• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Twitch Streamer Disguised Toast Banned While Streaming Death Note Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I can't exactly feel sympathy in these cases (even if this one is supposedly staged). Just blatantly showing an entire tv show and commenting is different from a DMCA claim of music that plays for 3 seconds.
phantom360

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Are they not using amazon prime? Because there's plenty to watch on amazon prime otherwise they're idiots for using other streaming services that are not collaborating with twitch
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly, unless I saw wrong earlier, he did it as a warning for other streamers to not do the same thing or risk getting banned, but he's also calling people out because people pretty much just called him a moron and moved on but have been piling on Pokimane for the exact same thing and being sexist about it on top of it.

I'm curious if it was actually staged. Another streamer was suppose to issue the strike against him but both him and that streamer say they never did.

Dude just got back on the Twitch platform to. He was on FB.
Sarcataclysmal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:27 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Supposedly, unless I saw wrong earlier, he did it as a warning for other streamers to not do the same thing or risk getting banned, but he's also calling people out because people pretty much just called him a moron and moved on but have been piling on Pokimane for the exact same thing and being sexist about it on top of it.

I'm curious if it was actually staged. Another streamer was suppose to issue the strike against him but both him and that streamer say they never did.

He did get another streamer to DMCA him, and this was pretty much planned out
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
The whole movie/TV show/anime/w/e is shown on screen, with a bit in the corner being taken by the streamer to do reaction faces. It is that blatant.

I haven't see the video yet (and probably won't), but most people, including the streamers making them, don't understand the nuance between a "viewing session" and a "reaction video."

In separate cases, US courts have upheld that reaction videos are fair use (Matt Hosseinzadeh vs Ethan Klein and Hila Klein), but viewing sessions are not (sorry, couldn't find a link quickly).

The key difference being that a reaction video is more about the hosts' reactions and commentary, while a viewing session is primarily to view the original content with the host. Viewing sessions aren't seen as being transformative enough, and being a potential replacement for the original content.

Can anyone who has seen the stream comment on whether Toast was mostly just watching Naruto, or if he was constantly talking over it, making commentary, and reacting?

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
^He was pretty silent with an odd comment here and there but I only watched half an episode before I got bored. I heard at some points he left with the show running though.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
^He was pretty silent with an odd comment here and there but I only watched half an episode before I got bored. I heard at some points he left with the show running though.
Sounds a lot more like a "viewing session," than a "reaction video" to me.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I wish "streaming rights" of music and maybe even anime were more accessible to individual streamers. I used to be an advocate for PROs extending their radio licensing model to streamers (in which you'd report what you played and paid your license fees all together monthly).

But I think there's a better opportunity here for Twitch to strike deals and create APIs with top services like Spotify, Crunchyroll or Netflix, in which Twitch could require that a streamer showing content available on a particular service be a subscriber of that service to view the stream, and then Twitch could report viewership numbers directly to the service to track viewership and royalties.

It would be messy (impossible?) to work out. Especially considering any special stipulations on individual properties or international rights. I'm sure it's not worth it yet, but I sure hope somebody out there is thinking about it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
Sounds a lot more like a "viewing session," than a "reaction video" to me.

Yeah it’s as blatant as all get out. Currently a popular trend. These big streamers will literally open up crunchyroll and stream 10+ episodes of stuff like Attack on Titan and plan to take the slap on the wrist ban from twitch because the whole thing takes in money for them. From donations during the stream to the publicity and donations after being banned in the name of “support.” It’s all extremely cynical and has nothing to do with whatever stated purpose they’re claiming. Little streamers get perma banned for outrageous DMCAs they cannot even fight, while these ones blatantly do these stunts and get a few hour or days of paid vacation. It’s showcasing the rot while rolling in it.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Sarcataclysmal wrote:
AntiKuro wrote:

He did get another streamer to DMCA him, and this was pretty much planned out

Then a different unnamed streamer did it from the one who was originally supposed to from what I've been able to read online, cause I guess originally Lily was suppose to give him a DMCA Strike but she's claiming on her twitter account that he decided he wanted the strike to be real and she never actually gave him the strike.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:09 am Reply with quote
I guess there's no surprise that streamers that base their business model on exploiting pre-existing IP for their own profit would branch out into anime and other media to create more low-effort content for their channels.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:01 pm Reply with quote
First thing I'll say is, if anyone remembers how Twitch had to previously come down harder on the whole thing with music playing during streams and streamers basically had to go through and clear out any of their archived vods to avoid getting in trouble? Yeah, prepare for Twitch to do that with this. They'll have "no choice" as the rights holders are going to come after Twitch for "not doing enough" to stop this from happening. I imagine the penalties on streamers doing this are about to go up quite a bit.

Second, I used to watch a streamer who started to do this on Sunday afternoons for a few weeks a while back, but not for deliberate publicity (I don't think?). I caught the streams a couple times, so I can't say for sure how it went every time, but he'd have the anime on a smaller screen (smaller than 1/4th) while also showing himself in the larger screen, a game streaming on another screen about the same size as the anime one, and the chat on the side. He'd be commenting on the anime and talking about the game and reacting to stuff in the chat all throughout, but there'd also be long periods where he'd be quiet so you could basically just watch the anime if you wanted. This was at least a year ago I think, so this has been happening to some degree for a long time I believe.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
"Disguised Toast reveals he staged Twitch ban to scare streamers from watching anime"

Quote:
“Why did I do this? No reason, I guess I’m just bored,” Wang said, revealing his newly-threaded Disguised Toast merch. “Not like I have anything to advertise.”

Toast admitted his elaborate anime prank did eventually get out of hand, but in the end he still achieved this goal ⁠— shining a light on Twitch streaming and its DMCA system, which is inherently “broken” right now.

“This has been happening on Twitch for years,” he continued. “Are you mad about it now because I put on a top hat and spelled it out? This whole thing has been a really eye-opening experience. I’m not the good guy, I broke rules, but it’s eye-opening, I hope for everyone.

“Something is broken about the DMCA system. I don’t think I should have gotten away with a whole series. And, I don’t think Hasan should have been taken away with a false DMCA claim. Something’s broken here.

vampiyan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
[url=/entertainment/disguised-toast-staged-twitch-ban-to-scare-anime-streamers-1739426/]"Disguised Toast reveals he staged Twitch ban to scare streamers from watching anime"[/url]

“Why did I do this? No reason, I guess I’m just bored,” Wang said, revealing his newly-threaded Disguised Toast merch. “Not like I have anything to advertise.”

Toast admitted his elaborate anime prank did eventually get out of hand, but in the end he still achieved this goal ⁠— shining a light on Twitch streaming and its DMCA system, which is inherently “broken” right now.

“This has been happening on Twitch for years,” he continued. “Are you mad about it now because I put on a top hat and spelled it out? This whole thing has been a really eye-opening experience. I’m not the good guy, I broke rules, but it’s eye-opening, I hope for everyone.

“Something is broken about the DMCA system. I don’t think I should have gotten away with a whole series. And, I don’t think Hasan should have been taken away with a false DMCA claim. Something’s broken here.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see the issue with DMCA. Of course re-streaming or playing copyrighted music or shows wouldn't be allowed. Its a legal nightmare for the site if they get sued.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:04 am Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
[url=/entertainment/disguised-toast-staged-twitch-ban-to-scare-anime-streamers-1739426/]"Disguised Toast reveals he staged Twitch ban to scare streamers from watching anime"[/url]

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see the issue with DMCA. Of course re-streaming or playing copyrighted music or shows wouldn't be allowed. Its a legal nightmare for the site if they get sued.

It's just that anytime the topic of copyright is even broached on this site, folks seem to come out of the woodwork to defend their version of copyright abuse. But yes, Twitch will have to come down hard, or at least be seen as coming down hard, on this practice else they will face a lengthy and costly legal battle they aren't even likely to win. Better for them to act to cut this off before it becomes something bigger, rather than hope it can just be swept under the rug by thinking random anime copyright holder won't know or care enough to make a stink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2