• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cover Corp. Announces Termination of VTuber Uruha Rushia's Contract

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deiser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they were defending Rushia until the week they fired her, plus the fact that they are outright unpersoning her despite the financial damage they’re doing to themselves shows that there’s wayyyy more going on behind the scenes than what we know. Yes it probably involves what she sent to the drama youtuber, but the fact that they went on record saying she was distributing false info - notably not saying any of the info given to the drama youtuber was false - is what raises my eyebrows a bit. She probably did something else that’s a massive problem but they are keeping it hidden for the sake of whoever was slandered. From what I’ve personally seen, the only time a celebrity gets unpersoned is if they did something that is criminal (like the ALI drummer) or something that is borderline to it, so we shouldn’t just assume that management screwed up here. She was obviously doing stuff behind their backs, and you can’t manage what you don’t know about.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't understand these headlines about VTubers. Are they really talking about the characters themselves or their voice actors? Or the person/people who created the character?

Please, no replies that aren't genuine answers to the question. I'm genuinely confused and just want to know what's going on, if this is part of a storyline involving the characters or if this really has to do with the creative team behind them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I honestly don't understand these headlines about VTubers. Are they really talking about the characters themselves or their voice actors? Or the person/people who created the character?

Please, no replies that aren't genuine answers to the question. I'm genuinely confused and just want to know what's going on, if this is part of a storyline involving the characters or if this really has to do with the creative team behind them.

This is to do with the person (you called them voice actors but I guess they're more like actors) behind the character. That person has been fired, and thus their character has been "terminated".
It's sort like saying you're the CEO of a business. the CEO is the role (character) but there's a person (actor/voice actor, whatever) behind it. If that makes sense?

In this case the person who plays Rushia apparently did some really dodgy stuff and has been fired.

It's a little confusing to get ones head around because of how the VTubers are really more personas then persons, but ultimately character and person are tightly linked. If you bully a character you're bullying the person behind it and vice versa.

I hope this helps at all?

--

For my part I think Rushia must have really done some bad things for Cover to go this far. Like, she makes cover craploads of money and there was lots of merch of her lined up, so they're losing a lot of money by terminating her. It clearly goes beyond her simply maybe having a boyfriend (though that may not have helped, idk).

Last edited by harminia on Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

In this case, its about the actor behind the character.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks harminia and NormanS! That was really helpful!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
She gets harrassed,
Management promise to take action,
She's fired.
Great job guys
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Yeah, this isn't a storyline. As harminia said, the issue is that the livestreamer behind Rushia apparently spilled company secrets to outsiders and broke NDA, so she's been fired. The Rushia character is being retired completely, her merchandise is being scrapped and refunded, and her Youtube and Twitter accounts are being shut down at the end of March.

As a brief explanation of Vtubers, they're basically just livestreamers who use face-rigged anime avatars as an alternative to face cams. There's always some kind of established lore behind them (Rushia, for instance, was said to be a necromancer) but other than occasionally paying it lip service it has no effect on their day-to-day operations.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Yeah, this isn't a storyline. As harminia said, the issue is that the livestreamer behind Rushia apparently spilled company secrets to outsiders and broke NDA, so she's been fired. The Rushia character is being retired completely, her merchandise is being scrapped and refunded, and her Youtube and Twitter accounts are being shut down at the end of March.

As a brief explanation of Vtubers, they're basically just livestreamers who use face-rigged anime avatars as an alternative to face cams. There's always some kind of established lore behind them (Rushia, for instance, was said to be a necromancer) but other than occasionally paying it lip service it has no effect on their day-to-day operations.

I love how folks keep saying she did all this and never show anything but a vague she talked to a damatuber point like also remember that her numbers were likely to tank with the drama stuff happening or at least an idol company like cover would think so
Red_0.1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
She gets harrassed,
Management promise to take action,
She's fired.
Great job guys

Eh, there's a lot more going on in this story. Majority of Rushia and Mafumafu fan are fine with them going out. Management did try to soften the blow of her scandal by giving her a vacation where she just stay silent on SNS for a little while. But her being a bit mentally unstable try to take thing on her own led to her downfall.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
[
I love how folks keep saying she did all this and never show anything but a vague she talked to a damatuber point like also remember that her numbers were likely to tank with the drama stuff happening or at least an idol company like cover would think so

Eh, after the first korekore video, most of her highest superchatters were more or less returned to her. She might lose some of her smaller paying ones, but her diehard highest paying ones are still with her. Those people are already too far gone to leave her, they probably will follow her to her old identity... Her chance to get hired to other entertainment companies are pretty much dead. Nobody gonna take a chance to hire someone who get fired for breaking nda and has personal connection to the biggest paparazzi in Japanese YouTube. Unless said company is desperate or equally unprofessional as her.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote
She Britney Spearsed herself
maquarch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:10 am Reply with quote
The company had stand by Rushia and then she betrayed that trust. Not only did she leak stuff to Korekore but now it's also in the hands of Narukami Sabaki who is a known paparazzi in the JP vtuber community. It's the internet, people will eventually find it. From what the JP bros found, the stuff she leaked also included personal info of other members and their relationship status to justify herself in which Korekore shared to his viewers while blurring out the faces on top of business emails and messages between staff and management. There are clips of this on youtube. Now they have information they should've never had access to unless they were provided with it. So yes, NDA was broken. Also, the worst part is that this was trending on internet news over in Japan.

Mafu dude made it worse by having a twitcast and Rushia's old persona did the same trying to show DMs and stuff. It doesn't look like those twitcasts are still up anymore but there are also clips out on youtube about this already. If anything, it clearly shows that Mafu guy is also an unaffiliated party of Hololive and shouldn't have had access to those DMs which also contained many business info unless he was provided with it. So again, NDA was broken.

Rushia is one of their big revenues. They wouldn't have terminated her so easily over a dating scandal. It's also a big loss for Cover but they're also refunding back to those that did the recent merch purchase of Rushia. According to one of the members, it seems like they were even trying to console her too throughout it but she wouldn't listen and thus this is where we are. The members themselves are grieving in their own way. If anything, nobody should even be bothering any talents about this issue. Please be respectful about it.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:11 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

I know you've already gotten multiple responses but I feel like they've missed an important piece here: the Vtuber character and the actor behind them are effectively, for all intents and purposes, one and the same. Like, is your real name actually Saeryen? Mine certainly isn't Florete, but I'll still answer to it online. Vtubers take it a bit further with a live avatar and (with Hololive and some others) an extra bit of "lore" like being a grim reaper or a phoenix, but they're all still the person regardless. Many of them talk about their own real lives as often or more as they reference whatever supernatural being they're meant to be.

Something that's just part of a storyline/in-joke for the "character" part is never going to make headlines like this. If you see news about a Vtuber, think of it like if you see news about PewDiePie; it's Felix Kjellberg, regardless of whether they use his real name or his channel name.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:06 am Reply with quote
maquarch wrote:
The company had stand by Rushia and then she betrayed that trust. Not only did she leak stuff to Korekore but now it's also in the hands of Narukami Sabaki who is a known paparazzi in the JP vtuber community. It's the internet, people will eventually find it. From what the JP bros found, the stuff she leaked also included personal info of other members and their relationship status to justify herself in which Korekore shared to his viewers while blurring out the faces on top of business emails and messages between staff and management. There are clips of this on youtube. Now they have information they should've never had access to unless they were provided with it. So yes, NDA was broken. Also, the worst part is that this was trending on internet news over in Japan.
The thing is - what was the actual cause of leakage first? If it's whole continuation of the story with Mafu - then fudge, Cover management is actually at the same fault and probably worse than Rushia, cause they don't even try to defend her at all - but only tried to swipe it under the rug by the time like a lot of times before (like with Mana Aloe before the contract got terminated, or with Coco and Haachama - before Coco graduated).

Literally everyone knew that Rushia got through a major mental breakdown after the situation with Mafu, and a lot of people actually knew the fact that she is in fact have mental issues - even before she took the Rushia persona. You do not expect a person in the sane mood to go desperately clean your name by doing the interview with the major yellow journalism scammer who is known for exactly that either, especially when your management also knows about the situation and suppose to take the measures to prevent the situation getting even worse.

If it goes exactly like that - then Cover management betrayed one of their top talents by mishandling her situation poorly and not even trying to treat and support her at the time when she need that, which makes her completely desperate and easily used by all kinds of yellow media at that point - only to get betrayed even more.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:26 am Reply with quote
The lesson you should take from the many internet dramas over the years is that if the internet mob comes for you, most of them don't actually care that much about what you did and are just jumping in the drama for their personal entertainment. You can not not make the mob stop even if you did nothing wrong, because they will rather believe in an entertaining story than the truth. But because the mob does not really care, they will get bored eventually and move on to something new. Anything that you do to address the drama will only make it go longer.

It does not matter if the drama is over something incredibly stupid, or if someone makes a credible accusation that you raped them 3 years ago while drunk, the best proven strategy to deal with the drama is just to ignore it and keep doing what you are doing until people get bored of the drama and move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5