• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Skeleton Knight in Another World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I like seeing Ariane smile more and her developing bond with arc. And her flambeing bad guys. I wonder if we'll meet her sister.

I wasn't expecting Takuya Eguchi to show up in a supporting role.

"Canada?" "Maple?" I see what they did there.

Ah, the classic "woman has too well-developed a body to slip through a window" gag. And the gentleman nice enough to look away but not nice enough to teleport her there before she made a spectacle of herself.

Arc runs into a deadly ninja animal girl voiced by Miyu Tomita. Good thing Ponta is a good indication of character.
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm guessing that the ninja is also from another world, since she doesn't seem to expect anyone in the new world to know the word "ninja". But I suppose there are some other possible explanations

I assume their village is so isolated and they're very rarely seen that she assumed know one would know about them, but Arc immediately recognized a ninja.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
"Canada?" "Maple?" I see what they did there.

spoiler[It's because the first founder was a player, assumingly Canadian, or someone with a thing for Canada...]

Quote:
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm guessing that the ninja is also from another world, since she doesn't seem to expect anyone in the new world to know the word "ninja". But I suppose there are some other possible explanations

I assume their village is so isolated and they're very rarely seen that she assumed know one would know about them, but Arc immediately recognized a ninja.

spoiler[Same thing. The one to found the secret village and ninja was Japanese. And, we can assume, a player too.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:17 am Reply with quote
Except for the weekend, this season turned out to be less packed than I anticipated, so I gave this a second chance. I still think it leans too heavily on rape threats as code for "bad guys" though. Ponta goes a long way toward lightening the mood. Still not otherwise seeing much humor in this series, but that's ok.

Quote:
I don't know if it was just me, but the first half of this episode felt unnaturally stretched out—like there were unnecessarily long pauses between sentences just to pad the runtime.

This isn't the only series I've noticed that technique in lately, and it seems to be becoming a standard. Likewise, I've noticed a number of series recently that are relying on long holds on exceptionally close shots of faces for padding as well as to avoid even lip flap. I guess anything to cut corners and save costs on a tight budget. But I don't really mind the pore shots (if anime characters' skin had pores), as long as they're not always just their eyes. At least I prefer these techniques over the classic pans across stills, or worse, cuts to inanimate objects with speed lines.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:15 am Reply with quote
The mere inclusion of rape as a plot device has never really bothered me, especially when it comes to medieval fantasies. Bandits and corrupt nobles have no morals so of course they're not going to draw a line.

How much a show uses it for titillation is another matter. Showing it for the sake of making your audience uncomfortable is different from showing it to make your audience horny.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The king has three children.
Four children, it sounds like. The oldest daughter was married off to a duke.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Arc just preformed the most intimidating kabedon in history.

Astro Boy on line 2...

Quote:
Arc should have removed captured elves' magic dampening collars before they took their pound of flesh.

Yeah, it really bugged me that they sent them off with their collars still on.

Does Arc have a Bag of Holding or something? He always seems to just haul his loot around, and did for awhile this time, but then it all just disappeared around the time they formed their partnership.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
From the bandit scene that opened the show to the whole elven sex-trafficking situation, it's been used as the show's go-to shorthand to demonstrate that the bad guys are, in fact, bad. And while topics such as rape and sex-trafficking can be explored through books, TV, and film, there needs to be more to it than that—especially as it is something that has traumatized so many people in the real world.

Evil in all its forms exists in our world. Really if you think about it when compared to our reality, Skelton Knight in Another World is quite tame about its evil. The events depicted could have been fleshed out in a more darker and soul sucking tone to be closer to the reality of our world. Outside the security bubble of our nation, things are far more dangerous, far more evil, far more depraved, and far more hopeless. In one way Skelton Knight is a breathe of fresh air, in that for their world they are actually doing something constructive. While in our world, we couldn't even be bothered to save lots of school girls in a foreign country.

Some have said that the depictions should not have been shown and been a more background feature. I disagree. They needed to be shown, to get that visceral reaction. That visceral reaction is needed, for what is to come. People complained that Arc was killing the bandits, like they deserved to live and their victims didn't. In that vein, you might say that Skelton Knight wasn't visceral enough if some in the audience are still equating banditry to shoplifting, instead of murder, torture, and rape.

If you didn't like the content of this show, no problem. We are all different. No novel, no manga, no movie, and no anime will appeal to everyone. It is an impossible feat. But the idea that there is some sort of unofficial rules on how content is depicted is censorship. I have been an active novel reader since the early Seventies, and the very idea is an anathema. If people don't like something, then they shouldn't read, listen, or watch something that might be risky content for them. Of course, reviewers have little choice in the matter.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:59 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
While in our world, we couldn't even be bothered to save lots of school girls in a foreign country.
I imagine if someone wrote a fictionalized account of saving girls from Boko Haram, it wouldn't be a whimsical comedic adventure. And if it was, people would be pretty pissed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
While in our world, we couldn't even be bothered to save lots of school girls in a foreign country.
I imagine if someone wrote a fictionalized account of saving girls from Boko Haram, it wouldn't be a whimsical comedic adventure. And if it was, people would be pretty pissed.

You would probably be right if this was an animated documentary, or a loose adaptation, but it isn't. There is a difference between real life events and fantasy events. Yes, some people will not like Skeleton Knight for its content and tone, but that is not everyone. One reviewer wished their was an anime where something was done about slavery. It here it is. But I guess that is not good enough.

There was a complaint about Arc being too happy, that he should be more serious because of the nature of the arc. No one is beholden to other people for our happiness. We only have one life, and sometimes it can be a short one out of the blue. Just because bad things happen in the world, and the world is full of evil people, doesn't mean Arc has to be depressed and sad There is joy to be found in doing good things and in successfully helping people.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a complaint with attempted rape scenes or goofus main characters individually- these are both narrative elements that can be compelling, and worth utilizing. My issue with this show so far- though it has been getting a bit better at it- is that the tonal whiplash of these two elements is occasionally godawful.

Episode 1, as mentioned, is the worst offender. We start with a pretty involved and descriptive attempted rape, before immediately cutting to Arc waking up, being a lovable, funny doofus. Neither of these are inherently terrible scenes (although, I do contend that if you are going to need to a content warning, opening up on the scene you are warning about is a bad decision,) but they are, theoretically, juxtaposed for a reason. This device is generally used to cut tension and highlight the absurdity and humor of the second scene (another example: The hero is facing a villain, in desperate straits. "My friends are on their way" he says. Scene cuts to said friends....who are absolutely lost. Cue laugh track.) To put it bluntly, an attempted rape is used to make Arc seem funnier by the contrast. I'm not a big fan of that. Thankfully, the tonal swerve has been considerably less in this episode. I'm going to credit Ariane's more narratively understandable demeanor for much of that. And yes, rape and joy are both part of the real world. That is both incredibly true...and completely irrelevant. This is not the real world, it is a narrative. And I look to narrative primarily to find a good story, not for grimdark pseudorealism.

There's also the whole "using rape as a shortcut for villainy" point. And its true! No one is actually developed. Not the villains- they're sex slavers/rapists, and therefore evil, which, honestly? I'm ok with that. Not the victims either- the first scene ladies have their names mentioned in an aside once several episodes after and we haven't seen them since halfway through episode 1. What they went through is narratively irrelevant, an establishing throwaway. These elves in episode 5 are so dehumanized they don't even get names, unless I missed something. This is always somewhat iffy writing-though time/space constraints often make it a needed decision- but comes across as particularly poorly here, due to the traumatic personal nature of the event. When frickin Goblin Slayer- as vested as that show can be in shock and disgust value- deals with rape with more care for the characters involved, you may have missed the boat.

Let me clarify- I like this show. I have other quibbles, certainly (you can combine episode 1 and 2 pretty easily, hit the high points, and introduce Ariane to the show a week sooner- which I think would be beneficial,) but I really like our primary characters, and am really intigued by the geopolitical ramifications this episode reveals. But despite putting rape front and center in the narrative, it handles the matter terribly. And just because I otherwise like the show doesn't make that change.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Once again the content advisory is accurate as we get captive elves about to be raped...but luckily Ariane was there for a quick kick to the balls and to let the girls get their much needed revenge.

I'm glad Udolan stuck around long enough for Arc to put the fear of God in him.

I loved Arc justifying appropriating all that gold from Ariane and still taking her money when she offered it even though he so much gold. He really is the protagonist in an RPG.

I like how Arc and Ariane's partnership is coming together and how their relationship is developing, especially now that they're sticking together and she knows what he looks like under that helmet. I wonder if he'll meet her parents...

Ariane can't resist snuggling up with Ponta. Then again, who could? Ponta knows she's irresistible.

I'm curious to see how Arc gets embroiled even further in this kingdoms' politics. I have to imagine he'll end up saving the princess when she goes to make peace with the elves.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello, first as a light novel reader I can say in the book ARC removed the curse collars and the lady’s beat the guy to death with a combo of physical and magic assault. Arc tried to say something but was ignored. Elves revenge was complete also the son was already dealt with when the children were rescued he did not survive the encounter at the wagons. I do not approve the whole just talking heads and wish the director had kept the animation more normal. It cheapens the story over all and seems childish for how the light novel plays out!
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Hello, first as a light novel reader I can say in the book ARC removed the curse collars and the lady’s beat the guy to death with a combo of physical and magic assault.

I was going to say it seemed he got off light (I figured maybe because of his position).
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
A small question- Is there any meaningful distinction between "Elf" and "Dark Elf"? Or contextual meaning to Ariane calling herself a "dark elf" (IIRC). As best I can tell, there isn't really a cultural difference between the two- they live together, freely interact and intermingle. Its just a difference in coloration and maybe a trend toward athleticism.

No specifics if it spoils something later on, please.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny how Ariane and Arc's raid on the nobles' mansion seemed cool at the time but might have been a little...overzealous on Ariane's part. Poor girl. At least her dad understood.

I had a feeling the chief was going to turn out to be Ariane's father. So Arc got to meet her parents! And get beat up by her mom. Never underestimate the pleasant Housewife, especially when a high level and magic don't make up for true skill. I didn't expect to hear an "eternally 17" joke in Elf years.

So Ariane's sister is a siscon who adores her little sister. We don't get to see Eevin fight but it sounds like she's even more dangerous than Ariane, and fully prepared to take on any potential suitors of her sisters. Arc might have his hands full in the future. Although it sounds like her future husband is a lot like her sister in personality, which would explain some things.

Arc is Japanese at heart and of course wants to take a bath...and of course the show couldn't resist Ariane stripping and walking in him while completely naked. Pretty nice view...

It's kind of hilarious how Arc came up with that backstory of being cursed on the fly and it wasn't serious but Ariane and her family are taking it seriously and trying to help him break the curse. And it seems like he actually can uncurse himself with his magic. Human Arc next week?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6