• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Raises Subscription Prices in U.S., Canada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
zrdb wrote:
And this is exactly why I never have and never will subscribe to any streaming service.

...because you have to pay money?

Because number of movies I would watch is too low for that amount of money. 99% movies I can watch in cinema.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, it's like Cult of Personality Leader Gabe Newell always said, "Piracy is almost always a pricing problem and almost never a service problem, because people love free stuff, and legitimate companies that have to follow the law can't actually compete ...

Yes they can! Netflix has a ton of series subscribers are no longer watching, they could open another streaming service that is ad-supported with all those old netflix sxclusive catalog series. It Tubi & Pluto can make a profit (and broadcast TV has done so for decades) so they can. The obvious question, do they want to make the effort or are they going only for low hanging fruit?
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Zalis116. Piracy is often motivated by price, or by those from countries where the content simply not available or out of price in the local currency. Anime fans also skew younger, which means less disposable income. I still think Netflix is a superior value compared to cable, but you cannot compete with free if money is tight. Netflix is my only current subscription outside of j-novel, and a CR subscription I get every a few years or so. I have the money, but I am just too cheap and don't really want to risk piracy when there is an unbelievable amount of free and legal content available. Things were much worse 10-15 years ago.

An ad supported Netflix for a reduced cost would be an interesting option, but I am not sure if it is as necessary as it is for CR and Funimation, who typically have more money conscious users. The fact is even with the increases it is still way cheaper for the consumer than what it was in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Cable and renting a la carte was far more expensive not even factoring in for inflation. Plus we have a lot more free alternate content, like Twitch and Youtube, which did not exist back then.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
I agree with Zalis116. Piracy is often motivated by price, or by those from countries where the content simply not available or out of price in the local currency. Anime fans also skew younger, which means less disposable income.

It is important to separate descriptive and normative arguments here, though. "Netflix increased their prices, so piracy will go up" is an argument about what will happen; it is not a moral justification for it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, it's like Cult of Personality Leader Gabe Newell always said, "Piracy is almost always a pricing problem and almost never a service problem, because people love free stuff, and legitimate companies that have to follow the law can't actually compete ...

Yes they can! Netflix has a ton of series subscribers are no longer watching, they could open another streaming service that is ad-supported with all those old netflix sxclusive catalog series. It Tubi & Pluto can make a profit (and broadcast TV has done so for decades) so they can. The obvious question, do they want to make the effort or are they going only for low hanging fruit?

Both Pluto and Tubi were losing money before they were acquired, and their current parent companies don’t break down their current revenues and profits. ViacomCBS does report average user numbers and growth for Pluto, but it’s revenue numbers are lumped in with the rest of its streaming portfolio of which Paramount+ makes up the bulk. Fox reports similarly for Tubi.

We don’t know how sustainable an ad driven streaming service is, and the only one known to truly profitable is YouTube, which also has paid subscription tiers. Broadcast networks also have more than just ad revenue as income sources. They also take in cash from affiliate fees and fees paid by cable operators to carry their content.

Netflix is raising their fees because their stock is ridiculously overvalued, especially as their growth has slowed significantly in recent years and competition has been heating up. They are pretty well saturated in their biggest markets and content is only getting more expensive. To keep their revenue growing and the stock performance up, they really have no choice. The company still has a sizable debt load to pay down as well.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Again? One of the reasons we ditched cable and went to streaming services is because of them pulling this exact **** all the time and now Streaming services are doing it too. Evil or Very Mad
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Only thing I dislike about netflix is they don't let you browse without paying and they keep asking me to come back but even £6 to see they got sweet FA I wana watch no thanks.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
It appears that Zalis116's reference went way over everyone's head.
phantom360

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Losing subscribers? It's okay we'll just raise the price for the current subs to make up for it. Good job Netflix
Artemis X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Quote:
Or choose option B: Piracy. That sounds crass, but price hikes are pushing people in that direction. This isn't the early 2000's where you just had to take what you can get, now anyone can get anything they want at light speed
. Piracy is an iffy topic but I'll just say I endorse it for stuff I can't get legally or is out of print and priced to high hell (like Urusei Yatsuri TV episodes). I agree that everything is becoming expensive for the average 1st world county citizen and this 7.0% increase inflation along with a pandemic is doing no one except the big wigs any favors. Having said that if you do come into some money in the future try to make up for it by buying the product you like/love. I think I've bought Elder Scrolls IV 3 times after I've pirated it 2 times in the past.

It’s no wonder people are compelled to use piracy as a means of obtaining what they want. Though I do have quite a vast collection of media, both in games, anime and films so can you really call someone that pirates "certain" rare media but also still supports many industries by purchasing what is more globally accessible? In that case would that be breaking the law? If you think about the negative conations of piracy, it’s because your allegedly downloading stuff for free well the company suffers because they are not getting any sort of return investment or funds. But what if you offset that by just downloading a few rare things that are either out of print or not being manufactured or not licensed any more but still support that company by purchasing stocks of regular merch, anime, video games, etc and media that you have in your home that is more globally accessible. that is the way I kind of look at it. Then can you really say you are breaking the law for that particular business or corporation.

Now people I can’t stand are people that go in and pirate just anything and everything, like they don’t have the income or are poor so there only means of acquiring even low-priced games is through pirating. I don’t approve of that. But if you are actively still purchasing merchandise from that business, well pirating a few “rare” things, then what is the harm in that case?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
Losing subscribers? It's okay we'll just raise the price for the current subs to make up for it. Good job Netflix

Raising prices to combat account sharing is another possibility. There's a lot of people like me who just log into their parent's Netflix account and bum off them whenever I need to use it. Although if I'm being 100% honest it's a lot more convenient for me to just download a show and watch video files locally than navigating Netflix's website for the one or two series I want to watch like Stone Ocean.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Netflix Canada has been very bad lately in terms of anime. They keep removing shows and add nothing good to replace them. My favourite list only has 4 anime left on it and one of them is hi score girl which isn’t going to get removed since it’s listed as Netflix original.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:43 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Streaming is basically rental stores now but instead of costing $3-$7 for one title I can rent 1,000-10,000's of titles for $13-$21 a month with no late fees and gas money.

I think about this anytime prices fluctuate and people start complaining. I remember my family renting movies and games like once a week throughout the 90's and early 00's; that stuff adds up pretty quickly. Current streaming is not ideal, it could definitely be better, and I personally haven't been using netflix as much as I used to(which, to be fair, is my sister's account that our whole family uses). However, in general, I think a lot of folks are pretty spoiled with the amount of material they have easy access to.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:13 am Reply with quote
A lot of anime on netflix is literally free on crunchyroll and funimation. Netflix will get it like years after airing and it will be free on funiroll anyways. If you are paying a yearly netflix subscription as your main source to watch anime, you are doing something wrong.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:33 am Reply with quote
My guess is netflix think they can get away with how much they increase subscriptions. A lot of families are unaware of other services like disney plus, so they are the under the assumption netflix still has everything. A lot of people admit they dont actually really watch netflix originals as they are busy pirating disney plus shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4