• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Plus Editor Explains Why Shonen Jump+ Handles Overseas Distribution In-House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:06 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

People got by on DUWANG and broken bootleg Honk Kong DVD subs. I think fans are more resilient to... less-than-perfect translations shall we say than people give them credit for.

SOME people got by on those, but having nothing but low quality scanlations available absolutely limits how big an audience any manga can get outside of Japan. There's a reason english-language fandom Jojo's grew exponentially in the decade since the anime started, especially once it was reliably being simulcast with Part 3. Having quality, easily readable translations make it way easier for new and casual fans to get onboard.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:28 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

People got by on DUWANG and broken bootleg Honk Kong DVD subs. I think fans are more resilient to... less-than-perfect translations shall we say than people give them credit for.

SOME people got by on those, but having nothing but low quality scanlations available absolutely limits how big an audience any manga can get outside of Japan. There's a reason english-language fandom Jojo's grew exponentially in the decade since the anime started, especially once it was reliably being simulcast with Part 3. Having quality, easily readable translations make it way easier for new and casual fans to get onboard.

As someone who has gotten by on translations like those, this is very true. You need to be a very dedicated fan to get by on those translations, otherwise you're not going to subject yourself to reading things like that.

This is the reason you always have a very loud group of people decrying proper localizations; they hate the fact that it will make stuff more accessible to the common reader.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:48 am Reply with quote
This whole thing is a joke. It's exactly why I don't support this service at all.

I'm glad that overseas fans are finally getting acknowledged, that's great, but it still feels like not much of a impact, especially when a series gets canceled.

The fact that they are willing to remove and censor original work is always just awful and no matter what it is I will not support that at all. No one should.

Machine translation is idiotic. It's great for basic info and, yes, it can help people but not for something like this. Nothing beats a real humans writing and comprehension. The authentic touch. I understand it's money saving and that people would get the basic gist of the story but if I was a mangaka and found out about that I'd hate it, not to mention the readers.
livin_large

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
The fact that they are willing to remove and censor original work is always just awful and no matter what it is I will not support that at all. No one should.

Pretty much this. I had no issue with the article until they talked about censorship in certain markets like it was an acceptable thing to do. Then I lost interest.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:50 am Reply with quote
I don't know why people think machine translators will make things easier on translators. As someone actually fluent in two languages, fixing the mistakes that a machine makes when they translate takes me far longer than just translating the darn thing myself. TLC is only a fast process if you're TLC'ing an actual competent translator, not a machine that trips over even some of the most common word choices.

The only ones who says that machine translation makes their translation process faster are those who 1) work in technical translations, for like manuals and stuff, or 2) those who aren't actually fluent in the language they're translating from, so they need a crutch.

The companies aren't looking towards machine translations for a faster process, or to help translators' workloads, they're doing it because they know they can pay "editors" less money than translators. It's a capitalist, money-grubbing move, plain and simple.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that Kaiju no. 8 is doing so well for them! I really loved Matsumoto Naoya's previous works, especially Pochi Kuro, and so I'm glad to see that he's found his footing in Jump, instead of getting his series cancelled prematurely like they used to be. Here's hoping for more great things to come for him!
Honeyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:45 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

As someone who has gotten by on translations like those, this is very true. You need to be a very dedicated fan to get by on those translations, otherwise you're not going to subject yourself to reading things like that.

This is the reason you always have a very loud group of people decrying proper localizations; they hate the fact that it will make stuff more accessible to the common reader.

That's right. Not everyone wants to watch something and have to work to read/understand the subtitles when there are regular grammatical inaccuracies in them.

I find the group of people who're against official translations an odd breed. If character names are butchered and the translation is poor, fair enough. If its accurate to the original and allows readers to read various series with ease let them.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
Honeyman wrote:
I find the group of people who're against official translations an odd breed. If character names are butchered and the translation is poor, fair enough. If its accurate to the original and allows readers to read various series with ease let them.

The only people I see complain about official translations are when they're censored or have bad stuff in them. I have never seen someone complain that it made a series more popular.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:35 am Reply with quote
I found some mistakes in the article.
- Manga Plus does not allow overseas readers to buy online volumes. Viz does, though. (Viz & Manga Plus English translations are not always the same).
- Kazé -the French publishing house- did not SELL 250,000 copies of Kaiju 8, they ISSUED such number; it remains to see if they manage to sell them all.
- He said they received offers for live-action adaptations of series running through Manga Plus.
- Previously, an anime adaptation was the selling factor for overseas licenses but now they manage to license mangas without any of them (evidences: Ayakashi Triange, Undead Unluck, Kaiju 8, Sakamoto Days, Elusive Samurai... being licensed in Spain, France, Thailand…) or that foreign publishers look at the numbers in Manga Plus and think "this series will became a hit".

On the other hand, some people at Shueisha still cannot understand what overseas companies do. As if they just flip their mangas, write some strange lettering and that's all -so they are hurting their own business, as in "What if Japanese people go overseas to buy cheaper version of our comics!" maybe?-. Translation is a thing you can do by machine, etc.
Maybe if they listen to foreign readers in something more than using our data to know what might sell overseas, like letting us have back numbers, voting at polls, etc.

Still, when I started reading mangas we all old otakus would've given a limb for having something like Manga Plus instead of waiting for years (even decades!) for a official release or, at worst, the re-re-re-fan-translation of our favourite manga.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
liatris wrote:
It seems unpopular here, but I'm sure machine translation will be the game changer.

If we can use higher performance machine translation, translators will definitely be able to translate faster than they are now. The attempt has already begun.
It will surely bring a large amount of works outside Japan.

It will be, but not for any good reasons (Well unless you are a meme creator, they're going to have a gold mine of memeable material), I can't see a machine translator spitting out high quality Japanese to English translations in our lifetimes, much less this decade.

As for the censorship, some oversight on what works get licensed here is strongly recommended, either that or just release the works uncensored and just give Twitter, Karens, useless politicians, and the UN the middle finger.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:02 am Reply with quote
I wish MangaPlus add subscription service because manga readers may go back to non-legal manga sites for missing chapters, currently most mangas have only 3 first & last chapters. MangaPlus is not friendly for readers who are not up to date with manga. They should add subscription service if they want to reduce piracy more.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
sadly my experience is that most people really don't care, apparently, as long as they have a general idea of what's going on in a story - and that is regardless of whether that general idea is actually accurate or not.

Quote:
These flaws are glaring to someone like me, but then I keep seeing people saying "nah, I didn't notice any issues" "I thought it was fine" "I guess you're right but it didn't bother me" etc.

Quote:

I think this point is quite important. Not everyone is highly dedicated to a particular series, or manga in general. The readership is varied and they will accept a varied translation. Some will accept "sub-par" translations because to them, they are not really sub-par anyway.

Quote:
I had no issue with the article until they talked about censorship in certain markets like it was an acceptable thing to do. Then I lost interest.

I think this is because making money is a higher priority than preserving the source material in its most original form. For example, China is a huge market for Japanese manga and anime and they edit and censor SO MUCH already for the Chinese market for even the most innocuous "infractions". So the censorship that exist for other markets are really no skin off their back because they are used to be told we are going to cut 50 things if you want money from "our" market. Thus the dance becomes more about how to "best" censor the material so it gets through and makes money. They want to put as little effort as possible for the censorship and make as much money as possible.

Quote:
The companies aren't looking towards machine translations for a faster process, or to help translators' workloads, they're doing it because they know they can pay "editors" less money than translators. It's a capitalist, money-grubbing move, plain and simple.

Exactly what I think why so many on the corporate side are pro-machine translation or think that in 10 years or so it will solve all their "problems".

Quote:
In August, the service removed its region restrictions for all languages. Readers can now select their choice of language for the service from English, Spanish, Thai, Brazilian Portuguese, Indonesian, and Russian.

I think this is one positive thing I really like about the service. As someone who speaks more than one language, it is great to see I can access the other languages even if I am not located in the region.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I wish MangaPlus add subscription service because manga readers may go back to non-legal manga sites for missing chapters, currently most mangas have only 3 first & last chapters. MangaPlus is not friendly for readers who are not up to date with manga. They should add subscription service if they want to reduce piracy more.

I don't know about other countries, but that is the case in the United States to avoid competing with Viz's Shonen Jump subscription service that has all chapters available. If the manga isn't on the Shonen Jump app/website, then Manga Plus should have the full series available. Otherwise, they are limited to only providing the free chapters that the Shonen Jump service also offers for free.

Kaiju No. 8 (which they localize as Monster #8) seems to be the one exception where both Manga Plus and Shonen Jump have all chapters, since it appears they decided they want to make it available in full everywhere. Even if that means commissioning their own translation, which is inferior to Viz's translation.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Will Viz ever save D.Grayman?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
If I want my favorite Shonen Jump titles to get adapted into anime, does it make a difference if I read them on Jump Plus or Viz?

livin_large wrote:
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:

Pretty much this. I had no issue with the article until they talked about censorship in certain markets like it was an acceptable thing to do. Then I lost interest.

I think you’re blaming the wrong party here. Governments like China and companies like Apple (iOS App Store) and Amazon have content restrictions. Shueisha wants to make their content legally and easily available without dealing with removals after the fact. This isn’t about upsetting Twitter or parents groups.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Will Viz ever save D.Grayman?

What is there to save? Viz literally released Volume 27 back in July of last year, and there's no Volume 28 out yet. Maybe all of the chapters aren't available in the Shonen Jump Vault, but otherwise Viz is literally caught up with D.Gray-man right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3