• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:08 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
SaneSavantElla wrote:
... I'm curious as to why these first graders are already being taught fractions... but to be fair they're supposed to be 'elite'. I guess fractions are often considered one of the first stumbling blocks in math, huh?...
We saw in an earlier class scene that they were also learning algebra, so I assume these kids are on some mega-advanced curriculum for 6-year-olds.
Everything depends on the child and they way they are educated. This is one of the major reasons teaching exists as a discipline and what is going so wrong in the education system, there is no valid universal formula, books and tests aren't enough and everyone learns differently and at different rates. Teachers expert in child education techniques and learning styles as well as being "good with kids" are key along with a child's self-motivation. And I know from experience with my daughter that some kids at least are capable of understanding elementary math concepts as early as 3 years. When I was in school in the '60's, the average 8 year old in my class was doing fractions.

Some private schools and home-schoolers understand this and studies show demonstrably higher test scores at grade level when individual attention/tailoring/coaching are used. I believe the "elite" kids would have gone to "preparatory schools" who IRL use those techniques before entering EA and I think that is the reason for the seeming "advanced" starting level. And I assume in the world of SxF that just being in a wealthy/powerful family wouldn't be enough for a slow-learning, non-motivated child to get past the prep school phase and entrance exam of EA. Don't sell Anya short for getting in with less than a week prep, she's probably a genius!
Regalli

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I for one also fully believe that Anya is a year or two younger than the other kids in her class and lied about being six at the orphanage so Loid would take her. Which is a LOT developmentally when you’re talking early childhood. So this would likely be a pretty tricky topic for the average six-year-old on Day One of first grade (okay, sure, I know kids are being taught fractions young these days, but the Pythagorean Theorem?!), the other kids have probably gotten WAY more prep than Anya did at the orphanage (probably one of those fancy kindergartens that assigns homework and goes over multiplication,) AND Anya’s brain is just not at the stage to process fractions yet, which makes it all the more impressive she’s keeping up at all. I’d bet if you compared her to other 4-5-year-olds, or if she ever reaches a point where she can catch up to her classmates before their next big developmental milestone, she wouldn’t be struggling nearly as much.

(Compare her to Becky, in particular, who’s relatively normal by the standards of a school for the obscenely wealthy. The way they think and react’s clearly REALLY different, and given how the first episode sets up the ‘she looks too small, I need a six-year-old’ ‘I’m six!’ exchange I really think the intent is ‘Anya isn’t actually six.’)
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Nah, Gina has a fair point. While I understand manga fans are excited about stuff coming up in the anime and also want to talk about the manga's events in relation to stuff going on in these early bits, it's also on us to keep context in mind and not discuss future anime events without at least putting spoiler bars over it.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I do agree with the sentiment: any discussion of future events should be in spoiler tags. But no events were mentioned.

This is little different than claiming that the title of the series is a spoiler because the titular Spy doesn't have a family in the opening scene. Again, there's a difference between plot and premise.

But, I mean, if you want to try and convince me that "spoiler[a dog exists]" is such a juicy detail that it needs to be literally secreted away, I'll try my best to understand.

EDIT: also, while I'm here, I gotta say that (MAJOR SPOILERS!) spoiler[there are, in fact, multiple dogs present in this story.]

Shocked Errinundra
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm watching this series too, you know. So I'm inclined to hit possible spoilers with a sledgehammer without checking them closely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:45 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'd rather not know about new characters that haven't been revealed yet -- it's not quite the same thing as directly revealing a major plot point, but, for example, it can make it obvious if a relationship in the show is temporary or not, which otherwise can be a point of dramatic tension.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:13 am Reply with quote
One way we stopped manga spoilers at AnimeSuki was to have separate threads for manga series and told readers to post there. Are there similar threads here?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:18 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
One way we stopped manga spoilers at AnimeSuki was to have separate threads for manga series and told readers to post there. Are there similar threads here?

Yes, there's an entire forum for manga here, but most people seem to ignore its existence, unfortunately.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
Rebecca's review of episode nine caused me to raise my assessment of the episode, as I found Yuri's one-note joke to be tiresome, despite the effective and genuinely funny slapstick that ensued.

But off to a sour beginning (for me), the truly wonderful developments of the last half of the episode weren't enough to reconcile me. But Rebecca is right --- the developments in that part of the episode really were great, and a tantalizing hint of possibilities to come (no doubt years and years and years from now --- this is a wildly successful shounen manga, after all).
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
Another episode but I wonder why the part of Yuri was not finished in the prior episode since it felt like the same gags. Nevertheless, Yor's handling of this marriage might be difference considering she seems to have a bit of inferiority complex due to how she talks about her love life. The thing that makes me doubt a bit is that if Lloyd and Yor are actually gonna fall in love considering what the latter said about her feelings in the latest episode.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote
The return of drunk Yor was appreciated. Girl is aggressive and vicious but still a pure (lethal) maiden at heart.

I love how she didn't intend to slap Yuri the first time but she did the second time. Guys' numb to his sister beating him up at this point.

Sleepy Anya is a mood. Also of course she doesn't know what "Secret Police" are but just thinks it sounds cool.

Massive siscon having a locker filled with her pictures is to be expected.

Gotta love how Yuri made Loid more suspicious of Yor than any of the other massively suspicious things Yor has done up to this point.

Franky really committed to this role. It's just too bad Loid ruined it for him before he could use his more attractive face to pick up chicks.

I'm glad Loid and Yor were able to come together in the end despite their personal doubts and Loid was able to give Yor emotional support. And you can see he's touched by her loyalty and care as well. Despite themselves they're really growing fond of each other. And Anya is happy her mama and papa are getting along.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
The return of drunk Yor was appreciated. Girl is aggressive and vicious but still a pure (lethal) maiden at heart.

I love how she didn't intend to slap Yuri the first time but she did the second time. Guys' numb to his sister beating him up at this point.

Sleepy Anya is a mood. Also of course she doesn't know what "Secret Police" are but just thinks it sounds cool.

Massive siscon having a locker filled with her pictures is to be expected.

Gotta love how Yuri made Loid more suspicious of Yor than any of the other massively suspicious things Yor has done up to this point.

Franky really committed to this role. It's just too bad Loid ruined it for him before he could use his more attractive face to pick up chicks.

I'm glad Loid and Yor were able to come together in the end despite their personal doubts and Loid was able to give Yor emotional support. And you can see he's touched by her loyalty and care as well. Despite themselves they're really growing fond of each other. And Anya is happy her mama and papa are getting along.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
I for one also fully believe that Anya is a year or two younger than the other kids in her class and lied about being six at the orphanage so Loid would take her. Which is a LOT developmentally when you’re talking early childhood. So this would likely be a pretty tricky topic for the average six-year-old on Day One of first grade (okay, sure, I know kids are being taught fractions young these days, but the Pythagorean Theorem?!)...

(Compare her to Becky, in particular, who’s relatively normal by the standards of a school for the obscenely wealthy. The way they think and react’s clearly REALLY different,,,
Really good points to bring up for context and consideration! As time goes on, it is evident the writer has a keen understanding of kids' behavior and development and the Anya/Becky divide aptly highlights that. I agree too that the Theorm is a huge stretch to be teaching for that age range but the teacher's "explanation" was so poor (sounded like my worst teacher), I wonder if he is an example of a "not so good" or misguided teacher. Or maybe that is intended to show how the curriculum is intended to challenge and "stretch" the students?

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Him doubting/tailing Yor felt like a stretch in so many ways. If she really was supposed to seducing him she'd already be "the perfect wife" (or alternatively she wouldn't be asking co worker for tips to be the perfect wife since they'd be going for clumsy wife persona). She would also almost certainly be trained to find bug and would have noticed when he planted his. They also wouldn't have made the mistake of Yuri revealing he was a secret agent so clumsily. I understand what they were going for, but it felt a bit sloppy in execution.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:50 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Him doubting/tailing Yor felt like a stretch in so many ways. If she really was supposed to seducing him she'd already be "the perfect wife" (or alternatively she wouldn't be asking co worker for tips to be the perfect wife since they'd be going for clumsy wife persona). She would also almost certainly be trained to find bug and would have noticed when he planted his. They also wouldn't have made the mistake of Yuri revealing he was a secret agent so clumsily. I understand what they were going for, but it felt a bit sloppy in execution.

I mean, you have to remember, not all spies are equal. Twilight is a super-spy who impresses even others in his field, whereas they flat out state that Yuri's only been in the secret police for a year (after all, his rookie mistake of drunkenly quoting the handbook is the only reason Twilight was able to pick up on his lie). If (theoretically from Twilight's POV) Yor was a spy, it's totally possible that she's also a rookie... or just really bad.

Regardless, interrogating Yor wasn't really about finding out if she was a spy, it was more about finding out if she knew about Yuri's secret police status.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 20