• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - We Never Asked for This

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:53 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:

That concept is not too far off from what we already have in the realm of gaming. Nintendo already does just that with Amiibos. You can use the same Amiibo to unlock different stuff in different games using the same one-time purchase. A CPU fighter in a Smash, a skin in Mario Kart, a few bonus items in Breath of the Wild and Three Houses. I never got into them myself, but I also heard Skylanders were basically that. You could use the exact same Skylander you bought in the first game through out the sequels and spin-offs.

I agree it sounds like mostly buzzwords and marketing, but the idea is promising and already out there. You get to level 20 World of Warcraft, you unlock a skin in Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Or even just the ability to trade Pokemon between games or unlock content in a game if you have a save file from the previous game in the series. I predict it'll mostly be limited to major companies who have an expansive library to take full advantage of the gimmick, but I'm interested to see how it goes. And in the realm where so many IPs are mingling in Fortnite, I wouldn't completely rule out cross-company promotions and integration being on the table. It sounds like the only main difference is being able to buy and sell these kinds of things on the player-end which I'd be pretty happy about since it would finally give players a bit of consumer power in our digital purchases.

That's...not even close to what Amiibo do. Amiibo can't actually transfer the exact same assets between games, that's genuinely impossible. The Amiibo just act like a key to unlock info and in certain can transfer data, but it has to be very specific.

And the reason NFC figures like Skylanders can transfer the same characters is because those are all the same series, based on already existing assets. Same thing with Pokemon. It's one thing for doing that within their own franchise, trying to do it between different series built on completely different assets and engines is impossible because that's not how game development works! Just making and coding assets for ONE game is incredibly difficult, somehow making it possible for that exact same asset to work in a completely different game in a completely different series is just ridiculous.

But again, that's not really what is being said. It's mostly just buzzwords trying to sell a stupid scheme that the general public has come to despise for many reasons. It's a go-nowhere fad, soon to collapse like Beanie Babies and all the other 90s speculator bubbles.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
) And then the corporate overlords are going to ask the developers to somehow implement “metaverse,” “blockchain,” and “NFT” into their games, to predictable and disastrous results.

At least in Square-Enix's case the developers themselves have expressed interest in NFTs. Yoshinori Kitase, Yosuke Naito, Noriyoshi Fujimoto, and Masashi Fujiwara have all had some interesting musings about them. Seems like a company wide interest than just one meddling CEO.
NapoleonDeCheese

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
No more physical events for anything ever, let's all stay locked forever looking at our screens. Hooray.

Sigh. This will never end.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:26 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Speaking of which,Troy Baker is the latest one to drink the NFT cool-aid...

It was amazing watching this article go up in the same hour his tweet went up oh my god. The reaction to it has been beautiful to behold. Like with Square Enix CEO's letter, just straight dunking on him for nearly 2 days straight so far. He sounded just as assheaded as the CEO did too. "You can hate, or you can create. Which will it be?" Goddamn.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:46 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
It was amazing watching this article go up in the same hour his tweet went up oh my god. The reaction to it has been beautiful to behold. Like with Square Enix CEO's letter, just straight dunking on him for nearly 2 days straight so far. He sounded just as assheaded as the CEO did too. "You can hate, or you can create. Which will it be?" Goddamn.

Not sure if bragging about harassing a VA is the best thing to take pride in. And I say this as someone who is not a fan of Troy Baker.

I can't help but feel like most of the hate for NFTs seem overblown or outright misguided, if not personal and vincdictive. Screaming about them destroying the environment isn't going to convince people who are not already against them to change their mind any more than a vegan yelling at someone that eating beef destroys the environment is going to suddenly convince them to eat bugs. Humans do not respond well to that kind of vitriol. NFTs inherantly are not bad, believe it or not. Do bad people use them to exploit people? Yes, but that can be said for many things. It's worth keeping in mind the obvious insider trading, money laundering, and art theft goin on is done by random people on Twitter who want to sell you tokens associated with randomly generate pictures of monkeys or pixel art. Something the average person would have no interest in. But big companies like Konami and Square-Enix should not be lumped in with them. Konami selling Castlevania NFTS is no different than them selling artwork or other collectables. If you don't find any value in it, then don't buy it. But if people are seriously going to associate Squeenix selling you a collectable Tifa NFT to FirstNameBunchanumbers on Twitter grabbing some stolen artwork off Deviantart to sell some tokens he made on his own private server then that seems like a comparison made in completely bad faith.

I'll go ahead and disclose that I have never bought or have any interest in buying NFTs before someone accuses me of being an "NFT bro". I'm just trying to inject some rationality into the discourse and ask you direct your hatred towards the scammers, not the technology. Konami and Square-Enix are probably not going to be stealing fan artwork or scamming people with insider trading. That's generally bad for a notable company to get caught doing compared to a guy in his basement running smurf crypto wallets.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Konami selling Castlevania NFTS is no different than them selling artwork or other collectables. If you don't find any value in it, then don't buy it.

No, the right comparison would be it's no different than them selling receipts of artwork or other collectibles.

Except you don't get ownership of those artworks or collectibles.

Except you can't sell those artworks or collectibles.

But, you have the receipt. That you do own. That you can sell.

Also, you don't get to keep those artworks or collectibles at your home. They're on a shelf behind glass in a far away place and your receipt is your key with which you can view them from home.

But, if the ones who sold you the receipt ever go bust, come crumbling down or stop honoring the receipt, there won't be any artwork or collectibles, there won't be any shelf.

But hey, you will still have that receipt, so it's worth it, right? Smile
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Screaming about them destroying the environment isn't going to convince people who are not already against them to change their mind any more than a vegan yelling at someone that eating beef destroys the environment is going to suddenly convince them to eat bugs. Humans do not respond well to that kind of vitriol. NFTs inherantly are not bad, believe it or not.

This seems contradictory. If it's destroying the environment, then it is inherently bad, isn't it? Poorly made technology is a thing that exists.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
Speaking of which,Troy Baker is the latest one to drink the NFT cool-aid...

Especially tonedeaf considering how so many people in the voiceover industry despise NFTs. The channel Baker was boosting in particular has been dunked on by VAs because it's made no illusion that it wants to automate voiceover. Just...holy crap, way to admit that you're selling out your peers.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Konami selling Castlevania NFTS is no different than them selling artwork or other collectables.
Well, yes. But Konami can already sell artwork or other collectables. Saying they're going to sell NFTs that add nothing to what they're already capable of would be like a car manufacturer saying "and now, before every car comes off the line, a witch doctor will shake a yew branch at it." It may theoretically not affect the consumer, but I'd suddenly become very suspicious about what's driving the decisionmaking at the manufacturer.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Well, yes. But Konami can already sell artwork or other collectables. Saying they're going to sell NFTs that add nothing to what they're already capable of would be like a car manufacturer saying "and now, before every car comes off the line, a witch doctor will shake a yew branch at it." It may theoretically not affect the consumer, but I'd suddenly become very suspicious about what's driving the decisionmaking at the manufacturer.

I would presume NFTs are aimed at people who like NFTs. I view them like I do Funko Pops or Dollfie dolls: I'm not into them, but there's obviously an audience who are, and that's why they get made. But to say a company should not make something just because I'm not interested in it seems like a selfish attitude.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
No, the right comparison would be it's no different than them selling receipts of artwork or other collectibles.

Except you don't get ownership of those artworks or collectibles.

Except you can't sell those artworks or collectibles.

But, you have the receipt. That you do own. That you can sell.

Also, you don't get to keep those artworks or collectibles at your home. They're on a shelf behind glass in a far away place and your receipt is your key with which you can view them from home.

But, if the ones who sold you the receipt ever go bust, come crumbling down or stop honoring the receipt, there won't be any artwork or collectibles, there won't be any shelf.

But hey, you will still have that receipt, so it's worth it, right? Smile

Not that I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I can't help but sit here appreciating the irony of people mocking other people how they don't actually own the NFT thing they're paying for while they also shame people into subbing to Crunchyroll and other streaming services at the mere mention of scalations and pirate sites. The huge concern over profiting off artist's artwork illegally by the same community where you can't go down one aisle at a local convention's artist ally without people selling their My Hero Academia or Attack on Titan fanart is also something not lost on me. Or maybe since we're talking about games it's more relevant to point to all the times Nintendo got dogged on for shutting down a fan game project or any other Japanese company shutting down streamers trying to profit off their games and were called backwards and restrictive for doing so.

I can only hope this new-found disdain for big corporations sticks around the next time the discussion of piracy pops up and the logic behind paying for paying for digital video games and tv shows you don't actually own is brought into question and people can sympathize more to those who don't like doing it. If NFTs can at least start that discussion, then I consider that a silver-lining in this whole thing.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:59 pm Reply with quote
If the NFT has in-game significance, you need permission from the operator of that game to use it. You don't "own" it any more than any other virtual thing. If the company says "yeah, no, we're not going to implement it," all you "own" is a receipt for nothing. It's completely identical to any other licensing system in terms of its relationship with the company.
vampiyan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:11 am Reply with quote
^^; Kind of interesting to see the whole divide between Japan and the west's feelings on NFTs. Never seen people act this harshly towards NFTs on the Japanese markets I browsed. They always seem to generate a lot of positivity and interest. Next week Tezuka Productions is going to auction off the Phoenix and Black Jack NFTs since the Tetsuwan Atom ones did so well a few weeks ago. Seems like JP companies and consumers are more open minded to the idea and I don't really see it slowing down anytime soon. Guess its one of those cultural difference things.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:52 am Reply with quote
I really doubt it. You'll find plenty of westerners going nuts over NFTs, too. No one here is the representative voice of "The West." Someone's buying all those monkeys.

But once selling literal nothingness becomes the profitable path for video game companies, those of us who like games are going to be SOL. You see the same thing with FTP models and mobile games. So unless you're posting on an NFT board, you're going to get pushback wherever you go.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:08 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Not that I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I can't help but sit here appreciating the irony of people mocking other people how they don't actually own the NFT thing they're paying for while they also shame people into subbing to Crunchyroll and other streaming services at the mere mention of scalations and pirate sites. The huge concern over profiting off artist's artwork illegally by the same community where you can't go down one aisle at a local convention's artist ally without people selling their My Hero Academia or Attack on Titan fanart is also something not lost on me. Or maybe since we're talking about games it's more relevant to point to all the times Nintendo got dogged on for shutting down a fan game project or any other Japanese company shutting down streamers trying to profit off their games and were called backwards and restrictive for doing so.

I can only hope this new-found disdain for big corporations sticks around the next time the discussion of piracy pops up and the logic behind paying for paying for digital video games and tv shows you don't actually own is brought into question and people can sympathize more to those who don't like doing it. If NFTs can at least start that discussion, then I consider that a silver-lining in this whole thing.

I don't really see how it's similar? In one case, you are paying for right to watch the show you are interested in, with part of that money going to creators in exchange, in the other case, you are paying for - well, for nothing. If it was just about supporting the artist, it would be one thing, but if they pretending you are actually getting something of a value, it becomes a scam, plus NFT are generally harmful for environment.
Imagine the IP enforcement gets stronger and you can no longer watch pirated shows, which isn't really that impossible in a future. In this case, watching legal stream still gives you something for your money, but NFT are as useless as they were before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3