• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda Requested One Piece Film Red To Give "Important Role to a Female Charact

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZephyrVayu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
So an article only has to mention the word "women" and the comments section descends into political discourse? smh

I have total faith in Oda's judgment and ability to continue making both the manga and the movies as great and consistent as they've always been, and to create and write amazing characters, regardless of gender.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Would be curious to hear more about Oda's reasoning; it's hard to judge what he's thinking just from the brief sound-byte-like quote. But also am kind of even more curious about this:

ANN Piece wrote:
As for the request to give a female character an important role, Shimizu stated that it was difficult to write the script while taking that into account.

I .. what? Why would it be difficult to write the script while giving a female character an important role? It feels like Oda said "My only demand is that you make a character eat a sandwich at some point in this movie-length work" and the director responded, "Well, that is quite the binding constraint and a very difficult ask, as I'm sure you're aware, but I as a talented person willing to invest myself fully, will see this through to your satisfaction and live up to your deepest sandwich spirits, Oda-sensei."
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:25 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I'm way more interested in why he requested a different director. Was he just looking for a different approach to this movie?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2