• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's CODA, Companies From 12 Other Countries to Form International Anti-Piracy Organization

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
c933103 wrote:
I think they see it as their right to limit their content availability
Like a certain novel release 8 different short stories per volumes on average. But they're available in 8 different physical chain stores in Japan only. So you need to buy 8 copies of the novel from 8 different physical stores everytime a new volume is released to read all of the stories. And they think it is a sustainable growth strategy that will allow them to sell more books.

Not really comparable. In your example, living in Japan, nothing's stopping you from buying the different editions. If you're region-blocked outside Japan, that's not possible.

Outside large cities, to visit all the eligible bookstores, that'd take quite a lot of trip to reach all the sfores, it's not like all of them have branches in all the towns, and the fiscal and time cost of doing so wouldn't necessarily be cheaper than a foreigner flying to Tokyo to gather them all. Well during the pandemic it's an exception.

Also, physical books get sold out. I follow a lot of "smaller name" mangaka and illustrators whose works don't get millions of copies to be sold. And often their readers struggle not simply with finding a store that carries the manga (or is willing/able to order it) but just being able to buy it at all. (And here's where the secondhand market comes in which I think is more of an actual problem to these creators than piracy, but it certainly has the same ultimate effect, the book going around without the creator seeing any money or sales numbers from it. Some mangaka I follow even asked their followers not to tell them if they bought their manga secondhand.)

And strangely enough, most of these creators never advertise the ebook releases, nor do readers looking for the manga seem to just buy them digitally - even though they're available (that's how I buy them, after all). Some seem to have started paying attention to the existence of digital after I mentioned it. It's like here and now, in the year of our lord 2021 digital is still not seen as a market of equal importance as print. I don't think it even counts toward sales numbers.

Last edited by SHD on Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:35 pm Reply with quote
this is such a waste of time and money for something that has never truly been proven harmful (because most people that pirate simply won't consume the media if they can't pirate it). Would be nicer if they used these resources instead of helping consumers. Having to buy so many different subscription services is unaffordable for most people. Fixing this would get them more money than attempting to stop piracy.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:24 pm Reply with quote
How dare them use my beloved Keronians for evil.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Another day at the whac-a-mole arcade.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
this is such a waste of time and money for something that has never truly been proven harmful (because most people that pirate simply won't consume the media if they can't pirate it). Would be nicer if they used these resources instead of helping consumers. Having to buy so many different subscription services is unaffordable for most people. Fixing this would get them more money than attempting to stop piracy.

^^ THIS!

Same problem 15 years ago. Too many DVD releases to demographic with limited spending power. Only replace DVD with stream service. Add global demographic outside Japan having no access to alternative.

Still remember when Hamasaki Ayumi and AVEX pulled everything from iTunes because argument, if online digital, can be pirated. Japanese mentality if there no trash cans, there no trash. Same applies to digital media.

Any way, every few years there claims big crack down, and never happens. Like game where you smack rodent with stick that randomly pops out of holes. Shut down one pirate, nine more appear.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that series that were never fully distributed or are only distributed in an edited format are both serious issues that are not being fully addressed examples are the Megaman.exe anime, Zatch Bell, the earlier Digimon series.

These companies that refuse to learn keep making the same mistakes of not fully addressing the issues and not pushing for enough legal alternatives to address this issue.

I been to focusing on legal streaming via purchasing Digital content and that is something I use to help save me money and space and I do it from two different sources other than the other legal streaming sites.

The only piracy I ever did was for things not legally available and it has been around 12 years since I quit the illegal downloading business due to the harm it was causing to my computer.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

They're still on pushing it because it's true. YOU might buy more as a result of your torrenting but that is not the case majority of the time, nor has it ever been. *clap clap*

...except it's not. We've known it's not for a long time. The EU actively buried a study stating that it's not. If people currently watch all of their anime illegally and don't spend a dime on it, they're not going to magically start spending substantial amounts of money if it becomes harder to get it for free. They'll just move on and do something else with their free time. Those of us who do spend significant amounts of money on anime and related content will continue to do so whether or not we also occasionally download something. The only reason that industry groups try to create this false association is because it's the only thing giving any sort of credence to draconian anti-piracy measures.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
This is just ironic, i have many novels in my shelf that i would never bought if i hadn't had read it before in some sites. But welp they will never learn.
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Piracy is not bad. Most people pirating would never buy anything anyway. [expletive] stupid companies, I hope you fail miserably.
Drive646

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:52 am Reply with quote
Piracy is destroying Chinese and Korean comic industry!! Im glad that china and korea are joining too!
Drive646

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:58 am Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
Piracy is not bad. Most people pirating would never buy anything anyway. [expletive] stupid companies, I hope you fail miserably.

Goodbye Manga, Manwha, Manhua, Anime and Donghua Rolling Eyes
Drive646

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:06 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

You can watched anime in youtube in muse asia and ani-one for free legally if you lived in asia so pirating is not a reason anymore..
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:21 am Reply with quote
So they are losing money on series' that they keep in a vault with no intentions of have them streamed or for sale as a physical release? Got it.
tsog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:42 am Reply with quote
A bit of a sidetrack, but Shirabi (illustrator for 86, Myriad Colors Phantom World, The Ryuo's Work is Never Done!) was recently caught pirating manga:
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/fa694c3dfb202d3823ae1ea5784a063d20f7ba64

Everyone does it, but sucks if you get caught (especially if you are famous).

Top Gun wrote:
Hell, torrenting things over the years has wound up making me spend significantly more than if I hadn't downloaded them.

cchigu wrote:

As much as I sympathize with some of the reasons people pirate, I just have to Laughing at the polar opposite reasons people give to justify piracy
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:09 am Reply with quote
I would say that the majority of the manga that I've purchased in my life have all been because I read them illegally at some point in time. I usually buy series because I like the mangaka and want to support them (albeit they get maybe a nickel per volume sold in the US and I usually don't feel good about the cuts the US distributors take).

I would like to see more done to support artists. I do not think that NFTs are the way to go though. Those are a scam and I'll give my money to various auction sites before I ever buy NFT. I would definitely be up to buying more direct commissions from those artists that don't have the pressing schedules that many monthly magazine artists have. I realize that that's not an option for many people due to the expense, but it would be nice to at least have that option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4