• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Says His Allegations Against Daman Mills Were Fabricated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:45 am Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
The more I hear about the American voice acting industry, the worse I find it and glad I do not watch dubs and support these people and their companies.
The vast majority of anime dub voice actors are decent people who are just doing their job. There's only been a relatively small handful of high profile allegation cases that have been brought forward in recent years in contrast to the large number of anime voice actors who have no allegations against them. The dubbing industry can certainly do more to root out abusers and harassers but this is also true for literally all entertainment sectors. These sorts of abuse allegations issues also exist in the Japanese entertainment industry.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:48 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Blame the lawyer for that, they told him to keep quiet. But I get a feeling a statement might be in the works in the next few days. Yet if you look at what happened with Vic, who couldn't shut up for anything, Daman is probably doing the right thing by shutting up.

The smartest thing for anyone to do with these online controversies is stay silent. The public has a horrible attention span and will move on to the next big scandal without constant kindling to fuel the fire. The worst thing for Daman would be for people to keep talking about it and news outlets and content creators to keep bringing it up and harping on it. That's how you effect any meaningful change in the world. If the discussion dies out, then Mills will go about his business as per usual.

Note: I do not support Daman Mills and I believe the victim. Before he obviously got intimidated into a retraction, I mean. I'm just stating what all the smart people do in these situations is to ignore it. The easiest way to put out a fire is to smother it.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The vast majority of anime dub voice actors are decent people who are just doing their job. There's only been a relatively small handful of high profile allegation cases that have been brought forward in recent years in contrast to the large number of anime voice actors who have no allegations against them. The dubbing industry can certainly do more to root out abusers and harassers but this is also true for literally all entertainment sectors. These sorts of abuse allegations issues also exist in the Japanese entertainment industry.

The more you make a horrid environment uncomfortable, the more you encourage organic change. There are also many innocent companies and people in Florida and Russia, but people who do not want a penny going to those markets right now due to their recent decisions are standing by their convictions. Yes, many innocent voice actors work for these shows and companies, but that support also shows a demand for the bad ones if not puts money directly in people like Mill's pockets to potentially help finance and foster more abuse in the future. Some people do not want that weighing on their conscience and hope it will spur change and remove the bad people.
Ocixon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:41 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Because a screen-shot can easily be faked, really sucks not knowing if these screen-shots are legit or not!

They're real. One thing people may have forgotten is that Lynzee interviewed another lad, Brian, who mentioned that they said stuff like that.

Quote:
The group often joked around and did "dumb shit" that Brian described as typical humor for the time.[...] Brian told ANN that Mills would often make off-color comments on his and other boys' Facebook profiles and play it off as jokes, including statements like he was going to "rape" them.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:53 am Reply with quote
In a lot of ways,I agree with Cardcaptor Takato. Not everyone in the American anime industry is a creepy monster. It's just that that industry in particular and the entertainment industry as a whole has to be really careful about how they handle controversies such as this. If they do it wrong,it'll anger a lot people. They have to allow investigations for this sort of thing and not just an in-house thing. How they handle this is going to be the big question.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:17 am Reply with quote
Ocixon wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Because a screen-shot can easily be faked, really sucks not knowing if these screen-shots are legit or not!

They're real. One thing people may have forgotten is that Lynzee interviewed another lad, Brian, who mentioned that they said stuff like that.

Quote:
The group often joked around and did "dumb shit" that Brian described as typical humor for the time.[...] Brian told ANN that Mills would often make off-color comments on his and other boys' Facebook profiles and play it off as jokes, including statements like he was going to "rape" them.

With all these new accounts being made during these stories, forgive me for being suspicious on taking your word for it. Just because a person says something in an interview that doesn't necessarily mean it is is true or not true. I am open to the idea at least some of such screen-shots might be real. However, Duncan claiming he fabricated the claims against Daman is why I have such doubts on believing the screen-shots.
Ocixon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With all these new accounts being made during these stories, forgive me for being suspicious on taking your word for it. Just because a person says something in an interview that doesn't necessarily mean it is is true or not true. I am open to the idea at least some of such screen-shots might be real. However, Duncan claiming he fabricated the claims against Daman is why I have such doubts on believing the screen-shots.

It is unfortunate that the claims by Brian were not investigated, as they could've been authenticated by ANN with some additional leg work. Perhaps this was seen as unnecessary. Other voice actors, ones that are more well known, have been recorded saying worse, and no one really cares.

That being said, many of the screen-shots were archived. Some do not show the full list of facebook comments, however. That is another unfortunate reality of archiving sites, they don't always get everything, or anything at all in some cases. I suppose the most damning one that can be verified is the one where daman is commenting on a picture of two boys in bed and he mentions "jizzing on my leg" which sounds familiar if you've read the accusations. In that same post, Daman can be seen begging for the video of the boys, which is another claim Brian made that he had his own, separate screen shots for.

I don't think I can link that as I believe it would be moderated, but it's out there. I apologize for repeating myself, however, any such link of Daman's comments would also contain information that would identify Brian and Daman's accuser. ANN has not revealed that information, so their forums are probably not the appropriate place for that.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:31 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
This whole thing seems really sad. The worst reality is this is all actually true but Daman and his voice-acting friends are trying to intimidate and bully people into silence, which unfortunately we've seen a lot of. But even the best case scenario still doesn't look good either if the truth is saying that sex with an underage boy was actually consensual. The more I hear about the American voice acting industry, the worse I find it and glad I do not watch dubs and support these people and their companies.

If you are proud enough to claim that you won't support the American voice acting industry, boy do I have news for you about the Japanese voice acting industry.

Like I previously stated, this is hardly an argument to be made about not supporting dubs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:02 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

The more you make a horrid environment uncomfortable, the more you encourage organic change. There are also many innocent companies and people in Florida and Russia, but people who do not want a penny going to those markets right now due to their recent decisions are standing by their convictions. Yes, many innocent voice actors work for these shows and companies, but that support also shows a demand for the bad ones if not puts money directly in people like Mill's pockets to potentially help finance and foster more abuse in the future. Some people do not want that weighing on their conscience and hope it will spur change and remove the bad people.
Did you really just compare the dubbing industry to the Russian invasion? Rolling Eyes Also I hope you know that even if you're only watching subtitled anime on Crunchyroll and HiDive your money is still going to Sony and Sentai Filmworks.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if Lynzee wants her recent twitter thread about this whole thing shared here (mods please feel free to delete this comment if it was more meant just to vent about the situation rather than stir up more talk or is too off-topic). But good lord, that whole thread is something:

https://twitter.com/ANN_Lynzee/status/1505248621796548609

I just wanted to say her whole recounting of events and the fact that 1) Duncan's personal e-mail was shared with friends/industry members and 2) an ADR director sent an e-mail like that to Lynzee and possibly Duncan as well absolutely sickens me.

Not even going to bother to speculate on who the director is despite my immediate gut reaction because 1) I really don’t want to and 2) speculation on something this serious does zero good for anyone and I would never feel comfortable making my gut feeling public based on nothing. But whoever it is (there are simply not that many ADR directors working with Funi or even Sound Cadence, a studio Funi often works with that he's co-directed under), I'm so upset and sad this is how everything had to end. There's essentially zero chance for any kernel of truth from seeing the light of day, and yes that includes any belief in Daman's innocence as well as belief in and justice for Duncan.

Also, because someone brought it up earlier - throw me into the mix for contributing to Lynzee's venmo/ko-fi "drinks for the office" bill because jesus christ.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I feel REALLY weird sharing it but I do technically have a ko-fi

ko-fi.com/ann_lynzee0601

Please don't anyone feel obligated to do anything, I'm not financially struggling or anything but since a couple people expressed interest, I'll put it there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Not sure if Lynzee wants her recent twitter thread about this whole thing shared here (mods please feel free to delete this comment if it was more meant just to vent about the situation rather than stir up more talk or is too off-topic). But good lord, that whole thread is something:

https://twitter.com/ANN_Lynzee/status/1505248621796548609

I just wanted to say her whole recounting of events and the fact that 1) Duncan's personal e-mail was shared with friends/industry members and 2) an ADR director sent an e-mail like that to Lynzee and possibly Duncan as well absolutely sickens me.

Not even going to bother to speculate on who the director is despite my immediate gut reaction because 1) I really don’t want to and 2) speculation on something this serious does zero good for anyone and I would never feel comfortable making my gut feeling public based on nothing. But whoever it is (there are simply not that many ADR directors working with Funi or even Sound Cadence, a studio Funi often works with that he's co-directed under), I'm so upset and sad this is how everything had to end. There's essentially zero chance for any kernel of truth from seeing the light of day, and yes that includes any belief in Daman's innocence as well as belief in and justice for Duncan.

Also, because someone brought it up earlier - throw me into the mix for contributing to Lynzee's venmo/ko-fi "drinks for the office" bill because jesus christ.

Lynzee, if I had the money, I'd by drinks not just for you, but your whole office staff! Damn!

In my line of "work" so to say, a threat like that is taken VERY seriously. However, realizing the situation, it's more of a "If you don't do this now, this will happen and you'll be sorry!" kind of thing. That's more than a threat on what they want to do, it's a threat on a whole career in journalism. You strive to tell the truth, if more comes out, you update...that's what's supposed to happen. Yet when someone adds that one word that begins with an "S", it's like a double edged sword.

Either it's to gain sympathy or something's seriously wrong in the person's head or they're desperate.

In this case, desperate is more of an exaggeration at the moment. This is like a drama. You don't know the next turn, but you fear it. And that worries me.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
What. A. Mess.

I knew it would only get worse from here on out. I don’t know if we’ll ever find out the truth at this point.

Also, holy shit that blackmail-ridden email from that ADR director. Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with people?!
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
Also, holy shit that blackmail-ridden email from that ADR director. Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with people?!

The sad thing is, I could totally see someone sending an email about someone's suicidal tendencies out of genuine concern (especially if they knew information about the situation others didn't) just as easily as an email like that being super heavy on emotional burden/guilt-tripping/etc... But either way, even under the best circumstances, you're putting a completely unfair burden on someone who's just trying to find and report the truth. It's such a shitty thing to do to a journalist.

Even all that said, I also feel for the majority of Funi directors who now potentially might get doxxed from all this (and not just the dozen+ staffed directors, but anyone who's even directed on contract since all that info is super easy to find).

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waterstarlight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Whoever this ADR director is, they handled this very sloppily. Of course an article being taken down and threat of blackmail would make Daman look worse. Did they not think of that?
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Meowtain Duwu wrote:

The sad thing is, I could totally see someone sending an email about someone's suicidal tendencies out of genuine concern (especially if they knew information about the situation others didn't) just as easily as an email like that being super heavy on emotional burden/guilt-tripping/etc... But either way, even under the best circumstances, you're putting a completely unfair burden on someone who's just trying to find and report the truth. It's such a shitty thing to do to a journalist.

That's what I mean by a double edge sword. You don't know if it's out of concern or blackmail. I'd be talking to the athorities or something. But if you do a well check and everything's fine and then the person uses it as blackmail...it's a cycle of abuse toward the journalist as well.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8