• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Delicious Party Precure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I really glad Kokone has someone similar to her in Amane now. They're both definitely my favorite characters now. Also lol at them trying to defeat an ubazo just by punching and kicking it a bunch
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
I need to comment how the last scene where the shop was bustling and then transitions to it being empty with just the owner really hits in the heart. It's simple, but dang-it, it's effective!
Regalli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The new ED sequence is GORGEOUS, and putting them on a table is a nice touch. (Also even though they only do the in-a-circle arrangement towards the end the framing still feels fairly circular without being disoriented.) Definitely ranks highly in my favorite Precure EDs.

Seconding that final transition being so effective and lovely. I also like that they are handling loss via something more comparatively minor - it’s gentler for a formulaic kids show, but it’s nice to see that handling of ‘sometimes things change and it’s sad, but it’s okay’ earlier than the standard finale where the residents of the magical kingdom go home. (Though I am still hoping we get a ‘the magic stays around, but the girls are moving onto bigger things now that the villain’s been defeated’ ending again in the next few seasons. I like the tearjerking farewells, but I do also enjoy the occasional sense that the adventure CAN continue.)

Also, Yui getting trapped inside the icemaker and Mari trying to stop it got surprisingly perilous for all that we didn’t see it. (Where were Kokone’s shields?)
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
The new ED sequence is GORGEOUS, and putting them on a table is a nice touch. (Also even though they only do the in-a-circle arrangement towards the end the framing still feels fairly circular without being disoriented.) Definitely ranks highly in my favorite Precure EDs.

I absolutely love this ED, and the song! It's so sweet and feels like a Disney song.

I've heard that the second EDs hint at the next PreCure's theme. Judging from the arch and flowers, maybe a wedding theme next time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:57 am Reply with quote
Love that we're actually getting some amount of friction between team members in this show. First it was Kokone and Ran, now Ran and Amane. Obviously it doesn't go very far, but it's enough that the show demonstrates them working through disagreements or misunderstandings with one another. That was something that made Yes5 work so well, but I feel has been missing from Precure since like Doki (barring a really mediocre episode of ST where Elena and Madoka mildly argued for an incredibly flimsy reason).
moony_badger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the show is going to handle Narcistoru's eventual departure? This is my first Pretty Cure show, so I'm generally unfamiliar with how they handle killing/banishing antagonists like him. Amane was set up pretty early as being mind controlled, so it was easy to see how she was going to end up but I'm not sure about this guy. These Cures don't seem to have a built in "banishment attack", but it also seems a little cold by the show's standards to vaporize him with frosting. Maybe he'll also be mind controlled, perhaps a lost knight of the Cookingdom? Mari did bring up that they'd been betrayed in the past, though it was left ambiguous as to whether or not that was Takumi's dad.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:45 am Reply with quote
Spiritoru turns food into LEGOs. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:14 am Reply with quote
I didn't think this episode was about forcing anyone to eat green peppers. I remember them saying that Kokone didn't have to, she clearly wanted to try to like them.

For the record, I thought broccoli was "meh" as a kid until I tried it cooked in a way I loved.
Regalli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Moonybadger wrote:
I wonder how the show is going to handle Narcistoru's eventual departure? This is my first Pretty Cure show, so I'm generally unfamiliar with how they handle killing/banishing antagonists like him. Amane was set up pretty early as being mind controlled, so it was easy to see how she was going to end up but I'm not sure about this guy. These Cures don't seem to have a built in "banishment attack", but it also seems a little cold by the show's standards to vaporize him with frosting. Maybe he'll also be mind controlled, perhaps a lost knight of the Cookingdom? Mari did bring up that they'd been betrayed in the past, though it was left ambiguous as to whether or not that was Takumi's dad.

While by no means universal (the season I came in on destroyed all its mid-bosses outright and frankly, it was well-deserved and awesome,) Precure often does redemption arcs for its villains - sometimes they’ve been under mind control or corrupted, but it’s also relatively common for the minibosses to decide for themselves that they don’t want to be evil anymore. Maybe they were being manipulated, maybe they grew up in a dystopia where working for Evil Corp. was just the thing you did (two different ex-villain midseason Cures have this specific backstory, oddly enough,) or maybe they’ve just come around to the Cures’ way of thinking after getting their butts kicked repeatedly, reasons vary. The overall season Big Bads are more likely to be sealed or destroyed outright, if I remember correctly, but even then you’ll still get the occasional purified or redeemed one. Given the lower stakes of this season and the increasing dorkiness of the Bundoru Gang week-to-week, I’ve been placing my bet on them getting redemption arcs where they realize that enjoying food and having friends to enjoy it with is actually pretty great. Not sure if they’ll do it for/around the finale or gradually across the season - I know past seasons HAVE done the latter but haven’t seen one in full to know the pacing. Presumably that’ll be clearer once the second group attack shows up.

But yeah, I’m leaning ‘he will be neither killed nor banished, and may or may not need to take another sparkly laser to the face first, but will eventually realize the joy of food must be shared.’
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 31 was pure, sweet, kirakira sparkling perfection.
Sooo nice to see the Pretty Cures simply helping others! And I adore Princess Maira.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring some last episode epilogues, I'm trying to remember if there were ANY Precure episodes where the main bad guys or the monster-of-the-week were not involved at all. We actually have an episode where have someone transform into a Precure and take out human enemies.
TAnthonyAuld

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Kasai Amane had become one of the most relatable character of this season and I enjoyed watching her struggle with her emotions and the growth that came after accepting that her actions are not her fault, but feels the need to make things right.

... I still wanted her to punch Narcistoru in his smug face though! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Regalli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
This is now the second season in the last three years where we have a recurring villain whose backstory includes personally, deeply wronging one of the Cures, said Cure struggling and feeling bad that they can't forgive this jerk, and someone else saying "no, you're not obligated to, you can be just as pure and just while still holding a grudge." Which, given it's a franchise that tends to lean pretty hard on redemption, is really nice! Narcistoru treated Amane terribly, both as Gentlu and in his complete refusal to acknowledge Amane as anything else once she broke free. Her still resenting him for that is perfectly natural. It doesn't have quite the kick for me that spoiler[Nodoka's final showdown with Daruizen did in Healin' Good,] but few things will between the exemplary production values on that fight as part of the finale and the fact that, obviously, we have not seen the last of Narcistoru. Looking forward to Amane telling him to call her FINALE, dang it, when we do get a showdown like that.

spoiler[I also appreciated that Nodoka got told "You don't owe this living embodiment of the chronic illness that ate your life jack squat" by a cute little pink bunny rabbit, the comedic potential there is unmatched... plus, as someone who also has a chronic illness eating her life, that does add some extra oomph for me that Nodoka's being told "no, you don't have to jeopardize your health because of what anyone tells you," even if the intended metaphor is probably meant to be more about toxic relationships and bodily autonomy in the more traditional sense. Still, a lot of chronically ill and disabled people DO get pressured to push ourselves harder and present less disabled to fit in with able-bodied people (such as pressure for ambulatory wheelchair users to not use their mobility aids, or friends who get tired that the chronically ill person is in fact, still ill, that's what chronic means), so yeah, even if it wasn't the intent and even if it's more of a stretch, metaphor accidentally hit that season's theme even harder and I love it.] Digression about another season aside!

The dynamic here is also clearly toxic and also clearly involves a non-romantic violation of Amane's autonomy (this time mentally.) And seriously, I do appreciate that no matter where Narcistoru's story goes from here, whether the other Cures pity him a bit for being unable to enjoy food or not, and even whether Amane can find it in herself to pity him or not, Mari's clear: This doesn't mean you actually have to FORGIVE him. Hating someone who wronged you is perfectly natural. In a franchise where we've previously had things like "Yes, she turned every other resident of your entire planet to stone and stole your civilization's treasures to sell so she could fund her evil research, but you disguised yourself to infiltrate the organization she joined with and she was hurt when she realized you were a spy, and these two things are equivalently bad so you should apologize," it's nice to see our heroic characters say "No, you can totally hate someone who's been cruel to you and still be a good person. You can choose not to help someone because it'd hurt yourself. Hell, you can choose not to help someone just because they suck and have given you no reason other than 'I am hurting' why you should. 'I don't want to help you' is reason enough." We're clearly still getting villainous redemptions - after all, Amane is, and I wouldn't be shocked if at least one remaining Bundoru Gang member eventually turns towards the side of sharing food with friends - but that doesn't mean Narcistoru will, or that any redemption he might have needs to be anywhere near Amane.

(Like I said, that arc's clearly not over. There's clearly some setup where the Cures are shocked he can't enjoy food, Mari is maybe realizing that 'oh if he's sensitive in a way where he can't eat hot food no WONDER he feels isolated,' and Secretoru's remarked on his pickiness and lack of good food memories too, but by now I can see that going either towards redemption where he DOES find a food he can enjoy with other people and work towards making amends in CooKingdom, or him doubling down and going EVILLER when he inevitably escapes. Either way I suspect there's going to be at least one more fight scene where Amane gets to tell him off. Or at least, I would like that very much.)
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The cameo appearances are the least interesting piece of this episode, and they honestly don't do much to develop Ran's character

So the person who reviewed the episode just zoned out at the end uh? Them telling her "eccentric doesn't mean weird, it makes you unique" literally ended her arc.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it becomes clear that most of his issues stem from being told how he was supposed to eat

Another strange review this week, because this isn't said. The actual theme of the show is gratitude if you read any interview about it (always frustrating seeing people calling it food themed when that's really the sub and visual theme), and it's very clearly what the whole season is about. So that scene was further justifying that by showing Narcistoru enjoying an apple given to him as a gift for his help, more so than any made up notion about his eating habits that weren't said in the show.
Furthermore
Quote:
So it's not so much that Narcistoru inherently despised the idea of food and eating it, it was more that he never learned or was allowed to learn how good it could be.

This is just made up as well, we saw him at a party looking at food with disappointment. He had every chance but refused. A recent article in a magazine said "Narcistoru is meant to be representation of someone who carried their picky eating regarding food throughout their childhood into adulthood", so no, that's wrong. If he hated eating or disliked the idea of eating he would simply be dead.
The only other food he talked about disliking was bell peppers, like a child, and he talked about wanting a Spanish dessert in the episode about the crepes, like a child.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9