• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:
Picking an example from over 25 years ago is DEFINITELY dating yourself, but these days we're all doing that to ourselves ahaha. Growing older with this hobby is fun like that.

It is, isn't it? Very Happy Although I checked and HanDan is still getting new live action adaptations to this day - the most recent finished airing in April of this year!

Danny Fain wrote:
Handan?

Short for Hana Yori Dango, also known as Boys Over Flowers. It's a shoujo series from the 90s that's had an anime adaptation and tons of live action adaptations. (You may also know it as Meteor Garden.)

Is it HanDan or HanaDan? The latter seems to fit the kana better, and it's what I'm seeing on the Japanese Wikipedia page.

(Aaand now I'm thinking again about how shojo manga hasn't had a blockbuster hit like that in well over a decade. Even Kimi ni Todoke -- which peaked around 2012 -- never hit the numbers that Nana was doing in its heyday.)
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Feels like my Crunchy subscription is for the exclusive purpose of being able to watch Spy x Family and Kaguya-sama lately, and I don't regret that one bit. Two genuinely hilarious anime in a single season feels like an embarrassment of riches.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Is it HanDan or HanaDan? The latter seems to fit the kana better, and it's what I'm seeing on the Japanese Wikipedia page.

I always heard it as HanDan, but I agree that HanaDan works better. For all I know, it was a weird regional thing (in the US) that we all called it HanDan. (Or a dumb young fan thing. I'll believe either.) I haven't had the chance to talk about it in years, so this was an exciting opportunity. Wink

Quote:
(Aaand now I'm thinking again about how shojo manga hasn't had a blockbuster hit like that in well over a decade. Even Kimi ni Todoke -- which peaked around 2012 -- never hit the numbers that Nana was doing in its heyday.)

I know. Depressing to think about. We've had good shoujo titles, but nothing getting that sort of recognition that I can think of.
Nev999

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:58 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I'm starting to think this series is an experiment to increase the birth rates as everybody is finding Anya adorable. This time we got more Yor screentime which was probably more hilarious when Anya uses her as a flashback to learn what to do like the first Spiderman movie: With great punches come great responsibility.

It would be a stretch of an experiment, considering Anya is adopted.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I know. Depressing to think about. We've had good shoujo titles, but nothing getting that sort of recognition that I can think of.

I don't even know what counts as a big shoujo title nowadays. Io Sakisaka's latest series, maybe?

It's hard to tell from the Oricon charts, especially since the top 50 volumes for 2021 (according to a version I saw on Twitter) included 18 volumes each of Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen. The remaining volumes were from Tokyo Revengers, One Piece, Attack on Titan, Spy x Family (hey, the topic circled back around!), and Kaiju No. 8, all volumes that sold more than a million copies. There's no space there for smaller hits, even something as big as Kingdom or MHA.

At least the first-half-of-2022 chart comes out in a couple weeks. Those tend to have more diversity; there were 19 different series represented on 2020's. Even that was all shonen and seinen, though, except for Wotakoi and what looks like a Doraemon prequel. And Wotakoi was a web manga, so I don't know that I'd count it as shoujo or josei. I had to go back to a 2018 chart to find unambiguous examples of those (Love Me, Love Me Not; CCS Clear Card; and Chihayafuru).

EDIT: I just remembered -- Do Not Say Mystery had that live-action drama recently, and it's gotten some impressive sales figures. That might be our current top tier for josei.

Last edited by Shay Guy on Mon May 16, 2022 1:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Generations

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
"Hello, who's there?"
"It's Yor."
"Yor who?"
"Yor mama"
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:18 pm Reply with quote
You're actually not dating yourself at all. The mangaka did say that Damian was indeed intentionally based on Domyouji
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:45 pm Reply with quote
What can I say but another great episode. After their exchange, I was hoping to hear Yor call Anya just Anya (instead of Anya-san), but maybe it's too soon. It'd be nice to see though Smile
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:
Picking an example from over 25 years ago is DEFINITELY dating yourself, but these days we're all doing that to ourselves ahaha. Growing older with this hobby is fun like that.

It is, isn't it? Very Happy Although I checked and HanDan is still getting new live action adaptations to this day - the most recent finished airing in April of this year!
Really? The second season shot a major scene at my college. Right around the time I enrolled. I feel like I just got carbon dated.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I too will admit to being a dinosaur here for getting the Hana Yori Dango a.k.a. Meteor Garden a.k.a. Boys Over Flowers vibes this episode (and hopefully future episodes) is blessing us with.

We're only on the 6th episode but so far Spy x Family has dropped quite a few pop culture and anime inspirations already -- on top of the spy film genre, we're unmistakably getting
- Harry Potter (I actually first thought of Damian as more of a Draco character than a Tsukasa one) with all the Houses and the point awarding system introduced in this episode;
- Promised Neverland with the orphan testing (cursed though the S2 may be) and given the "Not-East-Germany" setting, spoiler[Monster] vibes as well.
- It may be a stretch now, but given Anya's powers, this could easily go into the superhero genre too, if it chooses.

It has something for everybody, but it still manages to make it all cohesive and entertaining; no wonder it's enjoying this much popularity.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
Befriending Desmond to help Twilight is entirely Anya's idea.

Has she had that idea in the anime yet? If not, it's a spoiler. If so, then fine, I missed it, my bad.

Uh... yeah. It's pretty implicit.... Anya is telepathic and obsessed with spy cartoons. She know Lois's mission and wants to help out because she thinks spies are cool. That's... that's her entire thing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
I guess we're watching different shows or something. Anya befriending Damian was entirely Loid's idea, and Anya didn't seem to have that on her agenda at all until she heard Loid thinking about Plan B (and her main take-away from that seemed to be playing at his house - I'm not entirely sure she actually heard the whole of Plan B, since there were no sparkles still around her head when the camera cut back to her. She might've been preoccupied listening for her name, and only really absorbed the play-date part).

She just wants to help the mission by getting Stars and not getting kicked out of school...and somehow playing at Damian's house. I'm not even sure she counts playing together as being his friend, or realizes that friendship is a prerequisite for an invitation, given that she immediately invited herself over in the form of a demand, and has done nothing else to be friendly. Holding her temper for the sake of the mission seemed more to keep from getting demerits or expelled than trying to foster a friendship. Considering her background, Anya may not truly grasp what a friend is or how to make or be one. Sad
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:

We're only on the 6th episode but so far Spy x Family has dropped quite a few pop culture and anime inspirations already

My sister pointed out that I forgot to mention that the secret elevator to Sylvia's lair is quite possibly a Get Smart (the old TV show) reference, too. Or just a generic spy thing, but as a Mel Brooks fan, I'm going to pretend it's a direct reference.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:59 am Reply with quote
As someone who was already loving the heck out of Spy x Family, it being heavily and openly inspired by my all time favorite manga series HanaDan just makes me love it even more, which I didn't even know was possible.

It's getting harder and harder to resist reading the manga ugh!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
My sister pointed out that I forgot to mention that the secret elevator to Sylvia's lair is quite possibly a Get Smart (the old TV show) reference, too. Or just a generic spy thing, but as a Mel Brooks fan, I'm going to pretend it's a direct reference.

Sure it is. For those too young to have seen it:

https://youtu.be/ElqZms_SUjg

His Hillman Sunbeam convertible was my favorite car as a teenager. Never got to drive one, but I did own a Fiat 2000 convertible later in life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 20