• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Skeleton Knight in Another World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraph89

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
To the above, more like spoiler[dark elf Arc. Since that's what he actually is. Though I think he has the more classic anime dark elf coloration instead of the pale skin dark elves have in the game world. Which is why he gets called a "Strange Elf" instead.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
Well, good news is that Arc can be uncursed, but his own magic can't make it last for longer than a few seconds. But now that he knows it's possible, there's a chance he can probably regain a human form again. Which they'll probably save for a pivotal moment, likely with Ariane there to witness it.

Ariane is a sweet sister for wanting to get her her big sis the perfect veil for her wedding.

I love how Arc is reflecting on how he still has a way to go to master the sword while admiring Ariane being awesome and the wolves are just chomping at him uselessly.

I was expecting they'd kill all the wolves, not that Arc would free the pack leader from control and they'd end up teaming-up in the end. And Ariane got to kill enough to get the material she needed for the veil.

Ponta is as good at sniffing out trouble as she is being cute.

I knew something would go wrong with Princess Yuriarna's travel but I wasn't expecting her to get outright murdered. Luckily Arc has OP regeneration magic that can work so long as the wound isn't deep enough and they haven't been dead long...that should be pretty useful. And historically significant as now the princess thinks she's on a holy quest blessed by God.

So which of her brothers wanted her dead, I assume?

Furry-eared Ninja girl in normal clothes! Looks like we're finally getting a team-up!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
Considering previous episodes I'm surprised the Princess only got murdered and nothing else.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could find a set of clips of the wholesome and cool moments in Skeleton Knight without wading through a ton of the rape highlights.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Considering previous episodes I'm surprised the Princess only got murdered and nothing else.

It could be that they were strictly ordered to kill her, and nothing else. Especially, if it was a family member doing the ordering.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:59 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

It could be that they were strictly ordered to kill her, and nothing else. Especially, if it was a family member doing the ordering.

Entirely possible I'm wrong, given the smallish sample size, but I doubt that's the case. The author hasn't really shown much desire to present villains that are even vaguely sympathetic thus far.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:56 am Reply with quote
It is not a matter of being sympathic. While your family members may want you dead, there may be enough familial bond, that they wouldn't want you to suffer. On a practical note, a "not so clean" death for the Princess of the Kingdom, could have unintended consquences for those who ordered her death and/or move the Kingdom in a direction that could be problematic for them.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:22 am Reply with quote
"Familial attachments" have been utilized to give otherwise villainous characters a sympathetic characteristic before. Its...kind of the short cut to do so. But fair enough, maybe we should instead say "nuance". As in- villains thus far have lacked any kind of nuance (except, if you can count it as a "villain", last week's Ghost Wolf Alpha,), so I hardly assume that a new one will either. That isn't inherently bad, mind. Sometimes a story is better served by having villains who are irredeemably, almost cartoonishly evil. I'm just not likely to attribute, based on the episodes we've seen thus far, the villains in this particular work with complexity in their motivations.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
We have plenty of irredeemably evil people in our civilized world already, and when you leave what we consider civilized areas, "might makes right" in a lot of them. So it shouldn't be strange to see such things in an fantasy world, where security ends at the city or town wall, and the bandits are a law unto themselves. At least until they become a major nuisance and the knights are sent out to find them.
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:15 pm Reply with quote
This is a strange series that throws an overpowered dork knight into a world of scheming corrupt nobles, merchants, and priests in a series as realistic as a PG-13 world with magic can get. There is prejudice, slavery, war for profit, and nobles having their own family killed for temporary power. Arc just wants to help people, particularly children, and is often misunderstood because in this world very few want to help for free. As the series goes on, Arc does eventually get allies that understand but he first ends up perform feats of heroism so great that he is given a chance; and even then, plenty of people will chose to believe him to be a secret bad guy.
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
There certainly appears to be a new trend in isekai stories: spoiler[ having multiple people reincarnate either at the same time (Arifreta, Loner Life in Another World, Trapped in A Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs) or separately (By the Grace of the Gods, Death March, and now Skeleton Knight) ] A skilled writer (i.e. not me) might even have an article or two about the trend.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I am very sorry about the community rating for Episode 8. I accidentally rated it when I meant to rate Heroines Run the Show instead (I have not seen this anime at all, nor do I intend to). All I could do was change my rating to zero, not remove it. If the rating is lower than it should be, that is my fault. I'm really sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
^ While you can't un-rate something, it would be better to change your rating to whatever the current average is at the time rather than giving it a zero. With a show like Kingdom that few are rating, an unwarranted zero would really drag it down, but for this I don't think it will affect anything either way.

Yeah, as soon as they mentioned the Founder living 600 years ago, I thought time is passing very differently here. I guess it depends on the relationship between this world and the game. Which came first? Did someone who'd been there manage to return and then create the game based on their own experiences, or did the game somehow give rise to the world?
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Yeah, as soon as they mentioned the Founder living 600 years ago, I thought time is passing very differently here. I guess it depends on the relationship between this world and the game. Which came first? Did someone who'd been there manage to return and then create the game based on their own experiences, or did the game somehow give rise to the world?

Or maybe there was more than one game? Perhaps the first person played one that took place 600 years ago and now Arc was playing the sequel (or an expansion or even just a story line) that took place 600 years later.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it's just me being to be too big-brain about things, but I don't think Arc's conclusions necessarily mean much. Practically speaking, yes it's most likely how things will play out because the writer probably wants to do something or other with that potential connection to "home" for Arc.

But, from a macro perspective, there's no reason that has to be the case. "Someone" created this world, as it is the world of a game he was playing. As such, conventions such as "ninjas are secret warriors from the East" that are rote in irl fiction, and even using those names as titles, would fit with the thinking of any developer/designer/etc.

I guess what I'm getting at fundamentally is a sort of existential question on the formative basis of this world. Is this "fiction world became reality", in which case the revelation about the 600 year old ninja tradition would not presuppose anyone from "the real world" was in this world before Arc and it could be a hollow presumption. What he learned would simply just be history of this world, the relation to his reality just a consequence of the fantasy world's designer rather than an isekai'd inhabitant. Or is this world a "true multiverse" wherein the two worlds always existed, someone from our/Arc's world did get isekai'd and left behind a bunch of cultural stuff.

The first option is actually tidier, as it has a more logical flow with fewer avenues for getting lost in the weeds. The second one introduces a complex time dynamic as this other individual would have had to have been isekai'd likely in close temporal proximity to Arc, but for reasons got dumped 600 years further back in this world's timeline. Or else it sets up the creator of the game as a sort of "traveler" type author - went to the other world, came back and wrote a story and made a games based on what they saw.

Really the issue I think that sent me on this tangent is that given all the other rather blatant fantasy trope elements that make up this world, that Arc is keenly aware are fantasy tropes, with his knowing he's in the world of a game he was playing, the "reveal" that someone else might have been also transported to the game at some point just doesn't seem to be setup as solid as you would hope. It feels too much like it was thrown out there for Arc to get excited about, and fanboy out over, without really being pinned down into the story all that well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6