• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Photographer Arrested in Japan for Allegedly Drugging, Assaulting 6 Cosplayers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasureta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
It's a million times more relevant than all the COVID coverage, but no-one complains about that.

Actually... this is the only place I visit that provides concise COVID coverage into Japan. Instead of watching a YouTuber drone on and on and on... I just get complete coverage here in a couple of paragraphs (i.e. a quick read). I use it to raise (or lower) my expectations for my next trip to Japan.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Wasureta wrote:
Actually... this is the only place I visit that provides concise COVID coverage into Japan.

Yeah, ANN is a really good source for this kind of stuff. Clearly the complainer is troll if you know their past comments as well.

Quote:
The police began their investigation after one of the suspect's victims came forward to the police in spring last year. The police stated that the suspect had assaulted at least six girls and women in their teens and 20s (including high school-aged girls) between February 11, 2020 and July 8, 2021.

This is why under reporting is a real thing in rape and sexual assaults. What if this one victim didn't report it like all others? This guy would still be out there doing the same thing over and over again like he has thus far.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
'Quasi-rape' sounds like some kind of weird caricature. Does it sound as off-puttingly ridiculous in Japanese? To be a fly on the wall in backroom legislative conversations about updating that law.

The term in the Japanese article is 準強制わいせつ which definitely sounds less weird.

Waisetsu is an act of indecency, seemingly used for sexual assault that stops short of rape (molestation, etc.) Kyosei is forced, so forced sexual assault. Jun is a diminishing prefix. So a more accurate translation would be quasi-forced sexual assault. I would assume physical force is required to remove the jun.

Both this term and the similar 準強姦罪 (seemingly used when an actual rape takes place) seem to be specifically used in cases where the girl is too drunk or drugged to resist.

(This is all based on some quick googling and knowledge of Japanese, not actual legal experience.)
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The complaints of this or industry-related COVID coverage being "off-topic" are very strange. Thie may be Anime News Network, but the site's coverage has never been strictly "anime and literally anime only." Cosplay and fandom-related news include criminal cases like this, in which someone uses a fandom-adjacent space in order to predate.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This type of high profile criminal activity is relevant to fandom spaces because that is how it takes place in the first place. It's hard to imagine how it isn't to be honest. And ANN can cover whatever they want, if you don't care you can just not read it and leave it for people who do?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ANN is also probably one of the most widely read sources by people who regularly attend conventions and/or cosplay, I'd think, yeah? In which case, like.. wouldn't you want them to try to make people aware of this sort of thing? It seems like a pretty basic community safety issue, even disregarding that it is newsworthy and "anime adjacent".
Dumas1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
My two cents: ANN has covered the health of voice actors, directors, manga artists, and other industry figures for years. Vocal cord polyps, cancer, various chronic conditions, anything that could affect their work or even put a series on hiatus. Covid is just a particularly infectious disease that an awful lot of people are catching right now.

As for the article itself, I hope the man gets put away for a good long time.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Cosplay is DIRECTLY DERIVED from anime so yeah, its relevant.

Cosplay does not equal consent is also a movement which gained momentum in the last few years in the convention community, which also makes it relevant.

Also, you know you can just not read an article that doesn't interest you right? I don't read a lot of articles. But I don't complain about the ones that I don't read because I DON'T CARE and it's a waste of energy. In fact, no one cares if you don't care!
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
I feel bad for the victims so I don't mean to sound like I'm blaming them or anything, but how does stuff like that even happen?
[...]
It's so strange to me that women would fall for this stuff with a rando. It's still not the victim's faults or anything, but it's amazing to me that any man would attempt this and get away with it even once.

From the context in the article, he deliberately targetted vulnerable girls in back alleys and such. Aka. the types of girls who might be naive and/or inexperienced with approaches like his. And he may have invited many more, but clearly, the only girls who would actually go with him were also naive and/or inexperienced. Japanese people tend not to bring attention on themselves, so I can see him getting away with asking around at the very least.

I have had the extreme luck to not have ever been sexually assaulted at any time in my life, but several of my friends have and none of them have reported it due to shame, fear, guilt, stigma, etc. I was actually mugged in my car last week because I left it unlocked after getting in, and if there's anything I learned from that experience (aside from locking my car doors when I'm in the car from now on), it's that I did not act like I thought I would act in that kind of situation.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

It is disingenuous to call criminal rapist a photographer. He clearly is criminal impersonating photographer to pick up victims.

A criminal can be both a rapist and a photographer. Harping about the usage of the word photographer as a descriptive, is just beyond petty and goes into the land of stupid.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
Zimmer wrote:
evan77 wrote:
Ok, this is a terrible crime, but I can't understand what this news has to do with anime and manga?
Cosplay has nothing to do with anime and manga, and people cosplay with characters from Western movies and cartoons.
I'm here for the latest anime news, not rape news in Japan
There are enough websites for news about rape and crimes
I get where you're coming from. With these kind of things when they involve say voice actors or manga artists, there's a clear connection. This seems a bit too tangential.

It's well within the anime manga culture that's why. Be like complaining about ANN talking about comiket statistics/cancelations because it's not officially within the industry outside of the corpo booths but it's still well within the otaku culture.
Don't wanna read it? Then just don't. I ignore all the articles about seiyuu getting COVID and don't go moaning about it in the comments.
Only reinforcing my point, big names vs a nobody.

And to all the "just don't read it" types, how was I meant to know just how relevant it was without reading it? Yeah, I'm sure it's real tough avoiding all those "X gets Covid" articles when everything you need to know is right there in the title.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:

And to all the "just don't read it" types, how was I meant to know just how relevant it was without reading it?

It's a 3 paragraph article. It's not even 200 words. Why are you so bent out of shape about this?
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:59 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zimmer"][quote="Amiantos"][quote="Zimmer"]
evan77 wrote:

And to all the "just don't read it" types, how was I meant to know just how relevant it was without reading it? Yeah, I'm sure it's real tough avoiding all those "X gets Covid" articles when everything you need to know is right there in the title.

The title is pretty specific. What more could they have put in the title that would have let you know if it was ‘relevant’ or not?

I appreciate these types of articles on ANN. I hope that scumbag gets what he deserves. Horrible how long he got away for it for.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Zimmer wrote:

And to all the "just don't read it" types, how was I meant to know just how relevant it was without reading it?

It's a 3 paragraph article. It's not even 200 words. Why are you so bent out of shape about this?
Just defending my point when others throw the "lol you're mad" card as a refute, like you're doing.

Don't worry, mods. I know there's nothing more to be gained by continuing, so I won't bother.
livin_large

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
The term in the Japanese article is 準強制わいせつ which definitely sounds less weird.

Waisetsu is an act of indecency, seemingly used for sexual assault that stops short of rape (molestation, etc.) Kyosei is forced, so forced sexual assault. Jun is a diminishing prefix. So a more accurate translation would be quasi-forced sexual assault. I would assume physical force is required to remove the jun.

Both this term and the similar 準強姦罪 (seemingly used when an actual rape takes place) seem to be specifically used in cases where the girl is too drunk or drugged to resist.

(This is all based on some quick googling and knowledge of Japanese, not actual legal experience.)

It's not really any different in America Sexual battery, sexual assault, and rape are all 3 different and specifically defined things, even though the average person uses those terms interchangeably . To make it even more confusing, it's done at the state level, so that distinction varies from state to state.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4