• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I just want the Forgers to be happy and have all the family outings and adventures in the opening. I haven't read the manga, but it didn't take long for the anime to win me over.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:38 pm Reply with quote
insert name here wrote:
PEANUTS!

CHOCO FLAKES!

Obviously, wherever this is, the big American junk food companies have already won.

All the junk food in the supermarket has American names. I think. Unless that's just what psuedo-central europe already calls that stuff, I don't know, I have to admit I've never been there.

But Anya is precious no matter what.

Last edited by Nom De Plume De Fanboy on Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Only watched two episodes and it's already one of my favorites. The interactions between the family is written incredibly well. Normally people are annoyed by really small childish characters but Anya is hilarious as heck. The marriage was also epic due to how the used the "engagement ring". I hope it becomes popular enough to last more than one cour.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Only watched two episodes and it's already one of my favorites. The interactions between the family is written incredibly well. Normally people are annoyed by really small childish characters but Anya is hilarious as heck. The marriage was also epic due to how the used the "engagement ring". I hope it becomes popular enough to last more than one cour.
I think its already confirmed to be two cour (split cour), so youre safe on that front. The manga is extremly successful so I think were in AoT / Demon Slayer complete adaptation territory with this one.

Personally, I really enjoyed the first two episodes. I dont think I enjoy it as most people do (alot of people are placing it oin GOAT territory), but I'm looking forward to more.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The premier episode was great, probably 4.5-5 for me, but the follow up, while still very good, wasn't quite as great, maybe 3.5-4. It might be that after the great premier I hyped up the second episode while waiting for it, but it could also just be that there was so much less Anya Laughing
Anyway, really looking forward to continuing this, just have to try to resist binging the manga now Laughing
Speaking of the music, definitely a bit disappointed that [K]NoW_NAME is working on the music, but not providing the opening and/or ending to the show. Maybe in the second half?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I love how the Opening mentions the peanuts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:12 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling Yor's cluelessness is actually part of her creation as an assassin. When she got the phone call and heard her handler's voice, she got that red-eyed Switch-ON look as if a different personality had taken over. It's not that she's entirely split - she knows she's an assassin and doesn't lose time or anything like that, but when she's not in "assassin mode," she's just being her real, shy, socially-inept self, which is like the perfect cover in itself. If her creators had made her super-savvy and socially confident, she'd have to be acting all the time when not on a mission, and she'd eventually slip up. This way, she's got one lie to keep track of, not dozens, and her ditziness is authentic, so there's little for her to worry about, exposure-wise, except for her meddling brother and being turned in for being single. The latter actually seems like something her handlers should have already taken care of, since it's apparently a huge deal in this oppressive society.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So far I'm also loving the voices, and if I'm not sold on the opening song itself, the visuals definitely make up for the time it will take for the music to inevitably grow on me.

The OP is by Official HIGE DANdism, one of Japan’s most popular bands of the last few years. Considering the ED is by Gen Hoshino — like HigeDan, a fixture on Kouhaku Uta Gassen over the last few years — I can’t imagine what it cost to get that kind of musical talent onboard.

Personally, I like the song (“Mixed Nuts”, currently #6 on the Apple Music Japan Top 100 chart), and the OP overall reminds me of high energy openers like Baccano’s “Gun’s & Roses” and Cowboy Bebop’s legendary “Tank!”
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I get the feeling Yor's cluelessness is actually part of her creation as an assassin. When she got the phone call and heard her handler's voice, she got that red-eyed Switch-ON look as if a different personality had taken over. It's not that she's entirely split - she knows she's an assassin and doesn't lose time or anything like that, but when she's not in "assassin mode," she's just being her real, shy, socially-inept self, which is like the perfect cover in itself. If her creators had made her super-savvy and socially confident, she'd have to be acting all the time when not on a mission, and she'd eventually slip up. This way, she's got one lie to keep track of, not dozens, and her ditziness is authentic, so there's little for her to worry about, exposure-wise, except for her meddling brother and being turned in for being single. The latter actually seems like something her handlers should have already taken care of, since it's apparently a huge deal in this oppressive society.

I like to think of Yor almost like a superhero (you know, except for the murder). Her true self is kind of socially inept and goofy, but when it's time to go to work, it's time to put on the mask and go to work. Twisted Evil
Nev999

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it's interesting so many people are (manga spoilers) spoiler[ assuming Yor has no/little agency and that she was bred for this and is merely a puppet for the organization she works for. I guess because that's so common a trope for assassins in media, but ESPECIALLY female assassins. While Yor did enter the trade as a child and her choices were limited, and her org is predatory for allowing that, the manga does make it clear as an adult she feels she can quit if she wants, she's not particularly afraid of her boss, that she vets her targets (and makes sure they're bad people) and she does have agency and believes in what she's doing. This actually makes me grateful the manga didn't go that route and make Yor the usual "murderdoll girl who robotically kills, but only because she tragically doesn't know better and is the attack dog of an evil man, because we have to maintain her innocence". It's so expected and done. Instead, she does morally questionable things of her own accord, despite being kind overall, because she feels it's for a good cause...much like Loid does.]. I hadn't realized, but that actually is pretty subversive in a way.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:43 pm Reply with quote
the first 2 episodes have me craving more, Anya and whomever her VA, are really killing it right now. So Far I think Wit Studio has hit another one out of the ball park.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The premier episode was great, probably 4.5-5 for me, but the follow up, while still very good, wasn't quite as great, maybe 3.5-4. It might be that after the great premier I hyped up the second episode while waiting for it, but it could also just be that there was so much less Anya Laughing
Anyway, really looking forward to continuing this, just have to try to resist binging the manga now Laughing
Speaking of the music, definitely a bit disappointed that [K]NoW_NAME is working on the music, but not providing the opening and/or ending to the show. Maybe in the second half?

I have read the manga and watched both episodes and agree with you 100%!
kurichan69

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
So far I'm also loving the voices, and if I'm not sold on the opening song itself, the visuals definitely make up for the time it will take for the music to inevitably grow on me.

The OP is by Official HIGE DANdism, one of Japan’s most popular bands of the last few years. Considering the ED is by Gen Hoshino — like HigeDan, a fixture on Kouhaku Uta Gassen over the last few years — I can’t imagine what it cost to get that kind of musical talent onboard.

Personally, I like the song (“Mixed Nuts”, currently #6 on the Apple Music Japan Top 100 chart), and the OP overall reminds me of high energy openers like Baccano’s “Gun’s & Roses” and Cowboy Bebop’s legendary “Tank!”

The OP is absolutely NOT on a level with with either of those openings you mention. Those are both high energy that will stand the test of time. This one? It's a pleasant forgettable little song. I think the visuals are interesting but I'm definitely with Rebecca on this one in that I probably will grow to not mind the song, I'm sure if people just heard the song and didn't connect it with the show or see the visuals, they wouldn't really think much of it. I'll never put it on a play list but won't hate it, either. So disappointing when a show you love has a meh OP/ED.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Gotta give props ─ serious props ─ for including Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. A childhood favorite!
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

"Gun's and Roses" was my ring tone for many years. "Mixed Nuts" would never make that grade.

Actually I've been rather disappointed with the OP/ED music for recent series. Haven't heard anything lately as good as these or this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20