit shows this season, so far I've only found about 4 that are worth watching so far. That's not a good record compared to last season.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I don't know, Key, one of the earliest shows that I remember to be split-cour was Gundam 00 (October 07 to March 08 and from October 08 to March 09) about four years before the Fate/Zero series was.

Wasn't Code Geass split as well, effectively alternating cours with Gundam 00? I thought that was the point at which Sunrise switched to a split-cours model for most of their major TV anime.

As far as reviews go, I'm rooting for Requiem of the Rose King to make the cut. It stands out from a lot else running this season, and I think it would offer a lot to write about, even if it doesn't live up to its manga.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:22 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I've really got to admit there are a lot of shit shows this season, so far I've only found about 4 that are worth watching so far. That's not a good record compared to last season.
And somehow I put 11 of the shows covered on my watchlist, with both Salaryman's Club and Delicious Party Precure as prospective candidates to bring that up to lucky 13. (To just under half of the season.)

It's always fascinating how tastes can vary, but that's anime fandom.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I feel like we have this discourse every winter and summer about it being lighter than the other seasons but I still always manage to find about a dozen shows to watch. Personally I'd be down with having less packed seasons in general given how overworked anime studios are nowadays. Cloverworks is already working on three different shows this season.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:31 am Reply with quote
Im 2 episodes into my Dress Up Darling and i cant decide if I like it or not. Its so pervy and dumb, but the lack of communication and oblivious nature of the characters is bugging me... but man its really nicely animated, and has some great character moments too.

Like Gojo isnt an idiot, but clearly he is uncomfortable with what Marin does by just showing up and flitting around in a bikini in his room. But rather than just say he is uncomfortable, hijinks ensue.

Meanwhile Marin is clueless to how the way she acts is affecting him, which seems unusual for someone who in episode 1 seemed pretty clued in to others, even if she is slightly disinteressted.

I know Im overthinking this, and Im just being annoyed by staples of the genre, but I just LIKE this show and really want it to just be better. Sad
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:46 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like we have this discourse every winter and summer about it being lighter than the other seasons but I still always manage to find about a dozen shows to watch.

Same. I rarely have less than 9-10 shows to watch (combined with leftovers and sequels) in every season. I think this is because the series that started in the first week of this season were the weakest ones and people got disappointed by first impression.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:39 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Im 2 episodes into my Dress Up Darling and i cant decide if I like it or not. Its so pervy and dumb, but the lack of communication and oblivious nature of the characters is bugging me... but man its really nicely animated, and has some great character moments too....
I know Im overthinking this, and Im just being annoyed by staples of the genre, but I just LIKE this show and really want it to just be better. Sad

Had kind've a similar struggle. It was about as well done as an episode of light ecchi could be, but it was a lot less interesting than the show's first episode, and a lot more trite. Not a surprise, exactly (I mean -- there was even a brief, unnecessary shot of Kitagawa's underwear in episode 1?), but I hope we get back to focusing more on their personalities for a while. I also hope they can both buck genre tropes a bit harder; I don't need her being his ecchi manic pixie girl, and I'd love for him to quickly get past knuckling his forehead and desperately apologizing every 5 seconds.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:18 am Reply with quote
I suggest you give My Dress Up Darling a couple more episodes. Unless they change significantly from the manga we are past the worst of the overtly ecchi scenes. It should mostly be the practical process of creating cosplay. Some of their matter of fact discussion of the eroge in public is a riot.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:29 pm Reply with quote
That's good to hear. It earned enough good will from me in the first episode that I've definitely not given up on it yet. And, I mean -- I don't even hate ecchi, I just think that particular scene has been done to death, and was hoping for something with a more unique style, given how charming the premiere had been. Good to hear they'll get back to more of that shortly.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Dress-Up Darling, it's written that it's on Funimation, but it's available on Crunchyroll for me? Is it on both platforms? If so, I would find it useful to if it was noted, I sometime use info from Preview Guide to see what's available to me, since Funimation is "USA and friends" only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19