• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Demon Slayer Needs More Nezuko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think there are two issues being argued here as if they were the same thing. For me, it's ok for there to be stories that focus on boys, as long as there are also stories out there that focus on girls. They don't have to be the same stories. But what annoys me is that even when girls are part of the story, whether as MCs or side characters, how they're written and developed is too often crap.

It's not enough to just have female characters -- they need to be written as if they're people and not some alien, inscrutable other. Likewise, if you have well-written, relatable female characters unfettered by traditional stereotypes, they don't necessarily need to be center stage. Representation matters, but the kind of representation matters just as much.
Super_M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

considering that half of JUMP's readership IS women

KarlFranz wrote:
Primary male cast also usually sell better due to the female readers reference (which make up half of the readership)

Isn't Shueisha said in one of their media guide that WSJ readership are 80% male and 20% female?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Isn't Shueisha said in one of their media guide that WSJ readership are 80% male and 20% female?

If you mean those yearly reports of the breakdown of various Shueisha magazines, I don't think I've ever seen them list gender breakdown for Weekly Shounen Jump, just age. I've see other reports on the gender breakdown for others Jump magazines published by Shueisha like V-Jump, Jump Square, Ultra Jump, and so forth and those are generally split at 90-95% male, 5-10% female, but I can't recall ever seeing the breakdown for WSJ specifically.
Super_M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:38 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Super_M wrote:

If you mean those yearly reports of the breakdown of various Shueisha magazines, I don't think I've ever seen them list gender breakdown for Weekly Shounen Jump, just age. I've see other reports on the gender breakdown for others Jump magazines published by Shueisha like V-Jump, Jump Square, Ultra Jump, and so forth and those are generally split at 90-95% male, 5-10% female, but I can't recall ever seeing the breakdown for WSJ specifically.

Is hard to find older reports but I remember I read this somewhere else on different discussion. I found some tweet and link to some article:
https://twitter.com/azabaro/status/329057666934652930
https://web.archive.org/web/20140404160031/http://adnavi.shueisha.co.jp/mediaguide/2013/pdf/boys.pdf
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:01 am Reply with quote
Edit: Wrong thread Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3