• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Halt Ad-Supported Streaming Starting With Spring 2022 Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
Remember how in the early 2000s Japanese record labels wouldn't allow their artists videos to be streamed because they wanted people to buy overpriced CDs, and Korean record labels uploaded all their stuff to Youtube for free, and now BTS plays in the U.S. Billboard Top 40 and J-Pop is a little known financial wasteland?

Yeah. Get ready for something similar.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
So this is the first consequence of the merger, huh.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:25 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll about to lose 90% of their viewership. Not even kidding. Last I checked ad revenue was most their income too
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:27 am Reply with quote
Well that sucks, especially for those who mainly watch with ads.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:30 am Reply with quote
Can't say I didn't see it coming, but disappointing nonetheless. I think that seeing how Netflix operates, as well as Sony's own faith-based streaming service Pure Flix (pretty much the Fox News of streaming entertainment) demonstrates, Sony probably thinks people will want a premium product at a premium price. They're known for quality products such as electronics (I own a wide variety of Sony tech, and their WH-1000XM4 noise-cancelling headphones are great), but that doesn't mean they have to cave and turn Crunchyroll into a premium service. What a shame.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Crunchyroll confirmed that with continuing anime, ad-supported viewing will not be available with episodes starting with the spring season, but episodes prior to the spring season will be available.

Just not the current season, but prior seasons will still be available, meaning that spring 2022 won't be available for ad-supported viewing until summer 2022. Then, summer 2022 anime won't be available for ad-supported viewing until fall 2022. Rinse and repeat. Sounds like a mess, but the idea is that you pay to get the content quicker, and not just a week.

This also might be a way to curb some traffic, as we don't know what the current capacity for CR's servers is and what they can handle after this merger.

Meowtain Duwu wrote:
Won’t be shocked if people start sharing their accounts with friends and family once this starts…

It's actually against CR's ToS, so I don't recommend it.

Netflix is also testing the CR model in other countries to eliminate shared accounts to maximize profits. Hulu and HiDive have multiple user accounts.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
So instead of giving fans a legal free alternative to piracy, by watching anime free with ads that ads profits to Crunchyroll, they take that away so people will return to watching anime illegally on websites that do the same thing. Piracy websites will see a lovely increase in ad profits.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:35 am Reply with quote
This seems...unwise. Especially when you've made it a binary choice between it and the Hulu/Netflix drip down or just plain piracy, which seems to be more and more often, the anime fan's first choice when confronted with financial hurdles. (Seriously, "this VA said something I didn't like! PIRATE! This translator supported a political position! PIRATE!") With the market expanding as it is, restricting access is the absolute worst thing you can do.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:14 am Reply with quote
Funny how Crunchyroll could afford to do free ad-supported streams for years when they were an independnt company, but now that they're owned by an $80 billion megaconglomerate suddenly they can't provide that anymore? This is just pure greed.

It's going to hurt anime in the long run, too. First Crunchy nearly monopolize the business with the Funimation merger, now they put everything behind a paywall. In the long run, all that does is mean fewer people will get into anime, which means fewer customers for Crunchyroll. The ad-supported streams were how a lot of kids and casual fans became more devoted fans, and now that's going to be over.

Sounds like another case of a huge company buying a business they don't actually understand.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is sending "F-ck you" to non-subscriber users, including those who are low income. Watch free with ads after one week model is dead. Won't be surprised if CR will raising prices like Netflix.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:20 am Reply with quote
Since ads can be blocked quite easily and the resolution was not limited, the only actual incentive for anyone to upgrade from the free plan to premium was always the one-week delay of new episodes. Now that wait is going to get even longer - possibly eternal - but I do wonder how much good it will actually do them.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:30 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
It's the Funimation NOW streaming model being applied to Crunchyroll. It's worth remembering that while the Crunchyroll name has been adopted for the company going forward, no doubt due to the name's market reach, it was Funimation that bought out Crunchyroll, not vice versa.

They obviously think that with the existing Crunchyroll subscription base, plus the Funimation NOW subscribers transferred over, plus the fraction of free users that bite the bullet and subscribe, they'll have enough to offset the lost ad-revenue. And if that isn't enough, they'll raise prices. It's not like they have any equivalent competing service now, is it?

To be fair, they will raise prices even if it is enough.

CastMember1991 wrote:
They're known for quality products such as electronics (I own a wide variety of Sony tech, and their WH-1000XM4 noise-cancelling headphones are great)

The last couple of headphones I've bought are from Sony and I must say, I'm quite displeased with them!
sharkticon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this probably would have happened without the merger and is probably the right move for the company, even if it does result in an increase in piracy.

You have to keep in mind, they make a small fraction of a cent per ad view. I have seen rates for streaming ads in the one third a cent per view range, so assuming no ad blockers, CR likely makes less than 2 cents per viewer watching 8 ads attached to an episode. Even assuming CR gets better than average rates, a free viewer would have to watch 250 to 375 episodes a month to bring in the same income as a $10 subscription, and the latter user is using less ancillary costs such as bandwidth. That 250 number is also still more than double the number of new episodes offered a month.

This last season, I watched one seasonal anime, and caught up on two seasons of another anime, so I watched about 36 episodes on CR. I pay for a $10 subscription, because I don't like waiting a week for new episodes. If I was a free member, and didn't use an ad blocker, they would have made about $0.75 off me.

Ad blockers are also probably the main driving force behind this, not the merger. Let's be honest, ads have gotten increasingly intrusive, and the only way to not have a user hostile web browsing experience is to use a ad blocker. From there, about 64% of millennials use ad blockers. So, we can probably cut their expected income per free viewer by about half.

The cold reality is, they probably break even if less than 5% of free viewers convert to $10 subscriptions. If 10% do, it will be a runaway success. And that is before including benefits such as reduced bandwidth costs from the free users no longer visiting, and no longer having to maintain the portion of their codebase related to those ads.

TL;DR - Yes it sucks, but it is the absolute right decision for Cruncyroll. This was always going to happen eventually. It likely has more to do with ad blockers than the Funimation merger.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

It's going to hurt anime in the long run, too. First Crunchy nearly monopolize the business with the Funimation merger, now they put everything behind a paywall. In the long run, all that does is mean fewer people will get into anime, which means fewer customers for Crunchyroll. The ad-supported streams were how a lot of kids and casual fans became more devoted fans, and now that's going to be over.

Sounds like another case of a huge company buying a business they don't actually understand.
I think this is the biggest issue. I've been a paying subscriber for years, but I'm older and well into an established career. 14 year old me would never have been able to afford a subscription. I don't think I'm unique, in that as time went on and I began to have disposable income that I started paying for subscriptions. They're cutting off their future paying customers before they get a chance to become fans
sharkticon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

I think this is the biggest issue. I've been a paying subscriber for years, but I'm older and well into an established career. 14 year old me would never have been able to afford a subscription. I don't think I'm unique, in that as time went on and I began to have disposable income that I started paying for subscriptions. They're cutting off their future paying customers before they get a chance to become fans

Crunchyroll didn't exist when I was 14. I became a fan watching the Sci-Fi channel, Cartoon Network, and Saturday morning cartoons on various channels. Anime is even more culturally ubiquitous now. There will still be new fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13