• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rising of The Shield Hero Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
THe problem is not so much the episode is bad, it actually had decent animation and some well animated scenes and enjoyed the extra bits with the gangs as it expanded them a little.

However that is also the problem, if they had an extra episode to work with than why the heck last weeks felt like a rushed finale? hell it could of used this ep to pace the final section or any of the story really. It really does feel more like an ova than anything else.

Honestly i have no idea what the makers of s2 were even thinking, the direction and story is all over the place, sometimes i can help but wonder if this went trough several different directors as it is pretty inconsistant. Maybe covid had something to do with it? I dont know

Well whats dones is done i guess, it was ok but it really feels like it wasted a lot of potential, i just hope s3 is better done than this and maybe get there act together. Cause SH is potential great franchise seeing how s1 was made, so they need to take care of it better if they want this franchise to stay afloat.

6.5/10 Conclusion: An Somewhat ok series with a squandered potential.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I don't mind episodes like this since sometimes the material is covered with an episode left over. But with the overall pacing issues, this does feel like a waste. The previous episode was rushed, and the Spirit Turtle episodes could have done with some extra time to build up instead of just jumping into a battle and telling us how dire things are. I'm wondering the same as Thespacemaster. The season was clunky enough that I could easily believe different staff members were working on parts of it with only a vague idea of what the others were doing, and then it was stuck together at the end.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this was a fun episode, with some fanservice (the Raphtalia fashion show complete with all three girls in swimsuits or the Ost sex talk) and decent character interaction. Even the animation felt more on-point than it has in past episodes.

I guess just the weird thing is that it felt more like an OVA episode than a proper final episode to the season, especially compared to how the prior episode felt more like a finale. In a way this felt like an epilogue and recollection bringing the whole season together, but still an odd way of ending it.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Kizuna is a delight of a character and pretty much saved this dumpster fire of a season for me. I enjoyed getting to see more of her back story, though I would have liked to have gotten more of her friendship with Glass than a Castaway rip-off.

Her suicide attempt was discussed during the season, so that didn't come completely out of left field.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7