• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Happened to Sol Press?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabruness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:51 am Reply with quote
Madaniel wrote:
Sabruness wrote:
Madaniel wrote:
Really hope someone is able to rescue the license for Chivalry, also I'm not sure if I'm correct on this but they were one of the first if not only to ever license a hentai LN.

Seven Seas licenses some hentai, and extremely hentai-adjacent, through their Ghost Ship imprint so Busy Wizard has a chance for rescue.
I know Seven Seas licenses some really ecchi series but I'm not 100% sure about actual hentai, specially hentai LNs.

Among other hentai-ish and extremely hentai-adjacent works, Ghost Ship licenses the Worlds End Harem mangas so i think Busy Wizard wouldnt be a stretch.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:54 am Reply with quote
So Slayers and Full Metal Panic. I should have remembered FMP as I have the Tokyopop version and as much of the JNC version as is out on hardcopy. I think the problem with the rescue of light novels is that publishers have so much to choose from that they are reluctant to pick up someone else's failures. The same applies to manga.

@Fluwm

You are correct Yotsubato&! is a license rescue from the mess that was ADV's attempt to get into manga. TokyoPop also rescued Aria and Your and My Secret from them. Of course they failed to complete either and it wasn't until the resurrection of TokyoPop that Aria was again rescued and completed. Dark Horse license rescued and completed Lone Wolf & Cub. It was in a really bad small format though. There may be others but I'm drawing a blank.
Pit93#934865

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:54 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Can anyone think of a light novel series that was successfully license rescued? I'm not familiar with digital only versions so there may be something there. Even if you want to include manga, I can only think of a handful of rescues and only a couple or so that were successfully completed by the rescuing publisher.

Not a LightNovel, but I know that when TokyoPop abandoned School Rumble (in German) it was later picked up by Egmont and they released the last 4 volumes. They even tried to make the spines of the remaining volumes look pretty much the same as the TokyoPop version, so it doesn't look weird on shelves (except for the publisher logo, but that's ok).

Unfortunately ToyoPop today isn't what it used to be translation-wise, at least in German. Even though I buy a ton of stuff in English, I haven't come across a single TokyoPop license in English for some reason. ^^'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3