• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Raises Subscription Prices in U.S., Canada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:08 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
lossthief wrote:
zrdb wrote:
And this is exactly why I never have and never will subscribe to any streaming service.

...because you have to pay money?
Oh boy I needed that laugh! Bravo lossthief.

I can't imagine buying every show or movie I want. I'd go broke within 2 weeks. You have to pick and choose.

Streaming is basically rental stores now but instead of costing $3-$7 for one title I can rent 1,000-10,000's of titles for $13-$21 a month with no late fees and gas money. You be very lucky to find 1-3 anime title where I lived in the late 80's to early 90's and you were stuck with those same ones for at least a year with questionable dubbing because there was no sub version because those where mostly bootleg tapes done by fans at the time around collage campuses. I would not trade those old days for anything but it's way better these days. If you told me I would have a good dub just weeks after it premiered I'd called you crazy. Trust me kids you may have problems but media selection ain't one of them. End of old anime fan rant.

Or choose option B: Piracy. That sounds crass, but price hikes are pushing people in that direction. This isn't the early 2000's where you just had to take what you can get, now anyone can get anything they want at light speed.

Or option C: Only subscribe when there is a show you want to watch. That's what I do with my Crunchyroll subscription and Disney+
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
zrdb wrote:
And this is exactly why I never have and never will subscribe to any streaming service.

Umm, because it got too expensive. It's cool that it doesn't bother you, but not many people are willing to pay this kind of money for a service that doesn't offer enough to sustain this kind of raise long term.

Seriously, the arrogant pasive-agressiveness on some people here Rolling Eyes
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 am Reply with quote
Netflix has been going down for ages. With the funiroll merger, sony has the majority of all anime. When disney broke ties with netflix, there went their marvel series. Disney can now make a ton of star wars and marvel shows in the grand universes and benefit off merchandise such as lego.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
lossthief wrote:
zrdb wrote:

Umm, because it got too expensive. It's cool that it doesn't bother you, but not many people are willing to pay this kind of money for a service that doesn't offer enough to sustain this kind of raise long term.

Seriously, the arrogant pasive-agressiveness on some people here Rolling Eyes

But this person wasn't talking about a specific streaming service. They said, quite plainly, that they would never use ANY streaming service, and pointed to netflix increasing their rates as the reason, despite the service being pretty reliably on the upper end in the market. I fully understand price increase potentially pricing people out but that's nit what zrdb was saying.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:14 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Or choose option B: Piracy. That sounds crass, but price hikes are pushing people in that direction. This isn't the early 2000's where you just had to take what you can get, now anyone can get anything they want at light speed.

Well, it's like Cult of Personality Leader Gabe Newell always said, "Piracy is almost always a pricing problem and almost never a service problem, because people love free stuff, and legitimate companies that have to follow the law can't actually compete with criminal cheaters who don't have to deal with the same operating costs and legal barriers."
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
[Streaming is basically rental stores now but instead of costing $3-$7 for one title I can rent 1,000-10,000's of titles for $13-$21 a month with no late fees and gas money..

The only problem is Netflix rarely has anything I wanna watch and just suggests a bunch of crappy Bollywood films. I don't think Netflix even has over 1,000 titles to choose from, just the same stuff, swapping out and trading the usual stuff with Amazon Prime every so often.

Yeah, I'll watch Groundhog Day on Amazon Prime... then a month or two later shows up on Netflix, watch it again.

Netflix is basically like having cable tv - hundreds of channels, but nothing on. Unless you wanna watch Seinfeld all day.
Risami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:22 am Reply with quote
Eh guess I'll just binge watch 1 stream service at a time.
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:28 am Reply with quote
The subscription model isn't feasible for most customers when so many businesses out there are trying to cash grab by changing their business to that without offering an alternative. It results in people being able to get less stuff overall. If it's not something someone uses regularly then things become expensive real fast. They can actually be more customer-friendly if they let people buy a single show to watch for a certain period of time on top of offering subscription but of course, they don't Rolling Eyes

Shame to the people being a dick to others not finding this as good a deal as they do.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:51 am Reply with quote
Ugh, it really annoys me how most business models nowadays aren't, "Are we making a profit?" but more like, "Are we making more profit than we were last year?" Which is not sustainable at all, especially for streaming services, considering, you know, there's a finite number of people in the world, so they'll have to keep raising prices year after year (which they do) at the detriment of everyone.

Not to mention Netflix's propensity to sink enormous amounts of money into shows with very little thought... Like, you do get the occasional gem -- and the rare interesting show that would've been rejected at traditional TV networks -- but more often than not you get forgettable one-offs or even outright terrible trash. I feel like Netflix needs an actual acquisitions + media production strategy because they sure as heck don't feel like they have one now.

Anyway, I'd honestly love to cancel Netflix, but it's still the only streaming service that 1) works internationally, especially in Taiwan, and 2) has subtitles in Chinese for many of their shows. (I actually ended up canceling Hulu over this, since it felt like a waste when my mom, who I share streaming services with, never used it since Chinese subtitles weren't available.)

I have heard of many streaming services trying to expand their reach overseas nowadays, though, so hopefully that comes to pass, and Netflix won't have some an iron grip over streaming entertainment, especially internationally, anymore.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:32 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Or mix and match between paying and pirating. The issue I have when this subject comes up isn't someone saying that they don't want to subscribe to multiple services, that is a waste of money, it's when they claim that paying for even a single service is a complete rip off. There is going to be at least one service that has enough stuff on it to justify you paying for a subscription.

it's not like there are no advantages to paying for a service. There are tons of devices that have these apps, so at any point you can sign in and watch whatever you want. My sister does a lot of travelling for work, sheep shearing, cow milking etc. And she just watches stuff on the Disney+ app on her phone, even when she is in the middle of nowhere.You can use other peoples services if you really don't want to pay, I use my friends Spotify, my sisters Disney+ and her boyfriends Netflix.

Piracy has downsides. You either have to download a torrent which takes time and might end up having graphically issues or you stream on some website that keeps loading pop-ups every time you click on anything and if you use a pop-up blocker the video won't work. And even if you find a good site, there is no guarantee the site will remain up.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 am Reply with quote
Honestly the way I handle my subscription with Netflix is redeem a certain amount of money on my account depending if there's anything truly worth watching within a month. I would either pay a month or 2 worth of money using gift cards and if there's nothing on, cancel my subscription until Im ready to get back on. Saved money this way every time.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Yeah but often times not always in good quality.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It seems like an easy solution to this would be for Netflix to offer a cheaper ad supported service to help pay for things.

Agreed. I don't see how it's any different from say, their subscriptions that are subsidized through phone plans. Which is actually the main reason I haven't unsubscribed yet, T-Mobile includes a discounted Netflix plan as a perk for its users.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
The price increases seem relatively modest to me (and I'm honestly surprised they've increased as slowly as they have, given overall US inflation). I'll probably keep subscribing the way I normally have, cycling Netflix out whenever other services' content offerings seem much more appealing to me, and then back into Netflix after it's eventually generated something new and worthwhile.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
Eh. Keeping Netflix. Just have to grimace and bare it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4