• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is Shinji hated so much?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of on-the-fence about him. On the one hand, Shinji did have a traumatic childhood and was faced with unimaginable circumstances, so I can empathize with his reactions. He also developed during the series and made some progress in becoming more confident and accepting of his role, although a lot of that was shot to hell by the Kaoru incident. Many of his internal monologues after stressful events were, IMO, very realistic and I found him to be one of the more 'human' characters in the cast (behind Asuka and Misato). On the other hand, his navel-gazing, introspection and whining went too far at a number of points and it seemed like he just enjoyed wallowing in his own pain at times. While Shinji did usually drag himself up from the internal pity party and take action to better himself and/or the external situation (which I admire), the amount of time it took him to stop whining and do something bugged me. I liked him well enough, but I think he would have been a more appealing character if the length of his moping had been shortened or had occured off-camera.

And, although I can understand how it fits with his character and it made sense and all, I lost some sympathy for Shinji spoiler[after the hospital scene with Asuka in EoE].
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
I never said people never had weaknesses nor did I say we should be able to overcome them at all. Again, I'm just stating what I believe he should've done. It's only considered a mistake to ME and PEOPLE who believe the same. I know that, just speaking out for one of the many sides of criticism.

Right, Shinji's character was weak and made mistakes. We all do. We agree on this. But I'm just simply saying that after the fact, whether we're criticizing fictional character or criticizing others, it's rather pointless in itself to say "Well, I would've done this differently..." because it's already happened.

Quote:
But all criticism isn't needed. Yet we do it anyway. It's how we attempt to make arguments about things nobody needs to argue about. Especially for fictional characters

Holds true for the majority of arguments over the Internet.

selenta wrote:
Well then, you're forgiven. I never equated a person's worth with their personality or with their personality traits, nor did I in any way imply such a thing. One aspect of a person may be unacceptable to me, that doesn't make the person unacceptable.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Very well, if that is what you've been trying to imply all along, I'll drop it with the understanding that we are saying the same thing and I was misconstruing what you said. The only thing I ask is that you explain to me how this quote, particularly the condescending introspective bolded part, is exactly what you meant and why it is not what I've been claiming you were saying:

HellKorn wrote:
To see a reminder of reality, to see something where they actually have to think and reconsider something in their own world is something that numerous people don't want to deal with

First off, I'm a little loss how that was condescending. A bit harsh? Perhaps. Taking a "holier than thou" approach, though? Never really gave it that twist to it.

Secondly, aye, I finally get why the hell this went down the way it did. You were concentrating solely on that portion of my thoughts. I wasn't just stating that people don't like Shinji because they "reconsider themselves or those around them," nor was I stating that this remained true for everyone. My reply to PantsGoblin is evident of that.

Quote:
Other things:

HellKorn wrote:
Geez, I would consider that to be a bit too far out there. I'm kind of lost as to where I tried to showcase you as such.

HellKorn wrote:
I'm not saying that you or anyone else are an awful person for feeling that way (though some of your other comments have made me hesitant).

You completely misconstrue what I say, and assume I'm making judgement calls about how people are worthless and make the above statement, then wonder why I think you might just be trying to slander me and discredit my argument that way? (It mostly bothers me that this strategy is attempted so often and is accepted so readily by many people)

Uh, no, I wasn't trying to discredit your argument. For me, when it comes to arguing, usually it's more along the egotistical lines of, "It's not that you're wrong, I'm just right."

The second comment in parenthesize actually was referring to some of your thoughts on a person's duty when serving their country, if I recall correctly, so my cause for concern wasn't in you "thinking that people like Shinji are trash."

Quote:
You're right, it's not voluntary, so long as you wish to live in this country.

Quote:
You're absolutely right, life isn't fair. But like I said, you have three options before something like this happens:
1.) do nothing
2.) try and stop it (in this case politically)
3.) move to another country where this problem doesn't exist and thus avoid it

If you do nothing, don't try to stop it, and don't try to change it, but still wish to live in this country without having to do the same things that everyone else in this country does, you're an idiot. Living here, despite what you may believe, is a choice. If you wish to live the life of an American, you have to deal with the responsibilities that come with being a citizen here.

Bear in mind what I already said. Some people try to make a change. They fail to do so. They want to avoid the arguably unjust duties that their government places upon them, however they don't have the means to escape it (in this case, money). What's left for them to do,really?

Quote:
I know this is difficult to understand, but I'll say it one more time: if you were really opposed to doing it, there are ways to get around not doing it. You sound like you're really really against the draft, and I can understand that, but that's a problem with the law itself, not a counterexample to my argument.

See the above since part of what you say here is deal there.

Quote:
I'll agree with the part that says medication is given out too often, but if you're trying to imply that in general "medication is for suckers" you clearly don't work with said people.

Uh, yanno, that's why I said "in many cases." Medication is beneficial for some, makes no difference for others, and creates an even worse situation for those left over.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Swissman wrote:
Both POV are equally valid, and what Hellkorn "assumes" is actually common sense, but that doesn't mean it's only reason as to why people hate a character like shinji.

What? Both POV are not valid. Assumptions are never valid (until proven so) even if, in some miracle, they're correct. Taking in somebodies reason for not likeing something is more valid, but still (over a forum) doesn't hold much. Anyway, theperson who tells you why they don't like something is normally more valid.

I based my point of view on numerous observations. My own opinion has been held and stated by countless people before in some form. I'm not simply pulling something out of me ass, here.

selenta wrote:
People may say that, but I would make that case that they are far and away a vast minority compared to the reasoning I gave. It may sound condescending, but let's look at the people who at least seem to have supported my claim on this thread (whether that was their intention when they were posting or not):

coffee wrote:
A large amount of opinions I've read, and one that I'm mostly inline with myself is his non-stop whining and inability to act.

PantsGoblin wrote:
sure, I haven't encountered anything like Shinji has, but I have gone through some pretty difficult situations in my life. But I kept my head high and got through them. I just can't accept him for the fact that he puts next to zero effort into improving anything. He just whines. That's all.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Shinji's half-retarded brain needs to get on the problem at hand and kill those B1tches, then he can complain to somebody...So basically I'm saying that in my point of view, he's either to self wollowing or almost everybody else is heartless and don't care.

Although most of the people posting in this thread are Shinji supporters, these were all the snips I could find where people directly say they disliked Shinji and why. All of them seem to support what I was saying. I didn't see a single person come here and claim they didn't like him because he made them think, or because he made them remember they were watching a TV show with his ultra realistic attitude.

Not of that really goes against the idea that I proposed. Hell, coffee seemingly agreed much with what I said concerning it back on page two, and both PantsGoblin and Iwatch2muchanime have said that they dislike people/dislike people having that trait in real life. Also note I never said that this remains true for every single person who watches it, though it is a concept that can be applied in general because people watch and read entertainment because they want to be taken away from the issues they have/deal with in the real world, so in general they don't want to be reminded of something in the real world. That idea has been around ever since entertainment was established, because entertainment is by and large a form of escapism.

Quote:
Although this comment is not directly for or against what I'm saying, it is a good quote, as it really gets to the root of what I'm saying(and why I was so bothered by HellKorn's one comment), if only indirectly: whether one likes or dislikes Shinji in no way inherently means anything about anything that person's beliefs or values. I didn't dislike Shinji because I didn't want to think about my own life or wanted to avoid some sort of mental reckoning that would have been inevitable had I only been willing to "see the light" by empathizing with Shinji, I didn't like him because he was a whiny brat who didn't do what needed to be done.

Again, read my first few comments in this post concerning that matter.

Quote:
His assumption is indeed relatively reasonable, but in the face of direct first-hand contradictory evidence (well, as strong of evidence as is theoretically possible to provide for opinions), it is not equally valid.

Three opinions that are only looked at from one side does not invalidate an opinion, particularly when that opinion has been expressed before and has been agreed upon.

Antimonitor wrote:
And, although I can understand how it fits with his character and it made sense and all, I lost some sympathy for Shinji spoiler[after the hospital scene with Asuka in EoE].

I'm kind of amazed that people seem to focus so much on that particular scene. (That moment is one of the most powerful cinematic moments that I've ever seen, for a number of reasons.) I believe just the act itself is what people hold against, yet they don't consider that spoiler[he didn't rape her while she was drugged, and his intentions weren't the end results. After everything that he had gone though in prior episodes (allowing Toji to lose his leg, Kaji being killed, Misato mourning over his death and sexually advancing on Shinji, Asuka rejecting Shinji, discovering that Rei is a clone of his mother), I can't exactly hold it against him when he was at wits end, not to mention he didn't do the worst things that he could've done.]
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I'm kind of amazed that people seem to focus so much on that particular scene. (That moment is one of the most powerful cinematic moments that I've ever seen, for a number of reasons.) I believe just the act itself is what people hold against, yet they don't consider that spoiler[he didn't rape her while she was drugged, and his intentions weren't the end results. After everything that he had gone though in prior episodes (allowing Toji to lose his leg, Kaji being killed, Misato mourning over his death and sexually advancing on Shinji, Asuka rejecting Shinji, discovering that Rei is a clone of his mother), I can't exactly hold it against him when he was at wits end, not to mention he didn't do the worst things that he could've done.]

The 'extenuating circumstances' and all of the external insanity putting pressure on Shinji are why I can't completely hate him solely for that act, but I don't think being at one's 'wits end' or not intending the end results are an acceptable explanation/justification/excuse for what he did (would it be an acceptable explanation/justification/excuse if he had gone further?). I think it says something unpleasant about Shinji's character that he reacted the way he did and it's hard for me to sympathize with someone who would respond to stress in that manner. Yes, Shinji didn't do anything worse and that speaks to a better side of his character, but I still hold him accountable for where he did go. I do agree that it's a powerful scene and shows off a few sides of Shinji personality and thought processes, but I can't sympathize with all of those facets.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
and both PantsGoblin and Iwatch2muchanime have said that they dislike people/dislike people having that trait in real life.

I never said I sisliked people like that in real life. Just people in Extremely strenuous situations, and/or situations of Extreme importance. That's when I feel the bitterness towards them GROW!!!!

HellKorn wrote:
Right, Shinji's character was weak and made mistakes. We all do. We agree on this. But I'm just simply saying that after the fact, whether we're criticizing fictional character or criticizing others, it's rather pointless in itself to say "Well, I would've done this differently..." because it's already happened.

I know that, but for fictional characters, especially ones in very famous, or at least the show is, it can be changed for the future (A.K.A. The new movies coming out). So there will be less arguments over this. Although it will be the start of many new arguments about Shinji and Eva.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Secondly, aye, I finally get why the hell this went down the way it did. You were concentrating solely on that portion of my thoughts. I wasn't just stating that people don't like Shinji because they "reconsider themselves or those around them," nor was I stating that this remained true for everyone. My reply to PantsGoblin is evident of that.

Yeah, uh... which reply? If you want to make an argument, I ask that you at least quote or point to what you're referring to, particularly when you've made several replies to what he's said in several different arguably applicable contexts.

HellKorn wrote:
Quote:
HellKorn wrote:
Geez, I would consider that to be a bit too far out there. I'm kind of lost as to where I tried to showcase you as such.

HellKorn wrote:
I'm not saying that you or anyone else are an awful person for feeling that way (though some of your other comments have made me hesitant).

You completely misconstrue what I say, and assume I'm making judgement calls about how people are worthless and make the above statement, then wonder why I think you might just be trying to slander me and discredit my argument that way? (It mostly bothers me that this strategy is attempted so often and is accepted so readily by many people)

Uh, no, I wasn't trying to discredit your argument. For me, when it comes to arguing, usually it's more along the egotistical lines of, "It's not that you're wrong, I'm just right."

The second comment in parenthesize actually was referring to some of your thoughts on a person's duty when serving their country, if I recall correctly, so my cause for concern wasn't in you "thinking that people like Shinji are trash."

I just looked a couple times, and I fail to see such "context" in your statement. I didn't quote it out of place, or miss much context. Your comments were/have been bothering me less and less in the "why I hate Shinji" aspect, and more and more on your reasoning and complete misinterpretation of some of the things I said coupled with you selectively choosing to nitpick at what I say and make judgement statements instead of really addressing my arguments directly.

HellKorn wrote:
Bear in mind what I already said. Some people try to make a change. They fail to do so. They want to avoid the arguably unjust duties that their government places upon them, however they don't have the means to escape it (in this case, money). What's left for them to do,really?

Dodge the draft, be a conscientious objector, go AWOL, seek asylum in another country. I'm not saying they're good choices, but that's what happens when you fail to (or just don't even try to prevent in the case that I'm arguing) prevent detrimental things from happening in the first place. Again, I'm not saying they have to succeed, or even that they have to like what happens and never say anything about it, but if you're not at least trying to change things you don't like, you DO NOT get the right to complain.

HellKorn wrote:
I based my point of view on numerous observations. My own opinion has been held and stated by countless people before in some form. I'm not simply pulling something out of me ass, here.

You seem to be willing to put in the effort to make the claims, but how about you back them up with some evidence and some quotes? Clearly you have the time.

HellKorn wrote:
Not of that really goes against the idea that I proposed. Hell, coffee seemingly agreed much with what I said concerning it back on page two, and both PantsGoblin and Iwatch2muchanime have said that they dislike people/dislike people having that trait in real life. Also note I never said that this remains true for every single person who watches it, though it is a concept that can be applied in general because people watch and read entertainment because they want to be taken away from the issues they have/deal with in the real world, so in general they don't want to be reminded of something in the real world. That idea has been around ever since entertainment was established, because entertainment is by and large a form of escapism.

I'm still waiting for a reconciliation between that one line and your current stance. Although coffee does quote your post and say "it's true", coffee then goes on to make claims about why he heard/thinks other people hate Misato. This is the largely the same issue I was having with your comments: if you don't hold a viewpoint, you can not always understand the reasoning behind it, and even if you understand the reasoning behind it, that doesn't mean that's what other people feel. I did, however, like how you casually restated the other two's opinions as though saying their opinions again suddenly makes them mesh completely with what you've said so long as you say it in an unassuming way.

HellKorn wrote:
Again, read my first few comments in this post concerning that matter.

This is actually referring to your numerous comments like this... but.... "huh?!" How about a little more specific?

HellKorn wrote:
Three opinions that are only looked at from one side does not invalidate an opinion, particularly when that opinion has been expressed before and has been agreed upon.

Actually, opinions can be wrong (if you can really call an opinion of an opinion an opinion, I guess it is, but it's not a true perspective in the argument). To quote the first thing my philosophy prof said to us this quarter: "It is not all opinion!"

HellKorn wrote:
I'm kind of amazed that people seem to focus so much on that particular scene.

I'm not. It's a very powerful scene you're right, but it's also very indicitive of Shinji's true personality and mindset. The reason people focus on it, is because it's not something that would even cross the mind of most people. It is so far out of most people's consciousness that the idea someone would actually take advantage of the situation like that is a little disturbing. Over the course of the show, Shinji did a lot of things that I couldn't quite put my finger on why they were so unnatural and frustrating to watch, but he really obviously crosses out of the potential realm of a normal person with that act; it's something you can point to because it's so far out there.

Yes, he could have gone farther and he didn't; what do you think, he deserves a medal? No, to me, if someone does something wrong, they're punished: if I hit my wife, I go to jail or get a restraining order or something, but if I kill my wife I go to jail for 15 years. If you went to court because you hit your wife, how do you think they would respond when you said "Oh, come on guyz! I didn't kill her!"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animechan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote
shinji is pretty cute and a nice person, but if you ask me i think shinji's life is a bit cruel he's been betrayed by almost all the cast members of the show Sad
(poor shinji)
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Antimonitor wrote:

While the scene of a 14 years old performing such an act was indeed shocking, why does everyone forget that Shinji seemed pretty much disgusted with himself after he was done.

Anno didn't place that scene to spread the Shinji hatred, but to indicate how mentally unstable Shinji was at that time and the madness that he was going through -he had just came out from killing an individual who genuinely cared for him and had an understanding with and now who once was loud and full of life Asuka, completely paralyzed on the hospital bed, I think the scene was also to partially indicate that Shinji was attracted to Asuka. What he did wasn't approved of, but it had a purpose in leting us into how shinji's mentality was at that time.
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anno didn't place that scene to spread the Shinji hatred, but to indicate how mentally unstable Shinji was at that time and the madness that he was going through -he had just came out from killing an individual who genuinely cared for him and had an understanding with and now who once was loud and full of life Asuka, completely paralyzed on the hospital bed, I think the scene was also to partially indicate that Shinji was attracted to Asuka. What he did wasn't approved of, but it had a purpose in leting us into how shinji's mentality was at that time.

As far as the attraction was concerned there were plenty of times in the series that showed his attraction without him jackin off to her while she's catatonic. I do agree though that the purpose was to show how unstable he had truly become.

On a personal level, I hate Shinji. Simply as a person I can't stand him. From a viewer standpoint, he's fantastic. He's totally original, has more depth than any other character, and is relateable wether you like to admit it or not. So from a personal standpoint I hate him with a passion, as a viewer, he's entertaining.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
SinnerTim wrote:

As far as the attraction was concerned there were plenty of times in the series that showed his attraction without him jackin off to her while she's catatonic. I do agree though that the purpose was to show how unstable he had truly become.

That scene happened after he had fantasized about Asuka, Rei and Misato advancing on him, so the chronological order of that scene was perfect -it was to indicate that his feelings towards her went from a simple, chaste attraction to primal lust.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
Though his act on Asuka was bad, he was doing it for pleasure. He was doing to escape the crap he was going through. If he did for pleasure, then you need to explain why he cursed himself after he did it.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
I don't 'get' why people don't like Shinji, really. After I watched the series, I found Shinji to be .... human! OMG! How dare they put human characteristics into an anime character! Seriously, how do you expect Shinji to behave? People that just want him to be "generic Hollywood hero #012478" really don't know what they're asking for - if Shinji was such a character, Eva wouldn't be as good as it is!

Shinji is probably my favorite anime character ever!
ruro niko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Shinji is a fairly human character, but being human does not equal being likable. I personally don't care for Shinji. He is very hesitant and sonewhat crippled emotionally. He has absolutely no self confidence, and while some low self confidence is fine, as I said, pretty much absolutely none. I don't mind characters that are hesitant or afraid to act...at first, but I want them to ultimately make a decision on their own. I want them to have some sort of back bone, even if it takes time for them to find it.

With that said, him being liked or not doesn't prevent Eva from being enjoyed. It gives it a twist to make a show people like while having a main character be so polarized that some people absolutely hate.

And with that said, I hope Shinji gets a bit more back bone in the movies. It doesn't have to be much, but just a bit more than what he had.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek: You win the thread.

Considering most anime heroes before him (with the possible exception of the Gundam pilots...but I've never seen Gundam so what do I know) are a continuous series of good-hearted heroic idiots, cartoony, I think Shinji's realism was quite refreshing. He was a messed up kid, he acted like a messed up kid (holy cow! Blasphemous! Lame! Bring back the good-hearted boring heroes! Consequently I quit anime! wait, that's a little too dramatic ), and though he tried to change, somewhat -- halfway through the series or around that -- events, heck, the frickin' world, collapsed around him, so he came back to being a messed up kid like he started as. Blame Shinji? Nah, blame Eva, or Anno, for being absolutely cruel to his own characters; nobody's gonna keep his or her mind straight when he's pushed to save the world, almost fail quite a few times, kill things, hurt people, and lose friends and mentors left and right, especially not a messed up kid. Realism! In anime! Bull excrementia!~

The thing is, you don't have to like him, you can even dislike him, I don't like Shinji that much myself either; but hate him? For being "weak" and "cowardly" and all that? Uh-huh. Whatevar, Mr. Internet Tough Guy.

The Shinji hate is usually tied into the Eva-hate, though, so in that case I'd count it as a difference in tastes and just live and let live. Indeed, one could say that EVA wouldn't be EVA if its lead character is some sort of Goku and not Shinji "My Dad Hates My Guts" Ikari.
quakeaddict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
I really don't hate Shinji, I actually like him. He's a very human and well developed character and I can understand why he is the way he is and why he acts the way he does. spoiler[His mother died when he was a child and his father completely alienates him, seeming to care more about Rei than Shinji. In addition, Shinji's father seems to only use him.] I think he has a right to be the way he does. I don't necessarily like him all the time, and sometimes I wanted him to pull it together. He frustrated me. But overall, I really liked Shinji, and I was able to connect with him to a small extent (a small extent, but still to an extent).
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
quakeaddict wrote:
I think he has a right to be the way he does.

here we disagree. maybe at the start of the series he has a right to be the way he is. but after his time with Masato and all the kindness he's shown by those around him (Angels or no) he should have been far less of a wuss and brat

quakeaddict wrote:
and sometimes I wanted him to pull it together. He frustrated me.

Exactly what I want to say, there were far too many times I wanted him to get it together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6