• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Says His Allegations Against Daman Mills Were Fabricated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Threatening suicide is a common tactic abusers employee to keep control over their victims in toxic relationships. It's very damning that Daman Mills would threaten that in an effort to prove that he did not abuse anyone and get people to take down their articles or retract their accusations. Although I suppose it was technically an ADR associate of his that threatened that, which is meant to absolve him of wrong-doing.
Ocixon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
With this recent revelation, some names are being mentioned as possible suspects in Duncan's doxing by people who like to speculate. One voice actor in particular was mentioned about an hour ago, along with their Facebook posts showing that they were mutuals with Duncan, Daman, and the person whose friends-only posts was used to publicly dox Duncan.

They privated their Facebook minutes ago. That's how closely this story is being monitored. Shocked
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Ocixon wrote:
With this recent revelation, some names are being mentioned as possible suspects in Duncan's doxing by people who like to speculate. One voice actor in particular was mentioned about an hour ago, along with their Facebook posts showing that they were mutuals with Duncan, Daman, and the person whose friends-only posts was used to publicly dox Duncan.

They privated their Facebook minutes ago. That's how closely this story is being monitored. Shocked

That sounds highly suspicious to me. I can only imagine how deep this rabbit hole goes. This whole situation might now take months to completely come to an end.

Sounds like we’re all in this for the long haul everyone.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
There sure are a lot of new accounts here who are more than happy to post links from serial harassers who have doxxed people for years.

Forgot to bring this up when backreading but I'll be honest: anytime there's a more controversial/heated post on ANN - I do not even read, let alone engage with, most of the day-old accounts that were created just to talk about this unless there's good reason to (and thankfully you can usually tell within the first couple lines). Especially for news like this.
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Etheiria wrote:
Anime News Network may not be able to say it officially, so I will. They're being manipulated.

If you've been following this story in the forums, there was a user who was very emphatic that the site was sloppy in their reporting. They were incensed over some minor details that would've been known only to a select few. Shortly thereafter, the alleged victim shows up on Twitter to give a statement, "in my Own Words", "without any spin or anything". They go on to say say, "Honestly, the thing I want more than anything is just for the article to be taken down." The intent is clear, to me. When Anime News Network couldn't be bullied into deleting the article, they switched to a different tactic. Make Anime News Network publish another piece that completely undermines their journalistic credibility.

This is the most perceptive and informative post in this thread, and maybe in this entire ordeal. Thank you for drawing attention to this.

It's upsetting to see outside parties attempt to manipulate what is already a terrible situation. Sorry to hear those parties have caused unnecessary grief to people who are simply trying to do their jobs. I still trust ANN's coverage and I think ANN and the journo handled this the best they could. I wouldn't have wanted, or expected, them to report on this any differently.
therjabundo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
This has been a really chaotic and toxic situation. First of all, I wish "Duncan" peace and I hope he gets the justice he deserves. Second, I commend Lynzee and the ANN crew for their hardwork these past several days. Thank you for keeping us all informed and updated.

It is really sickening how Duncan got doxxed, and I am very certain this was committed by someone personally close to Daman. Next, let's talk about the supposed evidence: It has not been credibly proven these screenshots were definitely doctored even as Duncan himself seemed to say so. The evidence presented will remain authentic unless some sort of IT nerd proves it otherwise and verify the view that Duncan is indeed lying. There's another thing very fishy here: It doesn't make sense to me that Duncan, in just a matter of days, would retract his allegations, ask that the article be taken down and declare that it was all fake. Something's just not right. I still do believe he was pressured into being silenced.

Speaking of silenced, let's move on to this fellow VA and ADR Director who asked not to be named. Claiming to ANN that Daman was threatening suicide if Duncan didn't retract his allegations and if the article wasn't removed is just alarming and concerning yet suspicious. This director didn't provide evidence (such as text messages or voice mail) that Daman indeed had suicidal tendencies. I just think it was an attempt to protect Daman and blackmail ANN into taking down the article.

In the end, I think it would be for the very best if Daman Mills RETIRE from the VO industry.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
therjabundo wrote:
This has been a really chaotic and toxic situation. First of all, I wish "Duncan" peace and I hope he gets the justice he deserves. Second, I commend Lynzee and the ANN crew for their hardwork these past several days. Thank you for keeping us all informed and updated.

It is really sickening how Duncan got doxxed, and I am very certain this was committed by someone personally close to Daman. Next, let's talk about the supposed evidence: It has not been credibly proven these screenshots were definitely doctored even as Duncan himself seemed to say so. The evidence presented will remain authentic unless some sort of IT nerd proves it otherwise and verify the view that Duncan is indeed lying. There's another thing very fishy here: It doesn't make sense to me that Duncan, in just a matter of days, would retract his allegations, ask that the article be taken down and declare that it was all fake. Something's just not right. I still do believe he was pressured into being silenced.

Speaking of silenced, let's move on to this fellow VA and ADR Director who asked not to be named. Claiming to ANN that Daman was threatening suicide if Duncan didn't retract his allegations and if the article wasn't removed is just alarming and concerning yet suspicious. This director didn't provide evidence (such as text messages or voice mail) that Daman indeed had suicidal tendencies. I just think it was an attempt to protect Daman and blackmail ANN into taking down the article.

In the end, I think it would be for the very best if Daman Mills RETIRE from the VO industry.

I think you hit the hammer on the nail, pal.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:57 am Reply with quote
therjabundo wrote:

Assuming that any of the screen-shots were doctored and that Duncan did indeed pull a false #MeToo-type story, to me the only proper justice would be for Duncan to be in prison. However, I know that is unlikely to happen. Now, if Daman did indeed commit of any those claims, Daman should be in prison.
James_xeno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:13 am Reply with quote
What a shitshow this all turned out to be. I'll admit that as a matter or principle, Daman was already in deep from merely the accusation and screenshots alone, in accordance with the standards he himself chose for others in the past. But any questions I might have had simply disappeared after the legal and suicide (guilt-trip) threat crap. The doxxing being merely a bonus. And i'm not even going to comment on some of the arguments (not from here really) seeking to throw around "phobia" arguments in an attempt to get this discredited.

I also see i'm not the only one who noticed the similarity with the suicide threat, to the tactics used by sociopaths and abusers. But something else i noticed, is how eerily the retraction/"fabrication" claims sound like the kind of excuses and reasoning abuse victims are said to come up with to self-justify away their abuse. Especially after the fact.

The fact that almost nobody important, esp directly from within the industry, who were all so gung ho to "believe/support victims" in almost every other past case, could even be bothered to comment... Was the most telling clue as to how this was going to go. At first I thought by just being officially ignored no matter what.. but we still ended up there, simply by other means it seems. Disgraceful by their own supposed standards no less!

I'm pretty much 100% done with the western anime industry at this point, certainly the dubbing parts of it. The amount of respect really couldn't fall much lower, for me at least. As for ANN.. It takes some balls to go with a story like this to begin with. (the wrong type of potential victim, the wrong type of potential sex pest etc) But they haven't really backed down, and the editors have been pretty clear on the behind the scenes bullshit as well. (which is a surprise in genera) +1 respect

I can only imagine what the discourse is going to be like online, on social media and within the fandom now when it comes to accusations, even ones backed up with proof. If it wasn't already, stuff like "believe victims" will literally be seen as little more than a partisan call-to-arms for a witch hunt by an even greater number of people. Things are about to get a whole lot more toxic regarding issues like this, one way or another. (the damage has already been done here)

As for Daman, one way or another, he likely should start looking for a new profession. Things are going to get really ugly if he's not at least forced to. (the post history is damning enough already in this case I think)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:03 am Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:
As for Daman, one way or another, he likely should start looking for a new profession. Things are going to get really ugly if he's not at least forced to. (the post history is damning enough already in this case I think)

I agree. Even if he was not in such a relationship with Duncan at all and didn't know Duncan personally, Duncan's "fabricated" claim still is a potential VA industry career killer for Daman. That is, if Duncan was some random person who did pull some false #MeToo-type story, Daman's career in the VA industry was essentially killed from that possible false claim.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:

I'm pretty much 100% done with the western anime industry at this point, certainly the dubbing parts of it. The amount of respect really couldn't fall much lower, for me at least. As for ANN.. It takes some balls to go with a story like this to begin with. (the wrong type of potential victim, the wrong type of potential sex pest etc) But they haven't really backed down, and the editors have been pretty clear on the behind the scenes bullshit as well. (which is a surprise in genera) +1 respect

The logic pretzeling you have to do to think this was handled any differently than the past is telling. It’s very clear that your idea of respect has nothing to do with the reality of this situation, and only from a personal vendetta for someone who is unrelated to this. Please get a better barometer of morality than Vic and his adjacent grifters, and then maybe you won’t have to pretend that ANN somehow did something out of character rather than simply operate with the same integrity it has always had.
#icyermc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:12 pm Reply with quote
So - honest question.

Why do a lot of you say “Believe all victims” until they redact their statement and say they claims were fabricated? That seems a little hypocritical, wouldn’t you think?

After the victim redacts the statement, you all automatically start assuming things and saying that he was pressured, even when the victim himself says that he wasn’t pressured.

If you really believed all victims, you would believe them if they retract their statement and admit it was fabricated.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
#icyermc wrote:
So - honest question.

Why do a lot of you say “Believe all victims” until they redact their statement and say they claims were fabricated? That seems a little hypocritical, wouldn’t you think?

After the victim redacts the statement, you all automatically start assuming things and saying that he was pressured, even when the victim himself says that he wasn’t pressured.

If you really believed all victims, you would believe them if they retract their statement and admit it was fabricated.

Believing victims includes being able to tell when a retraction was most likely done out of legal intimidation or emotional blackmail like people threatening to kill themselves.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I feel REALLY weird sharing it but I do technically have a ko-fi

ko-fi.com/ann_lynzee0601

Please don't anyone feel obligated to do anything, I'm not financially struggling or anything but since a couple people expressed interest, I'll put it there.

No disrespect when saying this considering how you are struggling with this messy situation. However, I do think it's distasteful to put a Ko-fi in a thread on sexual allegations. Maybe a thread of reviews instead.

Again, I know you are stressed out over this. But I do find it.... a bit iffy when I see people promote or anything about themselves of when it's not related to sexual allegations or any serious subject.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
#icyermc wrote:
So - honest question.

I'll tell you who I don't believe are bot accounts who just signed up days ago for the sole purpose of defending Daman.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8