• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Kakegurui×× Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Sentai should just release these Netflix shows sub-only to avoid the backlash (and expense) stemming from creating new dubs. That way, those who value the shows themselves (JP cast, art, animation, music, story, etc.) can get a home video release to collect, and those who just value the Netflix dubs can keep watching on Netflix without having to contend with that dub cast being replaced.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:33 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Hence why I said "it is what it is." I'm never going to get irrationally angry at a company when I don't fully understand the situation behind the scenes (and frankly, its not even close to the biggest thing to be upset about when it comes to the anime community). But at the same time as a consumer, I'm not going to support it.
I apologise, I was using your comment as a jumping off point for how this has been reacted to in general, not you directly. I should have known that wasn't obvious. Because I have seen plenty of people generally outraged by this.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Maybe Sentai should just release these Netflix shows sub-only to avoid the backlash (and expense) stemming from creating new dubs. That way, those who value the shows themselves (JP cast, art, animation, music, story, etc.) can get a home video release to collect, and those who just value the Netflix dubs can keep watching on Netflix without having to contend with that dub cast being replaced.

I agree 100%
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:50 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
But Netflix does have some really great dubs on their platform that I would hate to be scrapped (like NYAV Post's Great Pretender). And it's just overall a pretty shitty situation for fans that enjoyed these dubs, whichever show it might be.

I don't understand this opinion because nothing has happened to the original dub. They're as accessible as they always have been. We've yet to encounter a situation where Sentai's redubs mean the original dub was pulled from the market. You have to buy a physical disc to watch Sentai's version of these shows, whereas you can just load up Netflix to find the original. If anything, their dubs are the ones that are most likely to be forgotten and left unfinished.

Sure, there probably will be a time when Netflix's license to these shows expires. However, assuming physical media is still a thing by then, wouldn't that just open the door to a new release with both dubs? Even if physical media is gone (or the show is too niche to warrant a new disc), piracy exists. Netflix has replaced the original dub of AICO. That doesn't mean it's vanished off the face of the earth.

I'm not saying people should buy releases of things that lack the material they want. I'm just not sure why people get so mad at Sentai's actions. Little Witch Academia has been a Netflix exclusive for how many years now? Would it be better if every show was tied exclusively to a streaming service until their commercial appeal has completely dissipated?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

I'm not saying people should buy releases of things that lack the material they want. I'm just not sure why people get so mad at Sentai's actions. Little Witch Academia has been a Netflix exclusive for how many years now? Would it be better if every show was tied exclusively to a streaming service until their commercial appeal has completely dissipated?

I have to agree at the confusion over the anger shown to Sentai. I mean seriously folks, this is a business. If it costs more for them to license the Netflix dub than to do it in house of course they're going to go in house. The only exception might be for truly iconic titles. Kakegurui is not one of those. Even truly iconic titles don't always get that preferential treatment. The whole purpose of Sentai doing this is to make the title available on physical media. They want to make as much profit as they can obviously. So once again, the cost of the dub has to factor into this decision.

Plus, as pointed out it's not as if the Netflix dub is going to disappear. Honestly, Netflix "exclusive" titles (as in the netflix original anime moniker) might have one of the safest options for a dub staying around. If it's a "netflix original" then they are the right's holders here for distribution. They're hardly going to pull their own product from their own streaming service. A title licensed elsewhere that they subsequently do a dub for would not be as safe of a bet in my mind. Even if they were to lose the rights for one of their own anime titles it would take years. So at the very least you have several years to enjoy their dub via their service. Who knows what physical media will look like in a few years at this rate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2