• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidjamouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This is one of the worst takes I've ever heard in something purporting to be a piece of games journalism. If you believe that games are inherently "disposable" and become "antiquated and awkward" in a handful of years, then you're either playing the wrong games, or you genuinely don't care about the medium as a whole. The very best games are every bit as timeless as the very best films, or songs, or novels, or paintings, or any other creative work.

I think you mistake me here. I overwhelmingly agree with you. I am simply discussing how the technology of creating games expands at such a rate that limitations and decisions based on the technical resources available upon release can because antiquated with time. Many of my favorite games are old. That does not makes them bad. The point of my saying this was to bring up my thoughts on the prevalence of remakes and remasters with the games industry, and to furthermore discuss what I expect from a well-made remake before going into how these games fail that process in just about every imaginable regard.

I hate to think that my thoughts on this game disturbed you so much.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
For the record I am very pro EXP share - it's the way EXP works in every modern RPG, and I see no reason for Pokemon to be any different. Also, level grinding new Pokemon in your party has always been the absolute worst part of every Pokemon game prior to the EXP share and I'm more than happy to not have to do it anymore.

That said, it completely breaks BDSP, because as far as I can tell, they didn't bother one bit to balance the game around it. The trainers and wild Pokemon are designed assuming you are only gaining one Pokemon's worth of EXP every fight, when you are getting almost 6x that.

I don't entirely disagree with the "this gives you the opportunity to play with tons of different Pokemon in one playthrough" argument, except that Diamond and Pearl, especially in the beginning, have a very small pool of Pokemon to choose from, and BDSP didn't change any of that in the name of staying "faithful". XY, SUMO and SWSH by comparison all had a much larger selection of Pokemon to play around with in the beginning.

Also really disappointed to hear about Super Contests, that's news to me since I've been playing pretty slowly and hadn't gotten to them yet. It makes me want to actually go back and play the original Diamond or Platinum instead, except I can't stomach the thought of going back to grinding without an EXP share at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
As someone that enjoyed Super Contests in the original, I was sad to see them changed and not for the better. That’s probably my biggest disappointment with the game, personally.

Raneth wrote:
Hearing about the change to Super Contests makes me very sad. I really enjoyed Super Contests in the original, and making a new "Show Pokemon" would have been a fun goal in the remake since the difficulty of everything else is so low. To hear that Super Contests are so radically changed (into a rhythm game of all things, really? I hate rhythm games) sealed the deal on my decision not to buy.

As someone who vaguely remembers Super Contests from the original platinum if we’re being honest they weren’t that fun.

Top Gun wrote:
In the same way, there are legions of Mario fans out there who will swear up and down that SMB 3 remains the greatest game in the entire franchise.

Find me a single person who heralds SMB3 as the best game in the Mario Bros. Series and I’ll show you countless instances of people pissing all over Super Mario Sunshine for not being Super Mario 64.

Top Gun wrote:
The recent "remaster" trend in the industry has in many respects been a negative one, as it often compels gamers to re-buy games they already own...

Not really if you’re repurchasing a game you already own that’s your decision not something you’re being made to fo.
vidjamouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:02 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The recent "remaster" trend in the industry has in many respects been a negative one, as it often compels gamers to re-buy games they already own...and it becomes flat-out destructive when the original versions of said games are usually removed from storefronts. It's an active erasure of the medium's history.

What follows is a list of remakes/remasters that I find to be of high quality and in large part preferable to their original releases.

Spyro Reignited
The Resident Evil I Remake for GameCube (and its re-releases on current-gen consoles)
Windwaker HD
The Uncharted Collection Remasters
Link to the Past (on Nintendo Switch)
Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time on 3DS
Resident Evil II Remake

These are a handful of my favorites. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

The original versions of games are often removed from storefronts when the consoles they were released upon become outdated. These physical games and the consoles they reside upon often become collector's items (unless publishers decide to emulate them digitally *glares at Nintendo*). The process of older matieral becoming more valuable to a more niche group of fans in common within many of the popular arts. This happens in film, comics, clothing, and music. Remastering art is not the death of art.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Keep it friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:41 am Reply with quote
Having gotten the game as a gift for Christmas, I'd say the game, is pretty mid if not mediocore and that's pretty much doubly true if we're just talking by the standards of a pokemon game. I love being able to have exp share as a basic concept and I love being able to have a pokemon walk out alongside me (though the fact that they leave no footprints is weird) but like a lot of people I found myself having to rotate my team by force in order to have something even remotely close to a challenge until the elite 4 and especially Cynthia (it took me like 5 or 6 tries til I manage to pull out a win) I was pretty livid that one of my favorite gens got done so utterly dirty, especially when I know good and well that they're probably gonna pull out all the goddamn stops for gen 5 (and if they don't and it's just like this I'm absolutely going to be that asshole and laugh)

Intriguing as legends arceus is, BDSP is basically a massive highlight of all of pokemon's worst traits wrapped up into one. While I didn't especially hate swsh I did think that ALOT needed to be reworked with it to be something really great, and while I have the confidence that Pokemon can put out something great, the question is will they, and how often? Much as I love the concept of the overall series it really has gotten too big for it's own good and without some ways to really let the people making these games properly breathe so they can do something beyond the bare minimum cause something has to come out dang near each year. I know Game Freak didn't actually do this game so who knows maybe this will wind up being the sacrifice needed to get something really rad but it's really sad and depressing we even had to be in this spot at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2