• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Collision

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bananaClown

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
You need to stop comparing this to the anime adaptation. This clearly is adapting directly from the original novels and is exactly the same.
timber

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:00 am Reply with quote
Seeing episode 33, I could not help but notice the striking similarities between how the Alliance's democracy is being subverted and how Putin did it in Russia.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:38 am Reply with quote
I would rate episode 34 higher, because it featured Poplin, my favorite character. I only wish he was featured as much as in the OVA, but he gets a lesser role in the books DNT is sticking closer to, at least until the later books.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Overall episode 34 was a much higher note for me. For all the political intrigue episodes we just went through (not that they weren't awesome) it was nice to finally get back to a battle again and I thought as a while both from the music and a visual standpoint things looked and sounded amazing. I do agree caselnes felt a bit toooooo laid back with just reactions to everything rather than trying to actually get the enemy off guard a little.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I like how the adaptation handled the measuring of cannons. Probably the most amusing part of the adaptation thus far for all the wrong reasons.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:57 am Reply with quote
I find the battle scenes pretty uncompelling myself. I'm much more interested in the politics and personal interplay.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I find the battle scenes pretty uncompelling myself. I'm much more interested in the politics and personal interplay.

The strategy more than the 'big spaceships go pew pew pew' for me, but yes, the personal stuff and the politics are handled really well I think and the show never paints things as just black and white, so many shades of grey on both sides.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
Ok question for book readers. Not looking for spoilers here and I havecwatched the old 80s version of this show and have a rough idea where episode 36 is gonna end. With that said is it fair to assume that this third season will cover all of book 3?
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so this week's review uses an expression that's a good jumping off point to discuss some of last week's criticisms: "textbook tactics."

LOGH is often criticized for establishing "genius tacticians" who use very "basic, textbook tactics." The impressive strategies Yang and Reinhard pull off have been established for millennia. Usually this is attributed to Tanaka Yoshiki either not being terribly well-informed on military theory or lacking the imagination/creativity to construct an entirely new branch of military theory for space combat. Thinking in three dimensions is hard, yeah, so who can blame him?

But what is overlooked is that LoGH takes place in a very deliberately anachronistic society. There's a reason the Empire is styled more to resemble Prussia or Austria-Hungary than its namesake Galactic Empire from Star Wars; there's a reason why the FPA is similarly styled after early-20th century revolutionary militaries. As a historian, Tanaka shaped the setting in such a way as to np be just as evocative of the distant past as the far future. The fleets of capital ships thousands-strong is a near 1:1 analog to the infantry of the ancient era; fortresses and planetary defense networks like Iserlohn and the Artemis Necklace likewise stand-in for ancient castles, fortresses, palisades, etc.

This is also why there's so much emphasis on the abilities of singular strategists: it's not because the series is embracing the "great man" theory of history (I'd argue it does the opposite, portraying most changes as inevitable products of cultural inertia, but that's a topic for another time) but because there is no textbook.

Modern military theory has been iterated and expanded on for thousands of years, across hundreds of wars, and countless battles. But military theory in LoGH? It's only a little over a century old.

Pre-Imperial records and history were actively suppressed; most of the Imperial population are uneducated serfs, and the nobles had no real incentive to learn about tactics or educate themselves on military theory. And the Empire itself is born amidst a genocide of unprecedented proportions -- an incalculable loss of life and culture. Meanwhile the FPA was founded by escaped slaves.

So much of the "genius" of these innovative tactics is simple rediscovery. It's implied that the only real reason the war has lasted as long as it did is because the Empire never really tried very hard, while the FPA did, one-sidedly exploring and establishing functional theory and putting it into practice. The Empire controlled the Corridor and had an overwhelming superior position (more money, more resources, more population, all by several orders of magnitude). They also had a vested interest in maintaining the war in perpetuity as it provided a means to shelter fallen noble families while simultaneously providing noble houses with opportunities to make names for themselves in combat, affording them a degree of potential upward social mobility that would not otherwise exist.

All of these factors combine to create a scenario where the Empire was always going to be vulnerable to the FPA, always on the brink of collapse (as Reinhard says early on, all empires eventually topple). The issues plaguing these governments are systemic. The addition or removal of any of these characters would never fundamentally shift the greater outcomes. What Yang and Reinhard are doing is little more than either accelerating or decelerating these changes. Made especially clear if you "zoom out" to the final outcome where spoiler[Reinhard and Hildegarde institute a cascading series of reforms intended to reduce the authoritarian power of the monarchy and transition the Empire to a more liberal, egalitarian state--these are not new ideas they're advocating, but rather those of the "reform faction" which was already positioned to become a major political power in the wake of the Goldenbaum's collapse, regardless of what or who came after.]

It's also important to consider that, for Yang specifically, his heightened stature in the FPA is as much down to his own abilities as the it is the fact that in the opening battles of this story (starting with... I think it was the... Battle of Astarte and 3rd Battle of Tiamat?) the Alliance lost almost all of its veteran commanders. Yang very quickly became one of the most experienced commanders in the FPA, and has been deliberately propped by by state propaganda as a hero more than once. The presence he exerts over other characters, even in the empire, is as much the result of that hype as it is the result of his own accomplishments.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
Ok question for book readers. Not looking for spoilers here and I havecwatched the old 80s version of this show and have a rough idea where episode 36 is gonna end. With that said is it fair to assume that this third season will cover all of book 3?

Seems like it. We're currently at chapter 7, and each book is roughly 9 or 10 chapters total.

Sorry if too much. I blame the ASD. Curses!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:23 am Reply with quote
well this ep more or less confirms my theory about kempf becoming a massive death flag!

the signs were too obvious!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The issue with the FPA is that Yang is the only talented admiral they have, the rest of his entourage are well drilled in the fundamentals of line of battle and logistics but cant think beyond the numbers game. Meanwhile Reinhard has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talent, though he did personally seek them out.

The FPA is technologically inferior to the Empire, their ships are incapable of atmospheric flight, lack artificial gravity and compensate for a deficiency in range (though this adaptation doesnt portray that with both fleets always opening fire at the same ranges) and quality of cannons by packing more into their ships. The Empires fighters are also markedly superior. However their capitalist-consumer economy is capable of matching the Empires feudal agrarian economy in industrial production and If they had ever put their full resources towards fighting the war would have triumphed. However they were content with the status quo of regularly raising massive fleets containing a couple of million sailors then sending them 'over the top' into the Iserlohn corridor to be massacred.

(One of my main bugbears with the setting is that the 400,000 that escaped the Empire in a hollowed out comet with no supplies and and who had dwindled to only 160,000 by the time they charted the Iserlohn corridor and reached Heinessen went on to match the Empire militarily and economically a century later and from founding despite fighting a 150 year war with annual casualties in the hundreds of thousands if not millions went on to have a population and territory 2/3rds that of the 25bn in the Empire in only a 250 years).

As with many works written in Japan during the period the novels are an extended case study in the innate corruption and selfishness of Republicanism and the strength but moral decline of absolute monarchies instead idolizing Fascist military-authoritarianism (of the Reinhard and later Yang resistance) as a purity of government that cuts through the bureaucracy. The ultimate winning government in this space opera charting the ideological war of Militarism, Monarchy, Republicanism, Capitalism and Theocracy being Constitutional Monarchy, tempering democracy with a controlling hand to prevent its devolution into corrupt populism.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
I'm confused that we are getting an episode 37 next week when I thought 37-48 weren't being released until starting in October in movie formats
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2