• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV Game Suspends Shipments, Digital Sales, Free Trial Due to Congestion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
They also admitted one of the main server errors was due to an 11 year old bug they never bothered to fix after blaming it on players having bad internet connections for the last couple weeks.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:02 am Reply with quote
Suffering from success.
skribe~

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
They also admitted one of the main server errors was due to an 11 year old bug they never bothered to fix after blaming it on players having bad internet connections for the last couple weeks.

"Didn't know existed" = "never bothered to fix."

Some people will whine about anything.They're giving you almost a month for free and fixing the bug. What exactly are you complaining about?
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
This story seems really odd to me. Unless they run everything on on-premise servers (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me), they should be able to easily scale their server capabilities. Unless they don't want to due to budgetary reasons.

I mean I like the message of "we can't handle the success we're experiencing" it seems like something that really shouldn't happen if they had their affairs in order.
TsukimoriKyouki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:24 am Reply with quote
Donkey-er wrote:
This story seems really odd to me. Unless they run everything on on-premise servers (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me), they should be able to easily scale their server capabilities. Unless they don't want to due to budgetary reasons.

I mean I like the message of "we can't handle the success we're experiencing" it seems like something that really shouldn't happen if they had their affairs in order.

They have servers in several locations, but yes, they OWN the servers and are not using a third party. That said, it doesn't matter. the chip shortage made it impossible for them to upgrade their servers in time
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
Well thats a first, even WoW didn't go through this.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:

They never blamed players they just explained that the error could caused by too many players being in the queue or because of instability in the players connection.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
Donkey-er wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the issue is that they are running up against the physical capacities of the servers they have and, despite herculean efforts and a willingness to pay pretty big markups, they've been unable to acquire the amount of servers they need to support current demand. Even more simply, the problem right now is physics and supply shortages.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It's incredible to see how this game went from the awful mess that was 1.0 into such a critical and commercial success that they had to stop selling the game and pulled new advertisements.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
It's incredible to see how this game went from the awful mess that was 1.0 into such a critical and commercial success that they had to stop selling the game and pulled new advertisements.

That's always where my mind goes too. Imagine you went back in time and told people like... a month after launch that this game would be this much of a success. They'd deem that less realistic than you being a time traveler lol
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
Donkey-er wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the issue is that they are running up against the physical capacities of the servers they have and, despite herculean efforts and a willingness to pay pretty big markups, they've been unable to acquire the amount of servers they need to support current demand. Even more simply, the problem right now is physics and supply shortages.

Covid has a part to play in this as well. There is going to be a new Oceana data center which i assume is in australia. Australia’s borders have been closed and so the haven’t been able to get anyone on the ground.

Anyway I think they have been pretty open with the issues. That said, I’m on Toonbery which is one of the busiest and have been getting buy by sending my character to a quieter server. It works great. You can still do dungeons with your free company, but just cant hang out on the map.
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow did Asmongold really have that much of an effect on the game? Seems pretty embarrassing for something like this to happen in our current era of technology
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
Wow did Asmongold really have that much of an effect on the game? Seems pretty embarrassing for something like this to happen in our current era of technology

Asmongold, Rich Campbell, Bellular, Preach, Jesse Cox, Pint, Pyromancer, Captain Grim, Savix, pretty much every big major WoW content creator switched over and it caused a huge wave, plus other big streamers like CohhCarnage and Sodapoppin. Then Hololive started playing it and gave it another huge push.

Can't really blame them much, that's literally millions of new people flooding the servers all at once, and that was during the end of Shadowbringers when there was no new content coming out and people were waiting for the expansion. Once the new expansion hit the floodgates broke.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Just shows how insular Japanese firms can be. Why aren't they using AWS or Linode or some other cloud-based provider that can be easily expanded? I'm sure the answer is some version of "we need to control our content."
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Just shows how insular Japanese firms can be. Why aren't they using AWS or Linode or some other cloud-based provider that can be easily expanded? I'm sure the answer is some version of "we need to control our content."

FFXIV has been around for over 12 years already. They probably started on in house bare metal, and didn't really have the ability to migrate to cloud after all this time. Technical debt rears its head and actually have a real price and hopefully that is the lesson people take home with. While Japanese firms have their issues, this type of problem is not unique to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2