• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Twilight's mission relies on Anya to befriend Desmond's son

Maybe my memory's a little foggy, but I don't remember this ever being mentioned before, just that Twilight has to get close to Desmond during a social gathering. As an anime-only viewer, I'd appreciate it if spoilers weren't mentioned in these reviews, even if they're minor.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Twilight's mission relies on Anya to befriend Desmond's son

Maybe my memory's a little foggy, but I don't remember this ever being mentioned before, just that Twilight has to get close to Desmond during a social gathering. As an anime-only viewer, I'd appreciate it if spoilers weren't mentioned in these reviews, even if they're minor.

Twilight's mission is simply to get close to Desmond's father. That's it. Befriending Desmond to help Twilight is entirely Anya's idea. Nothing close to a spoiler here... it's the premise.
Regalli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:24 am Reply with quote
What’s the easiest way to get in with someone who only really shows up in public for his son’s school events? Your kid decides to befriend his son giving you a very easy way to start a conversation. She doesn’t HAVE to, but it makes good sense since she’s secretly aware of the mission.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Twilight's mission is simply to get close to Desmond's father. That's it. Befriending Desmond to help Twilight is entirely Anya's idea. Nothing close to a spoiler here... it's the premise.

Again, same issue. When has it ever been stated that Anya wants to become friends with Demond's son? I'm fine with predictions made by people who don't actually know how the story will unfold, but it's a little annoying when manga readers spoil future developments, however minor or predictable. Yeah, I'd predicted Anya would try to befriend Desmond's son eventually, but I don't want to know if my prediction is right beforehand.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, agree with Coconut -- even minor spoilers are not appreciated, and I don't remember either detail being disclosed in the show yet (but maybe my memory's also bad). Aggressive speculation is fun, though, especially if flagged as such.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Befriending Desmond to help Twilight is entirely Anya's idea.

Has she had that idea in the anime yet? If not, it's a spoiler. If so, then fine, I missed it, my bad.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
^^It was explicitly run down today in Ep6 14:10 by Loid but I'm fairly sure not anywhere prior except in manga. spoiler[Her plan to read the best students' minds to get to the top of the class was disclosed in Geoff Thew's rundown May3 in a manga panel image.] Loved her reaction at reading Desmond's mind as he is thinking Anya has "fallen for him" though! Geh! indeed... Plus, that delightfully evil smile has arrived! Love that it's her version of a forced smile, in the same vein as LtCmd Data in STNG. And how she shifts instantly from an adoring look from Becky's impression of her as mature to the "heh" face for Desmond. This show is still hitting on all cylinders and I can't be more hyped for more!
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:14 am Reply with quote
You pointing out the Hana yori dango comparison is so hilarious because in the fanbook the author literally confirms that Damain was inspired by Tsukasa.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:22 am Reply with quote
Picking an example from over 25 years ago is DEFINITELY dating yourself, but these days we're all doing that to ourselves ahaha. Growing older with this hobby is fun like that.
Danny Fain

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
Handan?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Picking an example from over 25 years ago is DEFINITELY dating yourself, but these days we're all doing that to ourselves ahaha. Growing older with this hobby is fun like that.

It is, isn't it? Very Happy Although I checked and HanDan is still getting new live action adaptations to this day - the most recent finished airing in April of this year!

Danny Fain wrote:
Handan?

Short for Hana Yori Dango, also known as Boys Over Flowers. It's a shoujo series from the 90s that's had an anime adaptation and tons of live action adaptations. (You may also know it as Meteor Garden.)
CheerSong

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:58 am Reply with quote
I have to give it to Spy Family, it doesn't fail to deliver the satisfaction of characters deservingly getting punched in the face!
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to think this series is an experiment to increase the birth rates as everybody is finding Anya adorable. This time we got more Yor screentime which was probably more hilarious when Anya uses her as a flashback to learn what to do like the first Spiderman movie: With great punches come great responsibility.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:57 am Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty funny that Loid was stressing over the cost of the uniforms and supplies like any normal parent has to, after the no-expense-spared escapade at the castle.

I liked how Anya went straight for the mission goal, inviting herself to Damian's house right off the bat. I'm also impressed once again with her powers of observation. She might have a super-power to help her navigate the world, but it was simply her own two sharp eyes that let her notice Damian stepping on Becky's foot. Plus she had the audacity to pull out that time-tested classic, "He ran into my fist." Loid is second to none at choosing the very best orphans!

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun May 15, 2022 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Jeez seamstress, don't terrify the poor girl! Although Anya does end up getting kidnapped, so I guess she knew what she was talking about...

I love the old school spy entrance.

Sylvia! I love how they introduce her legs first and lecturing Twilight about all the excessive spending in the last episode. And he just hands her more expenses.

Loid has no expectations about Anya's educational future. Understandably so, she's already at an intellectual and height disadvantage because she's younger than everybody.

I love the Anya roll and Anya showing her outfit off to everybody. She's too cute!

Yor really seems to be growing into a proper mother for Anya. Right down to proudly declaring herself as Anya's mother as she takes care of some thugs endangering her daughter. Now she just needs to grow more into seeing Loid as her husband...

Damian! Becky! The kids are finally here! And the face that launched a thousand memes is finally in anime form!

I love how Yor taught Anya that violence should be used as a last resort (also, ponytail Yor and bun Anya!) and should use smiles instead to defuse conflicts...none of which quite had the impact she intended. Although it helped Anya and Becky become friends.

Dat punch. Anya has the strength of her mother and the silver tongue of her father.
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Don't you just love how they take what was basically a gag chapter and turn it into a really fun full episode? That's the markings of an S-tier adaption.....Good thing she was too tipsy to balance in her heels properly.
Well, actually the heel broke which is a common enough occurrence when fighting, as Princess Endorsi can attest (ToG).[/quote]
Yeah, but it seems in general Yor moves around and fights in heels, so I think the impression was she was too drunk to properly balance herself so her heel gave out. Or maybe she uses stronger heels when she's Thorn Princess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 20