• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenji Kamiyama's The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Film Opens in April 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDogHirokiDC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:21 am Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
True enough although personally I enjoyed it. I know two Batman fans, one who hated it and one who loved ir. The one who loved it watches a ton of anime like I do, the one who hated it doesn't. I mean it's hard to like why people like or dislike things, but to this day there are plenty of Marvel and DC fans that if you say anime to them they will cringe in a corner.

Examples aside, I still think productions like this where Japan is writing, directing, doing pretty much everything are better than say the Marvel anime shows Blade, Wolverine, Iron Man and X-Men. Those are made by Warren Ellis handing Japan a script. I just think that they all would be better if Japan did everything from the ground up.

I mean Warren Ellis also writing the Castlevania series kind of proves this, even though it was made by Powerhouse. You have a team all working together in tandem from day one. You get a product than someone passing a torch to another country.

ALL of the Marvel anime were written, produced, directed and scripted in Japan. The BS myth that Warren Ellis or an American team had any involvement in the Marvel anime needs to die. That was completely on Madhouse. Also, Gotham Knight isn't an anime at all. It's an American animation that is "anime influenced". It was produced in the United States, it was scripted in the United States.

Furthermore, if co-productions are harmful, then by your stance, Ghost in the Shell 1995 was problematic. It's a British-Japanese film after all. Stand Alone Complex was problematic. It was produced by an American subsidiary of Bandai as well as the same British Manga Entertainment that owns the copyrights to the 1995 film.

Here are my sources that debunk the Warren Ellis/America "heavy involvement" myth.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101212162216/http://c21media.net/resources/detail.asp?area=79&article=56347

https://www.superherohype.com/news/104731-sdcc-g4-announces-new-marvel-anime-series

Also, no, "guided"=/=heavy involvement or by your logic, Dragon Ball GT and most anime exclusive content of Dragon Ball had "interference and script writing" from Akira Toriyama. That would also undermine your "Batman Ninja had no American interference logic" since the same thing that occurred with the Marvel anime occurred with Batman Ninja
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29 am Reply with quote
Please be reminded to stay on the topic from here on: LOTR and Kenji Kamiyama~!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:45 pm Reply with quote
What hasn´t Kenji Kamiyama directed at this point? His career is insane.

The rights to make The Rings of Power cost Amazon 250 million. Only the rights! S1 will cost at least 150 million and they have a 5 season commitment. We´ll see. 150/8 eps equals a budget of 18.75 million per episode. So let´s say 20. There have been more costly episodes of TV: https://screenrant.com/most-expensive-tv-shows-ever-made/
So you now know why the show "only" looks like an MCU show and Mando likely costs more per minute than TRoP if those are about 90 min in length on average. At least the first 2 will be. Filming for S2 starts a few months before S1 debuts.

This on the other hand is a Warner Bros production (with New Line Cinema) and WB is currently tightening the belt. Even The Batman has a noticeably reduced budget. Who knows how the new leader who takes office in 3 months will see things. Lego Batman and Tom & Jerry cost 80 million for example. Lego Movie 2 cost 100 million. Something like that will be the budget ceiling. Princess Kaguya cost "only" half as much. A new budget record for anime will most likely be reached but it´s made for the west.
The much costlier Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is then a good comparison point. (RIP SquareSoft.) A budget of 228 million in today´s money! Does Hawaiian animation count as anime? Hm. LotR will be in "2D" so at least that anime budget record is secure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Given Kenji Kamiyama's trend to doing CGI anime shows in recent years, I'm not all that surprised the new LOTR anime is going to be CGI too. I hope this is a successful so that he can finish the second season of GITS SAC 2045 if doing this movie will help fund his other projects.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:15 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:

Examples aside, I still think productions like this where Japan is writing, directing, doing pretty much everything are better than say the Marvel anime shows Blade, Wolverine, Iron Man and X-Men. Those are made by Warren Ellis handing Japan a script. I just think that they all would be better if Japan did everything from the ground up.

It is too bad that Rankin-Bass did not turn over everything to TopCraft* (especially the character designs which ended up being horrible) for the 1977 The Hobbit** animated television movie. Just watch Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind to see what better result could have been achieved.

*Many of whose members went on to eventually be part of Studio Ghibli.
**I made it only as far as the first commercial break on the original broadcast, and have not gone back due to how cringe-worthy I found it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:12 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3