• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Happened to Sol Press?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope that a publisher picks up the titles. I really want to pick up Battle Divas volume two and three, along with Failed Knight.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:58 am Reply with quote
I know I'm SoL with back all 3 of their Kickstarter VNs too, since Paypal doesn't go back that far for refunds :/ I only say them doing refunds for some of the LNs they did. The worst part, was that they seemed to have a lot of the goods in hand too. However, since they legally csnnot operate as a business, I'm not sure what happens to these goods that did get produced, just sitting there :/ I did hear that some groups reached out to try and help finish fulfilling the backer rewards, since they sounded like they were almost done, but it did not look positive...
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
I wanted to get Chivalry of a Failed Knight, but never did due to inconvenience of them apparently not offering physical copies through either Right Stuf or Amazon. I was not up to bothering with their site (and in retrospect for good reason now I guess).
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:24 am Reply with quote
For the people wondering why even if the contracts fold why Sol would need to be negotiated with for translation rescues: Translations being the work of interpretation of another work are themselves protected by Intellectual Property. Those translations irrespective of the Original product are the property of Sol until they expire or are transferred. Unless specifically contracted to produce the translations by the Japanese rights holders, which is very unlikely. Any new translation that is too close to these translations (which is highly likely) will leave themselves open to be sued by whoever controls the first translations rights.

In the case of most companies owed money they wouldnt hesitate to try and recoup money against anyone who left themselves open to suing. Many older titles of classics are not rescued because of this very reason. Unless the holding company gets compensated.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:40 am Reply with quote
@EmperorBrandon

They did offer three volumes of Chivalry of a Failed Knight on Amazon at one point. A month or so later they cancelled two of those. The first volume did ship many months late.
WisteriaCrow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote
This has been such a wild ride, following with Sol Press all the way to this point. Roughly two years ago, I was actually researching how to get into the manga licensing and publishing industry, and Valdez, as the CEO of such a "company," actually offered a phone call with me to discuss how Sol Press started and how the industry works. We chatted for about an hour on various topics, including (non-specifics about) his meetings with foreign executives and working with freelancers.

To echo what the article says, Valdez absolutely had charisma. From his initially open-door-policy on Reddit to his phone call with me, he was very pleasant and incredibly ambitious. He truly did come off as someone you wanted to get along with and work alongside. I can only imagine that he really did get in over his head with costs, but I can't imagine what happened with the ghosting. Last I heard from him was early last year about changing my shipping address.

Sucks for everyone who backed the company. I had an order for three manga volumes in, and unfortunately even back last fall TSmalls wasn't able to refund my order. The community and seemingly the rest of those involved with Sol Press all seemed so genuine about their support and passion that it really is a shame what the end result has become. Hoping some company does rescue many of these licenses, and possibly gives the Sol Press team a new chance in the industry.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Another example of why those who want presently-existing companies to go out of business and get replaced by upstart disruptive innovators should be careful what they wish for.

If the translation rights can't be transferred or released, I wonder if it'd be an option for other companies to pick up the licenses to LN series and continue from where Sol Press left off. That way, they wouldn't be retranslating already-released material, and could continue serving the fans of those titles.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@EmperorBrandon

They did offer three volumes of Chivalry of a Failed Knight on Amazon at one point. A month or so later they cancelled two of those. The first volume did ship many months late.

I might have missed the window for it. At any point I checked, physical was not possible to order.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:11 am Reply with quote
A darn shame about the licenses
I vaguely remember hearing a couple years ago about GochiUsa getting licensed only to realize it was eBook only. Wanting physical copies to add to my Kirara collection I decided to wait and see if they would get released only for this to happen. Guess the license is stuck in purgatory for now.

All I can do is hope someone like Yen Press picks it (Blend S would be nice too). Maybe I;ll go fill out a survey for them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:09 am Reply with quote
Can anyone think of a light novel series that was successfully license rescued? I'm not familiar with digital only versions so there may be something there. Even if you want to include manga, I can only think of a handful of rescues and only a couple or so that were successfully completed by the rescuing publisher.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Can anyone think of a light novel series that was successfully license rescued?

Slayers. Tokyopop released 8 volumes(between 2004-2008), and j-novel licensed it in 2020 and are doing their own translation, their release is up to 12 volumes currently.

On the other hand, it's Slayers...
Pit93#934865

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
If somebody were to rescue Rakudai, I fortunately wouldn't have to double dip as I never supported Sol Press in the first place. I avoid Sol Press and Yen Press like the plague due to their weird "localization" decisions, like changing names of character (even main characters) and the removal of suffixes, when it's really not an issue (or rather it creates issues).

So if Kodansha or Seven Seas or JNC were to get Rakudai and retranslate it, I'd be more than happy to buy both physical and digital copies. I already have them in Japanese anyway.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Can anyone think of a light novel series that was successfully license rescued?

Slayers. Tokyopop released 8 volumes(between 2004-2008), and j-novel licensed it in 2020 and are doing their own translation, their release is up to 12 volumes currently.

On the other hand, it's Slayers...

What's that last comment meant to imply?

Anyway, JNC also salvaged the Full Metal Panic license, and recently finished publishing the (main) series in English. Which was also a holdover from Tokyopop, who put out the first five books in English years and years ago.

And I think Yotsubato&! also changed publishers midway through? I don't remember too well.

But, yeah, Tokyopop's collapse left several licenses in limbo. I will forever resent the fact that only four of the Twelve Kingdoms novels were published in English.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Can anyone think of a light novel series that was successfully license rescued? I'm not familiar with digital only versions so there may be something there. Even if you want to include manga, I can only think of a handful of rescues and only a couple or so that were successfully completed by the rescuing publisher.

Full Metal Panic.
In fact, the J-Novel Club releases are the only full English release (and far better than, at that) since the old Tokyopop release only got two around volume 4 and they were iffy at best.
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:45 am Reply with quote
NikamiYuhara wrote:
In a recent Reddit AMA promoting Cynaotype Daydream, onowasabi the CEO of Laplacian was asked if there were any plans to make Newton and the Apple Tree available for purchase again and stated Sol Press technically still holds the rights to the translation and they can't get in contact with Xev to do anything about the license for the English version.

Cryten wrote:
For the people wondering why even if the contracts fold why Sol would need to be negotiated with for translation rescues: Translations being the work of interpretation of another work are themselves protected by Intellectual Property. Those translations irrespective of the Original product are the property of Sol until they expire or are transferred. Unless specifically contracted to produce the translations by the Japanese rights holders, which is very unlikely. Any new translation that is too close to these translations (which is highly likely) will leave themselves open to be sued by whoever controls the first translations rights.

Thank you for the explanations. I guess this is what surprised me. Given how controlling Japanese publishers are with their works, I would have expected that they would state in their contract that they become the owners to the translation produced by the licensee. This way, if something bad were to happen to the licensee, as was the case here, Japan would still own the translation and would not have any problems giving it to another licensee to publish.

Is that not a common arrangement that is made when licensing mangas and LNs?

Frog-kun wrote:
To go into slightly more detail, the Japanese publishers can go through a process to terminate the contract with Sol Press. The books being removed from storefronts is an indication that they are taking action in this direction. That means that those titles can theoretically be licensed to different publishers now.

I see. Then, I hope the publishers can complete the process without interference from Sol Press. It would be annoying if Sol Press suddenly reappeared to try to stop the process for whatever reason. It's so upsetting that everything has to end this way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3