• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Aharen-san wa Hakarenai

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkAudit

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Friends on another forum getting triggered by twintail braids megane Aharen-san.

Some maniac went so far as shopping her onto the front page of THAT doujin. Shocked
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I am 99% sure that the joke behind Ishikawa and Sato's characters is that they have no personalities at all—they just stand in for the general concept of "friendly classmates." They're mobs' mobs.

(Of course, it's possible I'm wrong and that they hide some dark secret, but I doubt it.)
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Maho-chan Sensei's affliction is so strong she broke the fourth wall for a moment and hit the "camera" before she passed out Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
Have they said where the Aharen parents are? I mean, that was at least 2 grand worth of tuna she bought, so the family seems to be doing well! Very Happy

At least Raido wasn't Gakuen Handsome this week, though he still nearly killed the teacher and most of the class, not to mention his little sister.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Raido got a strong case of the Ikemen. And it was super effective! At least until he got better and no one cared anymore.

Poor sensei lost so much blood last episode and now she has to deal with Raido stripping...

"It's a bigger Aharen!" - Immediately darts his eyes towards her boobs.

I thought Eru would be the oldest sister, but it turns out she's the middle kid. Once again the younger sister is taller and bustier than her older sister. And she may be a tsundere but she cares a lot about her family and seems like she was growing to appreciate Raido.

Hmm...Aharen talks about Raido all the time. He finally visits her house. Her siblings accept him. Aharen can barely handle it when he says her first name. Yeah, Raido may as well be part of this family already.

Of course Raido would offer up his wallet which would also, of course, be empty. Good thing Nui is always there to help!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember how the anime ended, or anything else about it, really. But as a big fan of the manga, I gotta say... expecting literally any meaningful romantic development out of Nozaki-kun is a fool's errand. If the anime ever set up that expectation, then that's probably a big part of why I found it so underwhelming and forgettable.

In general I think comedy manga is hard to adapt. Like everyone is loving Spy x Family this season, but honestly it comes across as pretty lethargic compared to the source material. I wonder if Aharen is similar, and the manga pacing makes it less of the slow-burn slice of life with occasional gag humor that the anime often is.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I guess having your girlfriend serve you tea and food in a snowman igloo that you mistook for being there to destroy humanity is the perks of having Aharen as a girlfriend.

That was a surprisingly erotic scene of Aharen taking her stockings off to massage Raido's back with her feet. And then she tries to steal kiss...

I thought Oshiro was avoiding them to give them space, but in fact she's preparing to duel Raido. Uh oh.

We finally get some Ishikawa and Sato development. They're not just classmates who are interested in the development of Raido and Aharen's relationship

Holy crud, Raido was actually right! I thought for sure she was just spending so much time finding the perfect outfit for her mall date with Raido, which she did, but she legit was getting ready for their Beyblade equivalent. And Raido had one the whole time too. And the girls end up stealing the tournament. At least Akkun is finally paying attention to Futaba.

It seems like Aharen is trying to correct Raido's misconceptions like she can read his mind now.

Futaba pointing out they were on a date and Aharen being kind of oblivious to it was perfect.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, now the ZZ intro is stuck in my head.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:30 am Reply with quote
I love how episode 11 continues to avoid the big question.

There are lots of visual references in this episode. In the beginning, Raidō was reading Denkigai no Honya-san, another manga by the author of Aharen-san. While building the igloo, there was a shot of Amigara Fault (Junji Ito) and of Moskau (Dschinghis Khan); not sure what the shot between them references.

MFrontier wrote:
...Raido was actually right! ...she legit was getting ready for their Beyblade equivalent...

This show has been setting us up for ten weeks, letting us get used to Raidō's delusions, now finally having them be right for once.

Episode Review wrote:
some accidental(?) innuendo in the dialogue

No way it was accidental. The innuendo is present in the original Japanese, too. The humor comes from the lines being delivered completely flat.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks, now the ZZ intro is stuck in my head.

You’d think Aharen would be more keen on “Silent Voice”, though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a great ending to a nice surprise hit this season. I hope we get a follow up Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:56 pm Reply with quote
This really was such a delight of a series.

It's not often you get a series with hilarious comedy, extremely likeable characters, fun dynamics, and a genuinely well built-up romance arc with actual romantic resolution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2