• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Real talk though, Marie is attempting the Dark Souls of dating—and as the relationship is built entirely on a web of lies, I don't believe for a second she can pull it off.

By Dark Souls do you mean like 'hard mode'?

Personally, I think like what you mentioned by Olivia's 'game mechanics', holds true for Marie. Once Marie tripped the five princes 'flags', she, sort of, 'force majeured' the princes into loving her, forever. True love. Even before the fight, all the princes were hopelessly lost in love. As the great Rowan said, "Choose Wisely".
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the source material, but I assume this is the end of volume 1? The ending didn't go as I expected; actually, it was much more satisfying this way. Marie got what she wanted, technically, but not quite.

Episode Review wrote:
In her attempt to rush to the harem ending...

Did Marie actually change the timing of events? I get that she was stealing Olivia's position, but it didn't seem like she was speeding up the plot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Marie is attempting the Dark Souls of dating

Having no knowledge of Dark Souls, I have no idea what this means.

I'm moderately entertained by all the machinations, but I think I'm mostly here for Luxion and its cheeky commentary.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Really wasn't expecting this one to be my favorite isekai of the season, but at this point it is. I think its Leon- writing an mc character who is an "entertaining jerk" is kinda difficult, and while I was unconvinced at first, the show seems to be pulling it off.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
I haven't read the source material, but I assume this is the end of volume 1? The ending didn't go as I expected; actually, it was much more satisfying this way. Marie got what she wanted, technically, but not quite.

Episode Review wrote:

Did Marie actually change the timing of events? I get that she was stealing Olivia's position, but it didn't seem like she was speeding up the plot.

Yes, this is the end of volume 1 in the novel.

Leon said that the events in the game take place over a 3 years time period. Marie rushed all the romance flats in like 6 months. The problem with this kind of rush is that it didn't leave much time for the 5 love interest to grind and level up enough, especially when rushing the plot points alsospoiler[ rush the final bosses.]

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Having no knowledge of Dark Souls, I have no idea what this means.

Basically in Dark Soul there is no level requirement for the bosses while you have to manually level up, that mean you can stay at level 1 and challenge any bosses in the game(and many pro gamers did). What Marie is doing is speedrun with no grinding, the problem is that she isn't very good at the RPG part of the game and this is no longer a game.
EB01

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
Real talk though, Marie is attempting the Dark Souls of dating—and as the relationship is built entirely on a web of lies, I don't believe for a second she can pull it off.

Personally, I think like what you mentioned by Olivia's 'game mechanics', holds true for Marie. Once Marie tripped the five princes 'flags', she, sort of, 'force majeured' the princes into loving her, forever. True love. Even before the fight, all the princes were hopelessly lost in love. As the great Rowan said, "Choose Wisely".

Well hopefully they are not referring to a visual novel like Saya no Uta (I went into that one oblivious of the themes of that game).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
...What Marie is doing is speedrun with no grinding...

Thank you. I think this is the answer I was looking for.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:30 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:

Leon said that the events in the game take place over a 3 years time period. Marie rushed all the romance flats in like 6 months.

Ah, so you're saying that the player had the choice of when to trigger romantic events?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Speaking for the devil, Marie probably did it that way to beat Olivia to the punch. Then again, she could have done it to enjoy the good life earlier.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
inwill just say that this is by far the Isekai that makes the best use of being trapped in a game world.

the previous posts just drive that point home even better.

i really like the timing of the anime series, as long as the only cover book 2 we are fine. it would have been really cool to see the end of ln 3 , but with this pacing i would rather wait and watch it get a full Coeur.

once you get used to the trapping of low budget anime, there is nothing particularly wrong here.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Speaking for the devil, Marie probably did it that way to beat Olivia to the punch. Then again, she could have done it to enjoy the good life earlier.

Well, judging by Marie's likely true identity, she never actually beat the game herself. So she only has a vague understanding of its structure and plot.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:

Sorry. Calling something the "Dark Souls of X" is a kind of tongue in cheek way of saying it is the pinnacle of difficult. (While the gaming spheres and anime spheres often overlap, I guess that wasn't the case this time. My bad.) What I was trying to say is that Marie is not only trying for a polyamorous relationship--which is already dating on hard mode--she is attempting to have a polycule of 7 with herself as the focal point. I cannot imagine anything as exhausting as trying to make 6 other people feel loved and emotionally supported at the same time--especially once she runs out of Oliva's lines from the game. And more than that, poly relationships require a huge level of trust and transparency between all members as so many people's feelings are intertwined. The fact that she is lying to them about her own feelings and personality (by acting like Olivia) pretty much spells doom for the whole relationship.

KarlFranz wrote:
Basically in Dark Soul there is no level requirement for the bosses while you have to manually level up, that mean you can stay at level 1 and challenge any bosses in the game(and many pro gamers did). What Marie is doing is speedrun with no grinding, the problem is that she isn't very good at the RPG part of the game and this is no longer a game.

While this is not what I was intending to say, I do 100% agree with it.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

Leon said that the events in the game take place over a 3 years time period. Marie rushed all the romance flats in like 6 months.

Ah, so you're saying that the player had the choice of when to trigger romantic events?

No, she knew what the events were and basically manipulated things to make the events happen sooner than they originally would since she knew what caused each boy to fall in love with the protagonist in the game.
TheWa_rudo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:

Episode Review wrote:

She made events that were supposed to happen over the course of a few years happen in a few weeks to months.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

It's not like she has to wait for the game script to present her with the events. Her brother already covered all the single routes so he probably already gave her the flags. All she has to do is incite the events herself, given real world availability. The only thing she doesn't know is the "harem" ending, since he died the night he got it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6